Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to Archery Talk but looking for recommendations for a new bow. I currently have a '97 High Country Max Force that was given to me as my first bow a few years ago and looking to retire it (this is also the only bow I've shot). I'm 6'4, 300 lbs, 31" draw. I was thinking about an Elite Energy 35, Elite Tempo, or Athens Ridge 34, but since i haven't shot any of these, i was wondering what everyone's thoughts were. If there are any other bows that y'all would recommend, i have ears to listen. Mainly just looking for a smooth draw and quiet, but able to reach my draw length. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey there, new to archery talk too but not to archery. Before I could give an opinion on what bow, what are you looking to do? Is hunting or target shooting your end goal? If you dont know yet that's okay too!

How much are you looking to spend? For the money you cant beat something like the Stinger extreme but it only goes to 30" draw. The Drive XL is a great deal too and not much more price wise. Theres the Beast too, which accommodates long draw as well if you want to spend a pretty penny. I am partial to PSE though... I know hoyt has the Double XL as a competitor to the beast.

To be honest I would try to find a shop with knowledgeable staff (ideally not a commercial sporting goods store like dick's) where you can shoot a variety of bows and get a feel. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
What are you going to do with this bow, I'm guessing hunting since you want quiet? What is your budget? I have a 31" draw also. For hunting my choice is a Xpedition Denali (34" ATA) because it is very easy to tune (hybrid with yokes), has an IBO of 345 with a 7" brace, excellent fit and finish and only weighs 3.9 pounds, you can find used ones for under $500. I have an E-35, they do have isseus with the coating on the cams flaking off, but it doesn't effect performance. The Elite is an excellent bow heavier and slower and can be harder to tune than the Denali, I have seen them used for $300. The Prime Centergy Hybrid LD (long draw) is another great bow, great shooter, holds well, I just bought my second (camo for hunting) one fully loaded for $450, about the same speed as the Elite. The Primes are a little trickier to tune, and they have a weird ping sound to them (can be tamed with a heavy hunting arrow, CHL bar and spiders on the string) I think they have about the best fit and finish of any bow made (Xpedition is close) Hopes this helps. I don't care for heavy bows that don't have perfect balance or cams that don't feel good at 31". Hope this helps

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
I am also 31". I would look for a used PSE Evolve 35. The evolve cam system is one of the best cam systems on the market today.
I had a Evolve 35, top rearward balance which can be fixed with front stab weight, hard to tune and I didn't care for their camo, seemed cheesy in quality. I did like the cam, but not as much as the Xpedition, but go shoot one before buying and see what you think. I traded mine for my first Xpedition Denali, and I was very happy with the trade.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be using this for Hunting and casual shooting with my father-in-law and brother. Always been told that longer ATA bows are easier to hold steady, but just looking for a forgiving, quiet, and smooth bow. Thank you all for the input and keep them coming.

·
Grumpy Old Man
26,842 Posts
I think you would be very happy with several of the Elite models....the E35 and Tempo as you mentioned, and also the Victory 37. As none of those models are currently made you would mainly be looking for a new leftover or a clean used one here in the classifieds, on Ebay, or in one of the Elite user groups on Facebook. Shouldn't be much trouble picking up one of those models new in box in the 400-500 range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts