Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im shooting a fred bear trx 32 i bought 3 years a ago. It shoots good but i thinking about buying the new mathews xt. I shot it a my local pro shop and what a differnce between my fred bear. I just can't push my self to spend that much money less i know my shooting will increase. i plan on shooting indoor this winter. My bear shoots good now but im also shooting off the string with out drop away rest just a two prong. Do you think i should keep my bow or buy a new Mathews. Do's a good bow make that much of a differnce? I have only shot midrange bows and not top of the line ones. Any suggestions will help. Im shooting at 28" draw and about 250fps with the fred bear.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I think you have to answer this question yourself. I don't know your budget or money situation. I have one passion in life now and that is archery. I do it all. None of it as good as I would like. Before, you buy the XT, I would look around a little more and try some other bows. I would compare it to the BowTech Tribute and the Hoyt Trykon and if possible the Martin Slayer or the Rytera Bullet-X.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I was told by a veteran archer that anyone who has a bow that is 4-5 years old is missing out on a lot of technology. No reason to buy another bow, but they have made huge advances. A three year old bow probably includes most of the major advances. It is always fun to have a new bow, and I garuntee you that you will shoot better. Not because it may be a better bow but getting a new box gives you short term super shooting powers!!!! So, if you like the bow you got and it shoots well, keep it; or atleast wait until the 07's come out!

·
Registered
467 Posts
If your going to hunt and shoot indoor with the same bow I would go with a little longer bow. Look at a Martin Cougar/Razorx/ my favorite so far Slayr or a hoyt ultratec/Protec Mathews Ovation/apex or Bowtech Constitution.

I have shot all execpt the Apex and IMO these are the best all around bows from the big 4.Just try as many out as you can before buying than try your best to wear it out :wink:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Why a Mathews? Ever shot one?
One thing to try is upgrading some of the equipment other than jumping to a $600+ bow and using old accessories.

Maybe just upgrading some of the items like the rest and/or sights....
a good release can do wonders.

Then if you STILL need that expensive bow, you can swap over all your other goodies too. That is what I did. Decked out a lower end bow with good accessories. Then when I was ready to upgrade my bow, I had all the other stuff I wanted as well. It helped my better my shooting on a tight budget until I could afford to make the leap into a high end bow.

·
Registered
816 Posts
jamesp59 this is the decision I had to make

I have a 1997 Alpine that I can shoot very well. I was still shooting my overdraw and aluminum arrows. Shot this set-up well for many years, I'm guessing close to 18,000 arrows and have not had much problems (knock on wood):rolleyes: I wanted like heck to buy a new bow this year and decided against it. Yes I could have probably afforded a new bow but man are they expensive...and are they worth the extra money. Some would say yes and that I'm insane for shooting a bow this long. I can pick this bow up and shoot great groups time and time again.

I didn't get a new bow but upgraded many things.

Lost the overdraw and single pin adjustable sight.
Added:
Trophy Taker Rest
Extreme RT900 sight
Beman MFX Classic 340's

I'm shooting 258 ft/sec and still shooting good groups. Yes I could drop $800 on a new bow and some new accessories but will I shoot any better? Probably not, more than likely I'd gain 30 to 40 fps but I'm up 20 to 0 in the deer jumping my string category.

So if you're shooting it well and killing them dead I don't see the point in spending the extra $$$ on a new set-up. Matter of fact your set-up is a lot newer than mine.

Next for every Mathews shooter that can shoot his set-up very well there are 8 that are just shooting the latest and greatest to make up for something. (That ought to get the pot stirring) I love nothing better than out shooting the Mathews/Bowtech shooters that love to run there mouth about how good there bows are yet can't shoot them worth a darn. Then again a XT shooter the other day did put me in my place but I never up front said I was going to kick his butt. I know my bow and how I can shoot it and that is all that matters to me.

Josh

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I'd lean more towards the "upgrades" to your present bow, trick it out with one of these high end sights, and, rest, releases. Like mentioned, after your bow is setup with the upgrades, swap 'em over to the new bow, if you decide the upgrades don't make your current bow shoot like a new one!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts