Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting a new bow for Christams this year and am having trouble on deciding on what brand/model to get. I really like Mathews and was looking at an SQ2. What are some other bows that are similar in price/performance of this bow.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Why, a Martin Cougar 3 would work just fine....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I love my Bowtech Extreme VFT. Fast and accurate, with a great grip. I also like the Hoyt Razortec, AR 31, and the Buckmaster G2. Shoot as many as you can, you'll know when it feels right! You might just want to get a gift certificate for a local bow shop that carries a few different brands. That way you can see what's new for 2004. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
definately look at the archery research ar37 also a great bow in the same price range and shoots like a dream
rob k

·
Registered
434 Posts
From what I have read about the different bows it really doesn't matter too much which one you get..... So I would suggest you get out there and hold and shoot several different bows and pick the one that you feel most comfortable with....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't get caught up in the brand hype. Shoot alot of different bows from different makers. Pick the one that works the best, not the one the maker says is the best. I shoot a Hoyt right now, but next year I may not if I like something better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Try as Many as you can!

This is true! I agree, dont get caught up in all the marketing!!! Try
Dartons/Martins/Hoyts/Matthews/PSE/AR(archery research) Jennings as koon said you'll know when it belongs to you---just let that be your only guide--dont worry about anything else!

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
the best bow would be the one that YOU like best ! go to your local pro shop and try a few out , you may like the mathews best or you may find that you like something else better , whatever feels most comfortable in your hands!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I had a sq2 and liked it but now have a Legacy and love it! At my local pro shop the legacy is only $30 more that the sq2.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Shoot whichever one works the best for you. I know it isn't much help, but most any bow out there today will do a pretty decent job. I currently shoot a Mathews Feathermax. Sure, it's not new, but it works. I like a couple of Mathew's offereings. Then again, I think when I'm looking at a new bow, Bowtech will be right up there on the list of bows to check out. Just looking at the speeds they put out it seems like they might be a little extreme. But, look at the reviews of them from fellow archers and they sound great. Not only fast, but accurate-despite the awesome speed, quiet, and solid. Bowtech has really made a name for themselves in the last couple years, and it doesn't sound like hype.

I would start with the name brands like Martin, Darton, Hoyt, Mathews, PSE, Bowtech, etc. The one you shoot the best is the one for you.

peashooter

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You are getting some good advise from some experienced shooters above. I can't add much except to reiterate the fact that you ought to buy the one that you like to shoot best. Shoot it before you buy. Good luck.

·
Registered
852 Posts
What are you going to use it for??? I currently hunt, and 3D with a Mathews Ultra Max, and shoot spots with a Mathews Conquest Pro, and both have served me VERY well... I would say, that IMO, the Hoyt Ultra Tec is the best "all around" bow currently produced... You really can't go wrong with any of them - the advice to shoot a few, and see what you like best was spot on... one thing I will say, is that I wouldn't own a bow that was less than 35" A to A - no point in it... My Ultra Max is 36", and I've never had ANY problems with it in any treestand, as far as size is concerned... With bows smaller than that, they usually are either: difficult to shoot well, or doggie, performance wise, IMO... Don't buy into the "smaller is better" hype - after all, see any of the TOP shooters shooting anything smaller than 35"????

- georgestrings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts