Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a new bow on the way and wanted to know the best procedure for getting it to shoot tacs. (perfect tuned). This bow will be used for 3D only. I have been shooting bows for over 10 years and do my own set up and tuning but caint say I have ever had a perfectly tuned bow because I was only setting it up for hunting only. Here is what I have on the way.
2011 Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus
GTX cams
29.5 Draw (Im 30" and shoot 1/2 D-Loop)
63# Limbs 2000 xt pros
Limb driver rest ( I have experence with this rest.)
Easton Fat Boys 500s
100 glue in points.
What would your procedure be on setting up a new bow to be perfectly tuned (arrow flight)? I also have several stabilizer in length ranging from 20"-30" main bars and 10"-14" side/back bars I will play with after I get perfect arrow flight. I will be shooting a CBE quad lite 3D with CBE scope.
Im only looking for info on getting the bow to shoot perfect arrow flight at all distances. Step #1, Step #2, Step #3, ect........

·
Bears Den Precision
3,634 Posts
Start by setting the bow to specs, these can be found on the mfg's page. Once specs are set, install rest, and d-loop, sight, etc... Start with a brief paper tuning to verify nock height. Next, move on to a bareshaft paper tune. From there, move to a walkback tune shooting 3 arrow groups at various distances. IOnce this is done, you should be set and ready to go. Remember, you need to tune the bow with all the accessories (side bars, stabilizer, etc...) that you plan to shoot with. For 3-d circumstances, I prefer nib points that glue in to the shaft for better fit and a streamline arrow.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Go to easton archery, go to the software or downloads page and get the arrow tuning guide. That is considered the last word in tuning. Also, do not get the arrows until you measure the actual peak weight of your bow.

Do not bother with bare-shaft tuning because it is not recommended for compound bows.

After the bow is setup to spec, then follow the easton arrow tuning guide and your bow will be setup as good as it can get.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
This process has served me well in the FITA ranks for many seasons.....take it how you will.

I shoot all of my compounds bottomed out with an even tiller. I use a bow square to set my nock 1/64th high, and a center shot tool for centershot...this is my square starting point.

Everyone puts different forces on the bow as they shoot, so from my square point I paper tune for a bullet hole with a bare shaft, then shoot 3 fletched and 3 bare from 10-15 yds...if they group, great...if not I'll move the rest (checking my paper tear) or vary the point weight until they group together. From there I will do a walk back tune from 18-90M with fletched arrows, and finally a group test at 90m.....works like a charm every time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
also with squaring your bow up its different for what type of release you use. if you shoot a mechanical release your nocking point will be roughly an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch higher above perfectly level

1 - 6 of 6 Posts