Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, hoping to get some realistic and honest answers her.
Here's my story...

Bought a new ready-2-shoot-bow (pse stinger) last oct. After shooting it about 60 times I noticed a popping noise that wasn't resolved by taking it back to the shop 5 times. Sent the bow to pse the first of Jan and got it back 2 weeks later. Started popping right out of the bag, and they (pse) didn't do anything more that I had done. PSE and the store swapped it out for a new bow, which subsiquently started popping again after about 40 shots. It seems, after calling pse today, that I have the new 'fix' and they might have to send me another module.

They admit this isnt a 'permenate' fix, after prompting them so what to do..what to do ??

I'm thinking of jumping ship and trying to find another bow. My real question and concern is this - my old bow...popping that it did, shot 289 fps with 287 grain broadheads.

What are my options?

suggestions are appreciated.
thanks.

·
BOWHUNTING ELITIST
3,686 Posts
honestly, spend more money. what i'm saying is go top end. as with alot of things in life if you cut corners trying to save money you end up spending more in the long run. i doubt there is any bow that 'someone' hasn't had a problem with

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
honestly, spend more money. what i'm saying is go top end. as with alot of things in life if you cut corners trying to save money you end up spending more in the long run. i doubt there is any bow that 'someone' hasn't had a problem with
I agree with P&Y, while it may suck to spend the extra money up front for a "high-end" bow, in the long run it will be better off. Plenty of AWESOME deals on GREAT bows here in the classified's for CHEAP!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
"289 fps with 287 grain broadheads"

Your bow probably keeps popping because you are shooting spear heads on the end of your arrows. :D I'm sorry I couldn't resist.
Welcome to AT, by the way. I would find another bow because you probably feel a little snake bit with your current model/manufacturer. Whichever one you settle on, shoot it and have fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, they are working with me and I appreciate that - as it shows to their character even with a ~$400 r2s bow. Just getting into bow hunting, I chose that model based off of several things - and one of them was cost.

I'm not sure how far PSE/shop will go - but the shop already offered the first time to credit me against a new bow - from pse or someone else's. That's still out there I believe - but looking at the speed this bow is shooting - the only reason I'd like to change is broken down to 2 things - 1 is smoother (isn't that always better) and at least 20 to 25+ (realistic) speed. That limit's my choices - even by doubling the $400 cost I originally paid.

to answer the arrow question - I'm shooting Gold Tip 5575 XT arrows with 280 'bare' weight, and 100g ..so the weight is actually 380.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
It sounds to me like your speed is pretty good for a bow that IBO's at 304. I will be happy if my 60 lb Axe will shoot a 380 arrow at 289. As far as the noise, it seems like it would be an easy fix. Alot of guys on here will tell you that minor things on bows and accessories can make alot of noise. I would try to fix it and sell it if you are already unhappy with it though. You will probably remain dissatisfied with it if you are wanting the performance of a high end bow. I have been 110% satisfied with my Brute over the past 3 years and it was cheap, but generally you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree with P&Y, while it may suck to spend the extra money up front for a "high-end" bow, in the long run it will be better off. Plenty of AWESOME deals on GREAT bows here in the classified's for CHEAP!
good advice, but if hes got money in this bow, he may have to stick with dealer to resolve problem. In the future, dont be afraid to go after what your looking for in the classifieds. good guys. best of luck

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Welcome to AT my freind, once thing I have noticed with lower end bows (except mission archery) is that u usually get what oyu apy ofr.

We have a used PSE stinger similar to the one you described earlier that is for sale up at our shop that a customer left for similar reasons. Shot it for about 8 months and was not happy with it...compplained of it making noice. I never asked him what it was doing but it may be the same thing you are speaking of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm curious 'bout the classified - and issues, especially since I'm new to bows and this sport. A couple of questions might help out - if anyone has some realistic (from experience) comments -

do 'used' bows still have the same warranty as new ones ????
what if you buy the wrong one - do you have to just 're-sell' it again??

·
Registered
680 Posts
Get to your bow shop and shoot the Mathews Z7 - Hoyt Maxxis - Bowtech Destroyer etc. etc. These are all smooth great shooting bows that will even give you more speed than you are getting now. Or if you want to stay around $400-$500 buy a used Mathews Switchback on AT. Still one of the best hunting bows ever made . Good Luck

·
ROAD CREW
3,092 Posts
Being new, for now, I would stick with the advice of a pro-shop you trust. Not that you haven't recieved some great advice in this thread, but having someone that can walk you through things, work with you face to face, and help you hands-on will be the best way to make sure you have what you need and it's right for you. Stick with things you can see, feel and shoot for the time being to make sure you like it before you buy it. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm like you, just getting started with archery and limited funds. I was lucky though and bought a used bow from a co-worker. Switchback XT with drop away rest, 4pin sight and quiver for $400. Had to spend $60 for a new cam to get the draw length right for me (26.5") a release, arrows and a target. I don't have anything to compare it to but I'm really pleased with it. I will be doing some upgrades but they will be spread out and fit in my budget. I could hunt with it today if something was in season (and I was a better shot!). I'm glad I chose the route I took. I was a bit leary of buying a used bow but after looking around on the web I could see that I wouldn't take a beating on the deal if it turned out archery wasn't for me. I could probably make a few dollars really beacuse I got such a good deal. Turns out I'm already hooked though, I love to tinker too so I've been reading all I can, plan on building a press soon. Hopefully I won't need the bowshop anymore but I'll buy what supplies I can from them so they'll still be there if I would need them.

peace.
unloaded

1 - 20 of 64 Posts