Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kentucky Country Boy
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to get an old PSE takedown recurve 50# with brand new limbs. How heavy an arrow should I shoot.

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
hy -

And your draw length would be?
BTW - You mean weight, spine or shaft size?

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
ky -

29" 1916 + 125 gr head = about 445 gr.
Start with that, and then let the bow tell you what it wants.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
I ended up with 2213 for my old PSE 50lb Talon.
The charts did little good for me other than letting me know which arrows to test next.

You can always flu-flu the ones that don't work good enough for regular feathers.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Try a set of carbons,they work well on my recurves and longbows.
Try a set of 45/60's. :canada:

·
Registered
20 Posts
many will do: you need to decide what grain tip you will shootfirst...i like to pick my tip then shoot full length bare shaft and keep cutting them till they bullet hole thru paper then i fletch at that length...some may say ya cant paper tune a traditional bow ...poppy cock...if your form and release are good it willtell you what to do on paper ....but you dont need paper to see which way arrow kicks at the start....remember the heavier the tip the more arrow you can cut...but for starters try 1916,2013.2016, and if what you want is heavey arrows?....2018 all over this one with a 145 grain tip...you willbe around 500 grains or more arrow weight.....another choice would be 3555 gold tip traditional xt's...besides lookig like wood they are tough as nails...however you will either need to put weight tubes by carbon express in side or use a muzzy 50 or 100 grain brass insert then choose your tip and start cutting for good arrow fligth...it's what i do and it works. happy huntin :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
For carbons, Beman ICS Classic or ICS Hunter .500 deflection with 125 gr. point will be in the neighborhood. Will it be heavy enough to hunt with? Depends on what you're hunting, but at 420 grains they would be plenty for hunting whitetails.

So the bow ended up being 55# @ 28"? If so, then .500 deflection might a bit weak-spined, but not much. All depends on how centershot the bow is or isn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts