Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I've been shooting a 1987 Martin Cougar Magnum up until a few months ago. The string broke on me and I can't seem to find a replacement, and i need a new bow anyways :smile:. I was looking at the PSE Stinger for awhile there, but my archery shop doesn't stock these or have parts for them. The closest way to get it worked on is about 200 miles. Not willing to drive that far lol. I am looking at the Parker compounds right now. I am interested in the Raptor XP (it's called the Raptor in the Cabela's catalog but on the parker website it is the Parker XP), the Trailblazer XP and the Wildfire XP. The Trailblazer is $420, the Wildfire $320, and the Raptor $550. I am leaning toward the Trailblazer right now, but i do not understand why it is 100 dollars more for a few holes in the riser, nearly half an inch less brace hight, an inch more axle to axle , 0.3 lbs lighter, and only 2 fps faster. The Raptor is 130 more than the Trailblazer, and looks to me like a mix of the Wildfire and Trailblazer as far as the stats go. (few more holes in the riser :smile:) and is about a half pound heavier. Can anyone explain this? Has anyone shot these bows or had any experience with them? I am looking for an experienced archer who has shot any combination of these bows to help me decide. My local archery shop doesn't let you shoot before you buy i don't believe. Thanks :smile:

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
i ont have experience with parkers,sorry.but i was going to say that if your local shop doesnt let you shoot before then find a new one.thats ridiculous.hoyt has 2 new bows in those price ranges also.martin has some killer bows in that range also.just a few more options to think about.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You shouldnt have a problem getting new string for that bow, either contact Martin or check out the classifeds on here under strings for several great string makers..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i have been doing a lot of research on strings. but its not only the string. it has teardrops and those are completely shattered. so i need new buss cable and a string. Not to mention the bow is fairly old and i need an upgrade. At 30 yds i could hold a 3-4 inch group. not to bad considering what I'm working with. :) but still, I'm in need of an upgrade lol

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
the trailblazer is a good bow...i shot it in my search for a new one...its a lot nicer that the wildfire actually....i though it had alot smoother draw and shot than the wildfire...i would defiantly go with the trailblazer over the wildfire...if you want to shoot a parker go to gander mountain or cabelas and they'll let you shoot them...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trob i would love to go somewhere like that. I've never been to a Cabela's or Gander Mountain. I prob live at least 400-500 miles from Cabela's as the crow flies. :( what do u think of the Raptor? Or if you're looking at the Parker website they call it the Parker XP.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Its kinda like the old saying "you get what you pay for." I'm not saying the 2 Parkers that you said were cheaper arent any good its just the one that is the most expensive out of the 3 will probably shoot the best, thats why its the most money.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Another thought have you gone to the classifieds on this forum??? You can pick up some nice bows in your price range... By this top of the line bows as well. Sure they might be a yr old but it seems like alot of folks on here get new bows and don;t shoot them much or they get a new one and shoot it maybe a few times and don't like it for one reason or another... At times I wish I was a right handed shooter becuase of the smoking deals that are in the classifeds all the time. Majority of the folks selling bows there are top notch as well... Heck right now you probably can get a good deal on 08 bows that dealers are trying to get rid of at a nice discount as well.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
If it was me I'd spend it. I've learned my leason over the years and worked my way up from the bottom to the top. Now that I've spent the money I wish I would have never messed around with the cheap ones, I would have saved alot of money in the past and it wasnt that I didnt have the money then. I was just being cheap. I thought it was ridiculous to spend that much money back then. If money isnt an option then I'd spend the exta $130 but if you dont have it to spend then get the one that you can afford. Atleast it will get you shooting and then when you can afford it then upgrade.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Have you thought about contacting Martin for the specs of string and cables for your Cougar? Even with a new bow, you could have the cables/string replaced and use that for a backup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i actually did talk to martin, but they never got a hold of me. Something may have happened I'm not sure. I will almost definitely end up replacing the string and cable for back up like you said. I think I'm settled on the Trailblazer or Raptor/Parker XP. I'll see how much money i get. I wish i could shoot both. I'll call my archery shop tomorrow and see if they wouldn't let me test shoot if they have them. That being settled, does anyone have any ideas of what equipment i could put on the bow? I'm thinking a drop away, regular sights with horizontal pins (cant have light in Montana), and stuff like that. If anyone has any input on either of those bows it would be nice. Thanks:)

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
though i havnt shot the raptor im sure its a good bow...all the specs seems to be good if you can afford it buy as far into this industry as possible...even though your bow will last as long as you take care of it...this industry is always changing to bigger and better things...which will always tempt for a new bow :D

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
i mean no disrespect when i say this,but why are you so set on parker? like these guys are saying you could buy a used bow in the classifieds for a killer deal right now.for whatever reason the bows on there are not moving very fast so everyone is willing to deal.there is a martin firecat selling for 325 and its an 07 model.thats an insane price and there are deals like that all over the classifieds.i would atleast check them out.just a thought.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not really set on a Parker, just what I'm leaning towards. I'm checking out the classifieds as i type this and there's a few that catch my eye. I'll have to keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Be careful!

I just want to say be careful though, I wouldn't buy a used bowtech but that is just me, sounds like they won't warranty their bows past the first owner, I'm not sure what other companies policies are... Some times it is worth getting new for the warranty.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I just want to say be careful though, I wouldn't buy a used bowtech but that is just me, sounds like they won't warranty their bows past the first owner, I'm not sure what other companies policies are... Some times it is worth getting new for the warranty.
nobody's warranty goes past the first owner...and yes a warranty is nice in case of a problem

1 - 20 of 23 Posts