Archery Talk Forum banner

New Bows

833 Views 17 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  XP35
Not trying to be negative but did ya ever notice that whenever anyone shoots a new Bowtech,Mathews....its AWESOME. Well I shot one of the new models yesterday, won't say which one to avoid digs, and it felt very similar to last years model. Less recoil but nothing so fanatstic to drop $700+ dollars on. I think it psycological. Like when someone gives you a fake aspirin and your headache goes away.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,238 Posts
There are bows that will bring home the bacon; and there are bows that will win championships. Some are better than others. There are a few that are worth over $500., but very few. Most of today's bows are $275. dollar bows. The longer you're in this game, the sicker of it you become. Gimmicks, marketing, and BS. It all gets a little tiresome.

· Registered
17,867 Posts
My mother had a plant shop. She started a plant from a cutting and had it in a pot marked for 25¢, pretty much to pay for the pot. It never sold.
She raised it to $1 doing nothing else to the thing other than raising the price and it sold within a week.

I agree that not only do people imagine their '06 bow is so much better than their '05 bow when there really wasn't much change, but they imagine that the $800 bow was that much better than the $600 bow whether it's because of the price or the name.
Really nobody is immune from this. We all have our triggers and in today's society money or brand is a popular trigger.

My thing is looks (I don't have the luxury of it being price). I see a bow I think is ugly and I'm not going to like it no matter how it feels.

· Registered
10,694 Posts
Plant and Ping stories are similar !

MYK,

The owner of Ping golf clubs introduced them at a lower price than most any on the market and he could not give them away.
He called around to some of the shops that had his clubs for sale and asked opinions why they were not selling.
The shop owners said, because of the low price, potential customers thought they were low quality junk.
The owner immediately raised the price of Ping to the highest on the market, at that time, and his clubs began selling right away!
Your mother's plant story reminds me of Ping.
I also agree with you 100% on the looks of a bow.
If it's not pretty or impressively built, ol' Sag will have nothing to do with it. ;)

Sag.

· Registered
46 Posts
I hear what your saying. How many threads will be started called "Got my new Trykon, or Switchback xt, etc. They are usually followed by something along the lines of "no recoil at the shot, unbelievable, my groups tightened up, draws sooo smooth, holds steady best bow ever etc. I'm not saying that it isn't most of that, but I doubt that its any better than last years bow. for example a bow with zero hand shock has zero hand shock whether its two years ago, last year, or this year i.e. outback, switchback, switchback xt. Its good that people are excited about their new bow, but it seems by the things they say that nothings really changed except the name of the bow they're holding. I think that validates some people's point that its the shooter, not the bow.

· Registered
66 Posts
Well, I agree that prices are getting out of site. However, I shoot an 02 bowtech pro 40 and went and shot a 05 old glory the other day and let me tell you they are worlds apart in the way they shoot. My pro 40 shoots nice but it has a lot of hand shock. Old glory, very little.
thanks happy turkey day,
jp:p

· Registered
407 Posts
It's called "marketing". Same reason you bought a new car this year or whatever other purchase you made. We are being hammered through the media stream with marketing gimmicks to buy everything we ever thought we wanted. And if you don't have the money, just use the credit card.

· Registered
9,658 Posts
Improvements

Every year there are improvements to bows in an attempt to sway shooters to buy a particular brand. Lots of competition make the manufacturers come up with ways to convince the buyers to shell out. If they weren't somewhat better, they would be hearing too many complaints. If you compare a 2005 to a 2006, there probably won't be a world of difference, but a 2001 or 2002 to a new one may seem more significant. I agree with you on the comments though. I do think many who post here are staff shooters who are expected to hype up the new models on the boards. Might not be true, but it sure seems like it.:rolleyes:

· Registered
8,465 Posts
I'll stick with my inexpensive hunting rig for now. For a while probably. It has all the latest, greatest features now. When something new and stupendous comes out I'll get one, maybe. For now I'll imrove myself and focus less on equipment. Besides, with all the practice I'll need the $$$ for arrows and fletchings!

· Registered
17,867 Posts
railbird said:
It's called "marketing".
My ex-boss once asked his father what he wanted from a fast food place for lunch. He suggested their chicken sandwich because it was baked, not fried. He parrotted the commercial exactly and didn't have a clue that he did it.
Some people are very open to manipulation like that.

· Registered
2,083 Posts
tjb357452 said:
There are bows that will bring home the bacon; and there are bows that will win championships. Some are better than others. There are a few that are worth over $500., but very few. Most of today's bows are $275. dollar bows. The longer you're in this game, the sicker of it you become. Gimmicks, marketing, and BS. It all gets a little tiresome.

This is EXACTLY WORD FOR WORD where I am. I am almost ready to give up archery all together and go out and buy some firearms. :cry:

· Registered
2,083 Posts
railbird said:
Uh Doc, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but have you seen the prices on them new rifles?

Yeah but if I decide to sell an $800 rifle next year, it will be worth more than $350. I'd be willing to bet that the dealer would probably give me more than that for it. ;)

· Registered
1,238 Posts
What are you guys bleating about? That $700USD bow costs us $1000USD+ over here AND we actually have to wait until 06 to get it :laugh: I also read about someone 'laying down' a $100USD for a new Carter Choc Addiction, that puppy retails for over $200USD over here. Consider the international victims of your out-of-control consumerism as well please. :usa: :whip: :yield: :hug: :becky:

· Registered
378 Posts
These threads do get old. If you don't like what the company is offering, don't buy it or buy something else. Everyone has their preferences and I'm sure there is a bow out there for everyone. The tribute and trykon are both short ata's and you aren't hearing any complaining about them. Individuals should buy what fits their needs. I for one like a short ata bow. I do think it manuevers better in a tree stand. I know I can sit flat on my bottom on the ground and hold the bow perpendicular to get off a very accurate shot....I've practiced them. I know I can get through thicker terrain with less hanging up and I know I can shoot groups tight enough for taking the game I'm after. I just won't take a 40 or 50 yard shot if I'm not comfortable wilth it. Lets try to give fair opinions of bows and their makers. Obviously Mathews is doing something right or their business would be slumping.

· Registered
15,839 Posts
jhpate said:
Well, I agree that prices are getting out of site. However, I shoot an 02 bowtech pro 40 and went and shot a 05 old glory the other day and let me tell you they are worlds apart in the way they shoot. My pro 40 shoots nice but it has a lot of hand shock. Old glory, very little.
thanks happy turkey day,
jp:p
Thsi may be so, but is you Pro 40 perfectly in tune and specs. I think a lot of what happens is the guy has used last years model and it is out of tune an specs. Then he try out a new bow and it shoots so much better. I shot the BowTech's last year. My Pro 40 Dually is just as good if not better. My Pro 40 Freedom shoots as well as any of the new Freedom cam bows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.