Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just changed to the magnus stingers 125grain and shot two deer with them both went down with in sight of my tree but i was not very impressed with the blood trails. but i did not hit the heart on either shot both were just double lungs. i'm not saying i'm dissatisfied becouse of the blood trail becouse i did not need them it was almost like the deer did not know they were hit. is this typical for this type head? should i need a broadhead that will punch a better hole and leave more blood in case the deer run further? or just try to hit closer to the heart?

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
i hit a deer with a 2 blade buzzcut and hit the lung and heart and had a low exit but very little blood. he ran 60 yds stoped and looked around and died right there.

i wasnt to impressed with the little drops i had. but i watched him drop so idk. it did its job. might try a different head next year though cause where i hunt is very very thick stuff.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
A 2 blade head cuts a slit. You got the deer, so I am not sure what you are looking for. If you want a bigger hole, I suggest a 4 blade Stinger or the Magnus Snuffer SS (3 blade). The blood trails I get with my Snuffers are sick.
Dan

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
i have owned both but never got a deer with the tricks. they flew high and to the right and my magnus and crimson talons were hitting perfect so i decided to stay with the other heads.

but i will say. tricks are built great. very very sharp and well designed. i am debating on buying another pack and trying them again

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am shooting the 4 blade but the bleeders are only 3/4'' and like i said i am not dissatisfied i just don't want to be if the deer are always gonna lay down within 60 yards with a hit like i made or better then i'll stick with them

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
A 2 blade head cuts a slit. You got the deer, so I am not sure what you are looking for. If you want a bigger hole, I suggest a 4 blade Stinger or the Magnus Snuffer SS (3 blade). The blood trails I get with my Snuffers are sick.
Dan
i know. just saying if i didnt watch him drop i would have had a very very hard time finding him. i had a drop of blood every 5-10ft than nothing until i found the spot where he was standing.

but the spot where it was standing had a pool of blood like alot alot.

magnus does make a good head and have a great warrentee. i might try the 4 blades next year but idk yet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will say the penatration was top notch. the frist deer i shot went completly through and broke the leg in half of the second deer i shot that was standing behind her. i guess the main reason for this thread is i was wondering if other guys who use this head were haveing the deer they shot go down really quick or if i just got lucky on these two

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Big fan of the Rage three blades here, dont listen to the bad here on AT. If your set-up is halfway desdent that you will be fine. I have shot 2 bucks witht ehm this year and the blood trails looked like that of which ray charles could have followed!

And mine were shot in the shoulder!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i changed to the magnus from rage two blades. i killed alot of deer with them but changed becouse of lack of penatration and i beleave i do have a decent setup i shoot a 375 grain arrow at 306fps out of my hoyt alfamax. they left great blood trails but don't won't to have to worry about them opening and i had several quarting away shots where i would hit the opposite shoulder and break it but not penatrate the skin there for i wouldn't have an exit wound. i am now considering the magnus snuffers or just keep shooting the buzz cuts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have used stingers, buzzcuts and slicktricks. IMO they all good heads, I would stick with what you are using.:wink:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've shot four this season with my 4 blades buzzcuts so far this season. Two had AWESOME blood trails where you can walk straight to the deer without stopping to look for blood, and two more were ok trails that you had to look at times for the blood trail. All 4 of the deer fell in sight though, just always like to check the blood trails left. With that said I shot 3 last season with my 2 blade Rage BH's and everyone knows the talk about them. Two had really good trails and one was very poor with a double lung shot and low exit.

Personally, I believe sometimes it don't matter where it's hit and exits with what BH. Sometimes they just leave a poor trail IMO

Just shoot what your confident with

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
without a doubt the more cutting surface you use the more "likely" a good blood trail, ive seen a number of threads where they said the stingers blood trials were less than spectacular, but all most every single on recovered the deer and they dropped in sight...if its puttnig them down inside 50-60 yards i would asy they are doing a great job... generally a high entrance will not bleed much, a low exit usually bleeds much more, another thing that happens especially with angled shots, if the skin slips any direction even a little bit at the shot that hole is plugged after the arrow goes through, and it doesnt matter if its an entry or exit, the skin slips, the hole in flesh is cut, arrow pass on, the skin slips back into place putting a bandage over the wound , the greater the angle the more likely this will happen, which is another reason i never never have and never will shoot for a heart.... the lungs have much more pressure when the animal breaths than the heart does when it pumps, this effect causes the blood to blow out the holes more effectively even if the skin covers the hole, the worse the lung wound the harder the deer trys to breath,

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I shot a doe at the begining of season with a slick trick mag and had hardly any blood on the ground but she killed over in about 25-30yds. A couple of weeks ago I shoot a doe with a stinger (4 blade) and there wasn't much blood but she also goes about 30yds and expires. Now in between those doe kill I killed a 130lbs boar (with stinger 4 blade) and he bleed like nobodys business!!! Blood every where and he also expires in about 30yds. So I guess it's what you hit and how you hit it to get good blood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ive tried many types of broadfheads, currently using stinger 4 blades and have had great luck. great blood, and most important (to me anyways) great penitration

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Not hitting the heart is not the problem. I would think that hitting 2 lungs is the objective and you achieved that, so why think about aiming for the heart?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts