Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So CAMX has this idea that cams on brackets mounted to the end of the limbs is new tech? I had a 1977 PSE Pacer with the same technology. CamX Epic failure in my mind. Maybe some of your guys want cams mounted like we did back in the 1970's. Not me.
26730821_1817363318334153_6330390861598745580_n.png 26730821_1817363318334153_6330390861598745580_n.png

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
It looks awesome to me, only problem is it is illegal in NY because it is 16" wide. Has to be 17" wide in NY and these are made here in NY! You think they would have at least made them legal for the state they are made in!!!!!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point on making it legal in their home state.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
This is not the bow I want but I'm not going to knock it too bad. I'm looking at either the Nitro X or Titan RCX but I did see the video on the A4 and its quiet and can be decocked so I think its a good offering though it doesn't appeal to me personally.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
It says they are 16" wide. I dont know where there measurement is from though. In NY a legal crossbow has to be a minimum of 17" wide from limb tip to limb tip uncocked. If this bow is 16" wide axle to axle then it should be legal because limb tip to limb tip should make the 17" mark

·
Anti Fanboy
42,720 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why they would want to put cam brackets on the end of the limbs?

What is the benefit other than obtaining a narrower ATA?

·
Jesus Follower
16,230 Posts
I think they messed up keeping it the same length, and they made it heavier by quite a bit. Much narrower now tho.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I’m not an engineer, but I don’t see what mechanical advantage that gawdy looking creation could have over more contemporary systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Jesus Follower
16,230 Posts
it's early but I think CAMX is claiming it makes the shot smoother and less noise/vibe

I kinda don't think it's worth it.

My old CAMX is the same length (~35 inches) and about 24" wide I think? 325 fps. Weighs 6.7 lbs bare. I think they could have shortened the bow, got the width down to around 17 inches or so, and still got 350 fps. While keeping the weight under 7#

A bow like that is not lighting the world on fire but probably would have been more appealing to me. I'm sure I don't represent the majority of the market tho.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In a video I saw they showed how you could set it down sideways and the cam wouldn't be in the mud.!? Wow, hell of a selling point. LOL.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I would agree with most of you guys. My initial reaction to the brackets was that they drastically narrowed the string angle without drastically narrowing the width. When viewing the video, the swing arms don't really seem to swing much, they mostly hang inside the limb axle holes from uncocked to cocked. I guess when they are fired, it absorbs shock. As mentioned, a substantial increase in weight. Have to wait for reviews, I guess. When I heard about the speed and narrower teaser, and the price, I thought maybe. Now not sure. My current bows have me spoiled, so it's gonna take a lot.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The search for a narrower bow? I have a few ideas. How about make a bow that shoots as fast as a Death Stalker and is quieter and even more vibration free (if that's even possible)? That would a game changer. As we will find out with the narrower bow fad, they will get wider eventually. Its just like the shorter ATA verticals. They took it to the ridiculous and went down to 28" ATA on some and then a few went off the track. The market driven by consumers...demanded longer and more forgiving bows for 3D, competition and hunting. And that's where they are now. 32-38" is standard with 7" brace height shooting 330-350. Crossbows are going to go thru the same fad with the we have a 6" wide crossbow, wait look at our new bow its only 5.78" wide. Whoa our new bow is down to 5.25" wide. Fads are that fads. They come and go but I don't see any game changers here for me. Ten Points bows look interesting to me. But after seeing their velocities are based on the lightest arrow they offer, they pulled an Excalibur on us and I am no longer impressed. The 3 new bows look good and solid, but its not a game changer other than you can cock the NXTs with a sled and not have to use the built in crank like a Ravin. Excalibur screwed the pooch on the Assassin by settling for 360 fps. They should have aimed for 360 with a 425 grain arrow then they would have something to brag about. So far its a lot of cool designs but the deliverables are disappointing by what value the bows add to what we already have. The silent crank on the Assassin is a great item but the bow it self its a Suppressor 355 in a new stock.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I agree with most of that, recurveman. If Excal wants to get 360 with a 425 gr. arrow, then the will have to come up with a different formula if they want to use Micro limbs. Otherwise, it's going to be an ongoing conversation about limb failures. I guess people want the compactness of the Micro size. I can get your 360 with a 425 or within a tick of it, but that's with Matrix limbs and a longer power stroke. Still only weighs 6.25# with a scope on it, so the Assassin doesn't do much for me either.

·
Bringer of truth
14,912 Posts
yea i not going to even take the time to investigate this one.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Have to wait for real unpaid reviews but seems counterintuitive to narrow up the string angle on a 'wide' bow. Maybe it will be pure magic...

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
So CAMX has this idea that cams on brackets mounted to the end of the limbs is new tech? I had a 1977 PSE Pacer with the same technology.

My brother had a Bear compound ( I think) with brackets - it was even left handed!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Bear Whitetail Hunter had brackets doo back in 1976 for that matter. Inboard Technology my butt. Cost accountant: "Hey boss we can cut 30 bucks from the cost of each bow by using brackets I found on my grandpa's Darton."

1 - 20 of 43 Posts