Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I shot for Kirkwood Community College last 2 years. Time to move on, this year has found me at Iowa State University. They didnt have an Archery Club, so I started one. I have about 30 people interested and a few ,so far, interested in collegiate competitions. Ive got a couple students helping me along. So come tourney time, watch for ISU.
Questions, comments or concerns welcome.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I'm looking for info too

I am currently at NDSU Fargo. We have a bowhunter club here, but I want to push things and possibly start a competition team. I too would greatly appreciate any info or experiences people would like to share.

Thanks,
Mitch

·
Banned
664 Posts
Congratulations (to both of you) on taking your first steps towards starting a college club.

Make sure you have all of your ducks in a row paperwork wise with the College Archery Program (CAP). This is the division of USA Archery that handles the collegiates. The place you need to start is the CAP website.

http://www.clarkesinclair.org/USCollegeArchery/index.html

All kinds of cool stuff there.

On the contacts/general info page, you will find the registration requirements/forms and some other great info for start-up clubs (especially the Risk Assessment document). The Handbook is currently being revised, but the version shown should get you going on the road to a complete understanding of the rules. Important points (very abbreviated)... the club must be registered with USA Archery, the competitors (team members, not necessarily club shooters who won't compete... though it's a good idea) must be registered with USA Archery, and the competitors must be current, verifiable, full-time students in a degree program.

For first year programs, the USA Club Registration fee of $95 is waived... but we still need the paperwork for insurance purposes. All the paperwork is important!

Also, this whole process should take place with your school's club requirements in mind. You are going to want to check in to that. Sometimes the administrator's of the school's club programs are nervous about archery, but we can help with that... and other times, they jump at the chance. Having your school's official support may open up funding opportunities to you for travel and registration fees.

Finally, the CAP has fantastic regional reps who can most definitely help out if you need it. Their contact information is also listed on the CAP website. In fact, any of the program officers will do what they can for you. Lorretta Sinclair is particularly helpful with new clubs. And of course, I am here as well.

Hope this gets you going. We would love to have you at the university championships next year.

If you could, please send me your full contact information so that I can add you to the distribution list. (email, phone, address, etc)

Kari Jill Granville
College Archery Program Chairman
Sun Devil Archery at ASU
www.sundevilarchery.com

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
practice-more,
If your college club council (or what ever NDSU calls it) doesn't comply or isnt easy to work with, just go through USA archery, start a club with them, and have your athletic Advisor sign off on the fact that you ,and whoever else wants to shoot in competitions, are full time students. That's what I did at Kirkwood, and it was totally legal. Just an easier way to get to competitions under your school name if you dont want all those legalities and hoops to start an actual sport club through your school.
There is quite a bit of paper work though from USA archery that you need to sign and fill out, so get your writing hand ready.
You will also need a faculty advisor that CAP can contact if they need to, and youll need a coach.

sorry if that confused anyone.
Matt

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair enough, I should have clearified. I did that at a community college and they were fine with it. 4 year universitys must be different.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted advice.

sundevilarchery - thanks for you post, i have checked out the CAP webpage, and I am now looking to speak to someone at the school. Thanks for helping point us in the right direction.

Thanks,
Mitch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts