Archery Talk Forum banner

New couple to archery: help appreciated

358 Views 9 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  mdewitt71
Hey folks,

My wife and I are just starting out in target archery. We've been attending a once a week night class the last two weeks and have two more to go. We've really caught the bug and I'm looking into what bows and accessories we should buy. For my wife I'm thinking the Diamond Edge is the ticket because she has trouble holding the 20 lbs that the class bows are set at (no letoff cams) and it would be easy to sell used once she works her way up to heavier draw weights. Also she is only 5'5" so she probably doesn't have a very long draw length.

For myself I have no idea. We want to keep the price as low as possible while still being something that's functional and can be used for at least two years. As far as draw length I have no idea. I'm 5'7" and wear a 41 short jacket. We will NOT be hunting. We'll probably shoot target, indoor target, DARTS, and possibly 3D and field target.

Also any input on sights, (the instructor mentioned a slider?), and rests are very appreciated.

Cheers!

Darren Jones
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,458 Posts
Welcome to AT.:)

The Diamond Edge is a nice bow for a women. My cousin has one and she likes it. For you I would suggest shooting every brand and model that is in the price range you are wanting to spend. Sorry can't really help you out with target stuff, I mainly just hunt and target shoot for fun. If you post some equipment questions in the General Archery section you should get some good responses.

And draw lenght is your wingspan(from finger tip to finger tip), minus(-) 15 inches, divided(/) 2.
Ex.
My wingspan is 74 inches
74(inches)-(minus)15/(divided by)2
74-15/2= 29.5 inches is my DL

Good luck and have fun.

· Registered
36,987 Posts
:welcome: 2 ArcheryTalk

· Registered
3,590 Posts
Welcome to AT! Glad to hear archery is a family sport for you too! If she hasn't already joined AT, please let you wife know she is welcome here too..

Welcome to AT.:)

... For you I would suggest shooting every brand and model that is in the price range you are wanting to spend. Sorry can't really help you out with target stuff, I mainly just hunt and target shoot for fun. If you post some equipment questions in the General Archery section you should get some good responses.

And draw lenght is your wingspan(from finger tip to finger tip), minus(-) 15 inches, divided(/) 2.
Ex.
My wingspan is 74 inches
74(inches)-(minus)15/(divided by)2
74-15/2= 29.5 inches is my DL

Good luck and have fun.
IMO, that's the best advice...shoot as many and you and she can before making the decision of which bow to purchase. There are a lot of great used bows on the AT classifieds...so once you've shot several and narrowed it down, you may want to check around for the same bow only used.

Welcome to the wonderful world of archery! Happy shooting :archer:

· Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,967 Posts
Welcome. :darkbeer:
You sound like you are getting a great start into the sport already, learn as much as you can from the instruction and local shooters.
If you can not get a good deal for setups thru your local dealers at least know what you are looking for in a bow (short Axle to Axle vs. Longer Axle to axle, Single cam vs. Dual/ Hybrid cam, ect) then, look to the classified here.

Alot of GREAT People on this site, I am very happy to have made the friends and contacts I have in the last few years.

Good luck and good shooting, I know what it is like to get the wife into a sport you both enjoy.
Good times and Good memories will come from it. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.