Archery Talk Forum banner

New Deer weapon

405 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  awshucks
The Missouri Department of Conservation voted and approved the use of high caliber air rifles for deer hunting. Must be min. of 40 cal. and powered by external hand pump or tank of compressed air. Will be legal when deer rifle season opens Nov.15th. Was oked and put effective March 1st. Your opinions.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,331 Posts
just my thoughts

I am stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, so heare are my thoughts

--where do you shoot a deer with an air rifle, would it penetrate the skull--or would you have to shoot in the eye area to reach the brain???

--How close would you have to be to be effective?

--Can you kill a deer shooting in the body??

--I am for it if it is ethical, but given the choice of shooting a air rifle or rifle during the season, I will choose the bigger

--I would think that an air rifle being quieter, might allow you to get a second shot??

Good luck to those that choose this route

· Registered
757 Posts
Nothing new about these guns, Lewis and Clark carried one on their Expedition around 1803-06. They date back to the 16th or 17th century. Both the antiques and modern versions are called pre-charged pneumatics, the latter pumped a gazillion times w/ hand pump or can be filled w/ scuba tank. Not your Crosman or Sheridans of yore. Interesting read at:
http://airrifle.eu/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.