Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The picture says it all. What would be your thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I like it, it is a similar concept to the X=11 scoring that is becoming popular, but keeps the score out of 300.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it, it is a similar concept to the X=11 scoring that is becoming popular, but keeps the score out of 300.
Exactly. No breaching over 300, and the good "groupers" get their reward, or should I say - fliers into deep gold get punished...

·
Registered
802 Posts
I like it, current 9 ring is too large, and the top score will continue being 300.
To shoot around 290 would be harder, but the 290++ shooters would mantain their level.

PS: it's a FITA idea?

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS: it's a FITA idea?
Some guy proposed it for the Distance Shoot we do occassionally, but I instantly saw it as something FITA should convert to.

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
I don't like it, it will just hurt shooters who can keep them in the gold but not the big 10. The top guys won't be impacted. It's just taxing the poor to give to the rich.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I don't like it, it will just hurt shooters who can keep them in the gold but not the big 10. The top guys won't be impacted. It's just taxing the poor to give to the rich.
Poor / rich? Come on Marcus, you mean those that practice hard vs. occasional shooters?

Plus, have you noticed how many ties have there been in the last indoor worlds during the qualifiers?

PS
Last time I checked, some big names didn't qualify for the WAF shoot-offs. So, not even the top guys can always keep them in the big 10, even with 2712s.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All of our FITA/NAA shoots are scored this way in Texas...
Current FITA rule is :
X ring = 10 points.
10 ring =9,
9 ring =9
8 ring =8.

So you can't be shooting FITA by what the above pic says.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I guess what I'm shooting is NAA...we score it exactly the way it is posted above...the Aggie Invitational, the UT invitational, and the National Indoor match is governed this way for compound shooters www.texasarchery.org
Yup, same here. I shot a fita/naa event last year and this is how it was scored. Same as the pic above. X ring was 10 and 10 ring was 9 and so on. I thought that was how it was scored...fita.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I guess what I'm shooting is NAA...we score it exactly the way it is posted above...the Aggie Invitational, the UT invitational, and the National Indoor match is governed this way for compound shooters www.texasarchery.org
Yup, same here. I shot a fita/naa event last year and this is how it was scored. Same as the pic above. X ring was 10 and 10 ring was 9 and so on. I thought that was how it was scored...fita.
Those tournaments with that scoring system are not FITA for sure, or maybe someone at NAA has misinterpreted something important... :rolleyes:

http://www.archery.org/UserFiles/Document/FITA website/05 Rules/01 C&R Book/2008RulesENG_Book3.pdf

Article 8.2.1

·
Registered
206 Posts
The current NAA/FITA tournaments in TX are not scored that way. They are scored via the current FITA rules.

Target face Current Dado Proposed
X 10 10
10 9 9
9 9 8
8 8 7
7 7 6
6 6 5?

Basically the current system has a small 10 and oversized 9 ring. This proposed scoring would essentially shrink the target to a total of 36cm as all the rings are dropped 1 value. Might not be a bad idea to at least leave the target sizing alone and double the size of the 1 ring on a single spot target. This would still give a 40cm target. Also it gives new archers shooting 1's some points for their effort.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
You must be shooting a different tournament than I am...the Aggie Invitational was scored (for compound shooters) like the above...unless I'm missing something here...it was shot on a 3 dot 40cm face and the tiny inner X ring was a 10, the 10 ring was a 9 and so on...unless the face shown is a different size, I scored the target the way the pic shows...everybody that shot compound did.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
My scores would drop DRASTICALLY... I am one of those shooters that can hold my own when xs arent counted... but I have been to shoots that score 330 (x=11) and I get left behind pretty quick.

I would definately need to up my X count:embara:

JIM

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Ditto.

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
OK here is proof that it will simply increase the gap between the top and the mid level.

From a small indoor competition recently (which I have the cards from)
My score (won)
first half Vegas scoring: 300 21x
first half FITA scoring: 291
first half Dado scoring: 291
Second half Vegas scoring: 298 16x
Second half FITA scoring: 286
Second half Dado scoring: 284
Total old: 577
Total new: 575

Now a mid level shooter same event

first half Vegas scoring: 283 5x
first half FITA scoring: 271
first half Dado scoring: 260
Second half Vegas scoring: 280 6x
Second half FITA scoring: 270
Second half Dado scoring: 259
Total old: 541
Total new: 519

Old gap: 36 points
New gap: 56 points

While I applaud your initiative, I think we as a port have got to stop looking for ways to make the sport harder on guys like Cousins, Trillus, Coghlan etc etc and make the sport attractive to the average guy. Afterall, he's the one who makes up 80% of the tournament entries and purchases 95% of the gear. The industry needs THOSE guys, not the top ones.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts