Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Forum Member Needs HELP Choosing New Bow to Purchase. BOWTECH vs HOYT

I have only been bow hunting for 4 years but I have fallen in love with bow hunting and archery. I have been reading ArcheryTalk for a while but have not posted anything until now because after saving my pennies I now want to upgrade to a new bow. However, I also want to make sure I make the right purchase.

A little background - I hunt mule deer and elk in Eastern Washington (not very well yet though). I hike a lot when I hunt and the terrain is steep with a variety of timber/brush and open spaces. I have never sat in a ground blind or tree stand.

I’ve shot a lot of bows recently (Elite Energy, Matthews Creed and Chill, Prime Alloy, Bowtech Experience and RPM 360 and Hoyt Faktor Turbo) and four are on the short list with two really standing out. Here are the top 4 so far in ascending order (number 1 last).

4. Bowtech RPM 360 ($1,000 total price) – It’s heavy and didn’t balance as well as the others on this list. However, the draw and valley for a 360 fps bow were amazing! It was a little louder than the Experience but not by much. The mix of mild manners and sheer speed have kept it in the conversation.

3. Matthews Chill ($978 total price) – Lightweight and it felt nice to shoot overall. The back wall was a little soft and while it did everything well, it didn’t excel in anything. I little more speed might be nice.

2. Hoyt Faktor Turbo ($929 total price) – It felt very solid and the draw was smooth. It seemed a little louder that the Bowtech Experience and I felt a little shock in the hand (granted there was no sight or stabilizer).

1. Bowtech Experience ($850 total price) – The draw was smooth. It balanced and held on target well. It was quite and dead in the hand at the shot. It felt like it wouldn’t even need a stabilizer. A little more speed might be nice but it has a 7” brace height (Does this matter anymore?).

Unfortunately, I will be unable to shoot the Experience and Faktor Turbo back-to-back

My main question is about brands. I hear from the Hoyt guys or the Matthews guys at the range that I shouldn’t buy a Bowtech for such and such reason (mainly durability or warranty issues are mentioned). I however, have had a great experience with Bowtech. My current bow is a Bowtech Assassin. I’m lucky enough to live within driving distance from the Eugene, OR factory pro-shop so I drove down there when I had some problem with my cable rod coming loose. A Bowtech engineer was working in the pro shop when I was there and he quickly fixed it and explained why it was coming loose. I showed them a nick on my limb that had splintered a little. It could or could not have been from me taking a fall on some snowy rocks but they brought out another limb from the back and fixed it at no charge. They were very helpful and friendly and let me shoot the Experience and RPM 360 as much as I wanted.

I hope (as does my wife) that this next bow lasts me a long time so I want to make the correct purchase before pulling the money out from under my mattress. I am seeking advice because I am somewhat new to archery. I am hoping to hear from some relatively unbiased commenters. I know that is tough in the archery community so maybe just some honest comments without an agenda. Hopefully there is someone out there with some experience (no pun intended) with both Hoyt and Bowtech.

Thank you in advance for the help.

·
Anti Fanboy
41,833 Posts
Only you can make the final call for sure. But here is my thoughts on what you have posted.

I have found that most of the dirty laundry out there about BowTech and bad service is simply not true. The shops often drop the ball, not BowTech. None of the not so local BowTech dealers here has had the first problem out of BowTech's service. Considering you live somewhat close to the factory, you're in like Flyn IMO IF an issue were to arise.

Secondly, you are correct. The Experience balances so well, and holds so solid at full draw, a stab in not needed. The only reason I even use one is to keep my sight out of the dirt when I lay my bow against a tree or rock.

Even though the IBO is listed at 335 FPS, many of the Experiences are panning out to 341 FPS to 343 FPS.

If you like a bow that the cams kind of locks into place on the draw [somewhat like an Elite] then all you have to do is move the rotating draw mods one hole size shorter than the cable stops. It turns the Experience into a different animal and for the good IMO.

I personally feel it's one of the best, if not the best, BowTech ever built.

I hear a lot of good about the Hoyt Faktor 34 but I have not shot it yet. Not sure if I will either.

Good luck on your decision.

Skeet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would choose the bow that best fits you. The Hoyt Factor Turbo is a really nice shooting bow, but the final choice is yours. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Skeeter and McNab for the posts. I have definitely heard that I need to pick the bow that's right for me. Because I haven't been doing this for too long, I am just hoping for some words of wisdom or a nugget of knowledge that I may not know yet about hunting or archery that will help me decide between these two bows.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Welcome to AT...there are some great bows you listed... imo the bow needs to pick you, period!...good luck and have fun

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I keep coming back to the inch difference in brace height between these two bows. Does this matter anymore?
Welcome to AT!
Depends on our draw length, it seems if you have a shorter DL then the 6" won't really affect accuracy.

I haven't shot a 360 or the Faktor Turbo yet, but I did shoot the Faktor 30 and it was a good bow just not for me, the Experience is a great bow and a lot of people love it, but again just not for me. What the Mathews in the top 4 the Chill or Chill R? I got the Chill R and love it, so if you just shot the Chill check out the Chill R, it has more speed, longer ata the the original Chill. You might want to check it out if you haven't.

Like said above you have the final say in it, get what fells the best in your hand and good luck!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Sounds to me that you like the experience the best. The inch of bh has been a topic of disscussion on here many times and the conversations go around and around with no real answer. Bottom line is the bow that you are most comfortable and comfident with is the bow that you should go with.
Since you can head to Bowtech in a drive and after the way that they fixed up your assassin would sell me on them.
Dont let your friends sell you on a bow, the bow will do that
This is what i got out of your bow list

4. Bowtech RPM 360 ($1,000 total price) – It’s heavy and didn’t balance as well as the others on this list. However, the draw and valley for a 360 fps bow were amazing! It was a little louder than the Experience but not by much. The mix of mild manners and sheer speed have kept it in the conversation. uncomfortable but fast

3. Matthews Chill ($978 total price) – Lightweight and it felt nice to shoot overall. The back wall was a little soft and while it did everything well, it didn’t excel in anything. I little more speed might be nice.No "wow" factor

2. Hoyt Faktor Turbo ($929 total price) – It felt very solid and the draw was smooth. It seemed a little louder that the Bowtech Experience and I felt a little shock in the hand (granted there was no sight or stabilizer). Something that you didnt care for in it

1. Bowtech Experience ($850 total price) – The draw was smooth. It balanced and held on target well. It was quite and dead in the hand at the shot. It felt like it wouldn’t even need a stabilizer. A little more speed might be nice but it has a 7” brace height (Does this matter anymore?). ? could be faster

Let us know what you choose but I think that you have your mind made up!
-Welcome to AT-

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm have a 28.5" draw lenght. I appreciate the comments. The difficulty I am having is that I cannot find anyplace to shoot them back to back. With the last few cars that I have purchased I drove the top two right after each other and it made the decision immediately clear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, one more question. I keep reading about a bow being "dead in the hand" or giving a little "hand shock." I'm guilty of using it to but without really knowing the significance of it. If a bow is quiet, do these things really matter or affect accuracy?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE
I drove two hours to find a place where I could shoot my top 2 bows at two shops within 15 minutes of each other. This is the first time I was able to shoot the Faktor Turbo with a sight and a stab. I shot it well and the hand shock was noticeably less. The Experience has a great grip, is quieter and more "dead in the hand". I had the dealers weight each with similar equipment and the Experience was well over half a pound heavier.

I ordered my Hoyt Faktor Turbo today. Thanks everyone for the help in the decision.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
UPDATE
I drove two hours to find a place where I could shoot my top 2 bows at two shops within 15 minutes of each other. This is the first time I was able to shoot the Faktor Turbo with a sight and a stab. I shot it well and the hand shock was noticeably less. The Experience has a great grip, is quieter and more "dead in the hand". I had the dealers weight each with similar equipment and the Experience was well over half a pound heavier.

I ordered my Hoyt Faktor Turbo today. Thanks everyone for the help in the decision.
Congrats!! I think you will be happy with the decision. That bow should last a long time for you if that is your intent. My buddy is still shooting a 06 hoyt Trykon and hasn't had a single issue with it.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
looks good bud, congrats

1 - 17 of 17 Posts