Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my .170 spine TDT momentum arrows this week. I have been looking for the "toughest" arrows I could find. The Zelor seemed to be just that but their web site sucks and couldn't get it to work.
After getting my arrows and opening them I was pretty impressed with look and feel of them. The walls are extremely thick and stout. The insert outsert system seems to be extremely well made and thought out. I'm not a big fan of the insert being aluminum but they still weight 70gr. The downside I see is the arrow is tapered, so when they cut mine down to 28.5" there is a little gap between the arrow and outsert (I'm sure the appoxy will fill the tiny void).

The downside is they are extremely heavy and expsive. My .170s with a 200gr head and no fletching weight 672.6gr. Also I had them cut the arrows and the ends are definitely going to need squared. For the amount of money i paid I shouldn't have to do anything to them. I'm pretty anxious to get my bow tuned and start shooting them. Are they overkill for whitetail? Absolutely, I have had great luck with 400-500gr arrows. I got these for an upcoming Idaho elk hunt, where I'm sure my 505gr kinetics would be just fine. But this was an excuse to buy some to try.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Yep info more updates. I'm looking into the same ones but for the 950 grain build

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
So where did you order these from?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So where did you order these from?
From Alaskan bow hunter supply .

I had looked and looked with very few reviews about them. So I figured the only way was to buy them and find out for myself .

I can tell you from just physical appearance and handling them I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money again. But the black eagle rampage or GT kinetics for half the price are tough to beat. Although i did break the ends off 2 kinetic 300s last year running HIT inserts

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
I'd contact them if the ends are square. That's really not good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The price I saw was $169 for 6 !! I spend thousands on archery every year but paying over $300 for a dozen arrows, that ain't happening.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I want updates!
But for whitetail I'd say yes: for anything bigger no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The price I saw was $169 for 6 !! I spend thousands on archery every year but paying over $300 for a dozen arrows, that ain't happening.
I wouldn't do it then. On top of these arrows I'll be shooting $100 per package broadheads too..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep info more updates. I'm looking into the same ones but for the 950 grain build
I originally ordered the .240 spine because I i didn't want to be pushing 700gr. They called me a few hours after i placed my ordered to discuss my set up and highly recommended the .170 because of my bow weight, speed and head weight. I'd always shot .250 spines and shot great but I thought I'd listen to what they had to say.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
You said there was a "little gap" between the shaft and the outsert because they are tapered shafts.

I guess I don't quite understand what's happening there; could you clarify that a bit?

Do you mean that there is a difference in diameters, or an angled cut that butts the "long side" of the shaft to the insert leaving a gap at the "short side", (or something else entirely)?
Just curious...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You said there was a "little gap" between the shaft and the outsert because they are tapered shafts.

I guess I don't quite understand what's happening there; could you clarify that a bit?

Do you mean that there is a difference in diameters, or an angled cut that butts the "long side" of the shaft to the insert leaving a gap at the "short side", (or something else entirely)?
Just curious...
So the ID is .204 but the ID starts at .310 at the point end and tapers off to .280 at the nock end. So that's a continuous. 001" taper across the whole arrow giving it a built in 5% FOC. So they cut 2"off my arrows my OD is no longer . 310 but more like .308

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
So the ID is .204 but the ID starts at .310 at the point end and tapers off to .280 at the nock end. So that's a continuous. 001" taper across the whole arrow giving it a built in 5% FOC. So they cut 2"off my arrows my OD is no longer . 310 but more like .308
Pretty sure you meant OD there, but yeah, that makes sense.
Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure you meant OD there, but yeah, that makes sense.
Thanks for clarifying.
Sorry stupid auto correct. I'm sure my math is wrong too but you get the idea. If these things hold up like they look like they will, it will be money well spent. I'd love to figure out what other .204 arrows there insert/outsert will fit

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Could they have cut to length from the nock end.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I wonder how they figured out how to cut a tapered shaft truly square?
(Yeah, I know-they didn't, as mentioned by the OP.)

Even a squaring tool might not do it perfectly; someone needs to devise a trimmer for tapered shafts that centers a close-fitting pilot into the shaft's bore.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have the original grizzstick version the nitro stingers. If there made the same then there is a section on the insert end that doesn't taper that can be cut. I wasn't impressed with the durability or components of the arrows I had.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I have the original grizzstick version the nitro stingers. If there made the same then there is a section on the insert end that doesn't taper that can be cut. I wasn't impressed with the durability or components of the arrows I had.
Not very many folks were, evidently.
Glad to see that they've changed things up; hopefully on the right track now.

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
The new tdt has the ice coating from victory on them. There is five inches on the nock end not coated. So your limited how much you can cut.

As for as the outsert yes. Due to this taper you will have this. There should be no problems with this.

I have three 240 tdt on hand and a couple of 170 coming. Building a tip for the 170 spine. Going to push the limits on that arrow. Tip should be around 1000 gr plus. This is just for testing

1 - 20 of 25 Posts