Archery Talk Forum banner

New Guy here and I have a few questions

540 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  MoNofletch
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about the Grim Reaper broadheads.Years ago I shot spitfires and really liked how sharp they were out of the package.Are the Reapers just as sharp? Also what would be the minimum bow weight you would use for these heads?I'm coming back from shooting Trad bows for 5 yrs and am thinking about a new compound between $300.00-$500.00.Anyone have sugestions in that price range?

Thanks for all the advice,

David Janssen
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,016 Posts
not sure about the BH I use fixed (montec by G5) but as far as your price goes you can get some nice used and even get some good new ones for what your looking to spend, THe guy who runs the pro shop I go to says the martens are as nice as the new mathews coming and the top end one he thinks he might shoot is only about 500 or so.

· Registered
11,420 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about the Grim Reaper broadheads.Years ago I shot spitfires and really liked how sharp they were out of the package.Are the Reapers just as sharp? Also what would be the minimum bow weight you would use for these heads?I'm coming back from shooting Trad bows for 5 yrs and am thinking about a new compound between $300.00-$500.00.Anyone have sugestions in that price range?

Thanks for all the advice,

David Janssen

Im a diehard Grim Reaper fan, but im not going to lie, grim reaper blades are not as sharp as the Spitfires.

Spitfires open probably twice as hard as the reapers do.

Me personally wouldnt use a mechanical with under 60 ft/lbs of KE, i might be old school (im 20), but what can i say.

You can find a very good used bow in the classifieds for 500$

· Registered
2,688 Posts
I have both Darton and Parkers for under that price. Grim Reapers are ok but why not use a good fixed. If your bow is tuned right they fly fine.

· Registered
2,298 Posts
Grim Reaper is a great head. I am currently shooting the Wasp jak-hammer because it is well designed, well made, and a proven performer for me. But, the Grim Reaper is a close second and I would not hesitate to hunt with it. Bow recommendation...there are so many good ones now that you just need to keep reading and try to test shoot some. I have owned Martin, Darton, Mathews, and Elite Archery. My top bow is an Elite Envy, but it limited production and not readily available.

· Registered
6,098 Posts
For someone coming back into it a used Bowtech Tribute from the Classifieds on Archery Talk would be your best bet. Normally I upgrade every year to a new bow but I have yet to find one as good and forgiving as my Tribute. Also there are many opinions on broadheads, I always just stick with what shoots good or what you like.

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,897 Posts
The Grim Reaper broadheads are very sharp out of the box. Im nit sure of the lowest poundage for this head. I wouldnt use them on a bow less than 50, but that is just me

There are nice used bows in your price range in the AT classifieds. I would look at a Mathews SBXT

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,897 Posts
The Grim Reaper broadheads are very sharp out of the box. Im nit sure of the lowest poundage for this head. I wouldnt use them on a bow less than 50, but that is just me

There are nice used bows in your price range in the AT classifieds. I would look at a Mathews SBXT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.