Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just a kid. Only 14 years of age and I want to start archery. I have no idea where to start but I want to do it. I live in the city and there aren't many places to shoot around here but I think I can get through that.

I have no idea what to buy to start out. I've been looking at some of the bows on basspro.com, the youth models. Been reading reviews on them and I think that I'm too big for them. With that said, I would probably have to buy a regular sized one BUT THERE'S SO MANY, I don't know what to buy. Money is definitely a factor. I don't wanna pay too much but I realize that if I want a quality bow, I'm going to have to spend a few bucks. Then I would need to buy arrows and targets and all that too.

I just need help figuring out what I need. Can anyone help?:cool:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Welcome on broad. I really believe someone will help with your questions as the day moves on. Enjoy, I am new and practice in the back yard, but I have to be careful of others not to have fliers. Safety always first. Then for me shooting ethics.( don't shoot the neighbors cat), that stuff. Does your grandfather shoot a bow, or maybe your mom and dad? Anyway, have fun.

·
Anti Fanboy
41,869 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info to be had here.

For your situation, I strongly recommend you go to a good PRO shop and avoid the big box stores. A Pro shop specializes in proper bow set up and they are more likely to steer you straight. Take one of your parents with you though.

Whatever bow you decide on, it's best if it has rotating draw modules. At your age, you will keep on growing and your draw lengh will increase. So if you have draw length adjustable mods, it won't cost a thing. But if you have to buy mods, or cams, it will cost you. Sometimes you can swap mods out at a pro shop depending on that bow and shop.

Do not let anyone talke you into getting the best arrows, however. You don't want to buy junk arrows, but no need in paying for top of the line arrows either.

You will want a good target too, unless you have a range you can go to.

Starter bows............there are some good ones out now days that won't break the bank. The Bowtech Assissin with the RAK package is a great deal and the bow is ready to hunt. All you need is arrows.

Mission also builds some good entry-level bows.

Think about it for a while an don't be afraid to ask questions before a purchase.

Skeet.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info to be had here.

For your situation, I strongly recommend you go to a good PRO shop and avoid the big box stores. A Pro shop specializes in proper bow set up and they are more likely to steer you straight. Take one of your parents with you though.

Whatever bow you decide on, it's best if it has rotating draw modules. At your age, you will keep on growing and your draw lengh will increase. So if you have draw length adjustable mods, it won't cost a thing. But if you have to buy mods, or cams, it will cost you. Sometimes you can swap mods out at a pro shop depending on that bow and shop.

Do not let anyone talke you into getting the best arrows, however. You don't want to buy junk arrows, but no need in paying for top of the line arrows either.

You will want a good target too, unless you have a range you can go to.

Starter bows............there are some good ones out now days that won't break the bank. The Bowtech Assissin with the RAK package is a great deal and the bow is ready to hunt. All you need is arrows.

Mission also builds some good entry-level bows.

Think about it for a while an don't be afraid to ask questions before a purchase.

Skeet.
^^^^^^^
Great advise here... Mission by mathews is what I started my 13 yr old.. and as he grows so can his Bow..

·
Registered
49,503 Posts
What Skeet said, stay out of the box stores and have your parents take you to a pro shop. Look at the Mission line they have a couple of bows that would work great for you without breaking the bank. They will grow with you and you will not need to buy anything to achieve that. The Craze and Riot use the same came system. They are adjustable from 19" to 30" and the poundage ranges of both bows is unmatchable by any other bow I know of. According to the draw length set on the bow they can be adjusted from mid 20# to 70#.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
My advice to you is to spend several weeks reading on here and get as much info to start out with as you can, educate yourself as much as possible before you start the process of buying a bow. Check out the sticky at the top of this page, " the nuts and bolts of archery". Learn about proper draw length because it is So important. Go to your local pro shop and have them tell you your correct draw length. Go to a couple pro shops in your area and try different bows to see what you like best. If money allows, your best bet is to buy from a shop so you always have somewhere to take it to get it worked on. If your unsure of the best shop in your area, start a thread on here asking for opinions on shops in your local area(prob the best idea). Good luck and it will be a blast when you get the hang of shooting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys, I will definitely be doing a lot more reading on here and doing my homework. I will be looking for a pro shop around here. I actually live in San Antonio, Texas. Thanks for the insight. I am the first in my to be so attached with outdoors and definitely the first to try archery so it's a little hard to get outside. Anyways, thanks you for your help.:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts