Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this site so hello folks.
I have been an archer since 59 or so, love it. I started with curves of course stayed with them. Got a wheelie in the 90's did a brief stint but did not like it much too many doodads and breakable stuff.

Took 3yrs off in my late 50s, Now at 61yrs. My old bones are not liking pulling back my 60lb super Kodiak anymore. I purchased the Kodiak in the early 90s so it is not one of those real old ones that folks go goofy over, but still a real sweet bow.
I have a 42lb pearson cougar that I am shooting now but not real happy with it overall. I am thinking of trying to swap the Kodiak for a recurve in the 45lb range.

Any thoughts on the possibility of getting a decent swap or am I setting myself up for a rip off? I have only shot Bears my whole life. Experience with other brands is unknown to me other than messing with this cougar.
I don't care about the age of the swap so much as long as its a decent shooter and not beat to heck. Any thoughts on brands that may suit my needs?

Oh and this Kodiak is grayling green.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to list it as a trade in the classifieds, or even just sell it outright, and buy a new bow. If you know, and like bears, just get another one. I am just really getting started, and am loving the whole ILF thing. I like the ability to have a shorter slightly heavier bow to hunt with, and a lighter longer bow for target.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,250 Posts
ILF is not a bad way to go if you want to continue shooting through your 90's. I am your age. I have 18 pound limbs I use for form. They may be my regular limbs when I turn 90.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just sold my Super Kodiak, which was a lefty late 90's model that was in mint condition. Unfortunately, I was only able to get around $280 for it, and that included throwing in 6 wood arrows with broad heads. The happy ending to the story is that I used the money toward a late 90's model Bear Takedown that is the bow of my dreams, so it was worth it to me. I'm hopeful in the next month or two I can add a set of 35# limbs to my setup for target shooting and form work. I'm a little younger than you, but I'm no spring chicken. I've got to start considering my longevity in this sport I love so much, so a set of lighter weight limbs are a must. I plan to use my heavy limbs for hunting purposes only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts