Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background first, I grew up in TN and I bow hunted there for about 5 years before I joined the army. Now I have relocated to WA state and I haven't shot archery or hunted in about 10 years. My wife has never hunted, hasn't shot in about 15 and when she did it was traditional. We have both decided to get back into archery for a sport to do together, and she want's to try hunting.

I can get myself set up with out too much issue, but I have some questions about how to set her up for hunting. We already have her a bow, it's a Diamond Archery Razors Edge. The reason's we went for this one is because she is a smaller woman at 5'2", and she had a C-Spine fusion done in November of this year. She still has pretty severe muscle spasm's if she over works the muscles in her upper back. Also, she has damage to both rotator cuffs in her shoulders. This all adds up to low draw weight, but she really want's to try Elk hunting with her bow. She is currently close to minimum draw weight for Washington, but even so penetration seems like it will be a pretty huge issue. And I want some help on how to get a low draw weight bow to penetrate well enough to get to the boiler room.

Washington requires 40 lbs draw weight, and she is currently shooting at 37 so she is getting close. But I am guessing she will max out between 45 and 50 with her physical limitations. She has a short draw length at about 25". Washington also has a minimum arrow weight of 6 grains per pound, with a minimum arrow weight floor of 300 grains. Now, I have done my research and this is about the best I can come up with. Let me know if this will get things done, or if I should change things around.

600 spine Easton ST Axis shaft for the thin outside diameter, 125 grain head. Probably something like the Magnus Stinger 2 blade broad head. This is for long the long 2 blade cutting surface and high F.O.C. as possible to try and get as much penetration as we can. I figure we can get the shafts cut long (28"?) and have them recut/shortened as her draw weight increases.

Sorry for the long first post!

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,420 Posts
Welcome to AT !!,....Sounds like you are doing your research, best of luck, sry i cant help more :)

·
THwack--CRASH
11,135 Posts
your right on the fence here,but your close enough to go for it.
your choice on blades is a good one ,go for the weight also .
she will need to hit the "mark" to get it done ,but i have faith that you two can do it!
caution don't over work those wounds too soon ,as you'll go backwards.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
rather than risk soreness, or further injury, might your wife get a doctor's note, and shoot a crossbow?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've already talked to the Doctors a bit. And as long as we don't overwork ourselves (I shattered my right hand at the wrist in December also), the Doctors think archery will be good physical therapy for both of us. I picked up a release aid that wraps around the wrist and has a bar to grip onto help me rebuild my wrist and hand strength. For her strengthening the deltoid and trapezius muscles will help stabilize her neck and shoulder injuries.

The only thing I am worried about is that my wife might try to over reach herself, as she is very headstrong. So I am keeping a pretty close watch on how much she strains on the draw. Just don't tell her I said that!

I don't want to set her up for failure, a wounded animal would be a pretty big blow to her self image. And her injuries are already forcing her out of her profession, so she doesn't need any more stress. I'd like the archery will start helping her rebuild it. On the upside, she has been a paramedic for 18 years, so she has a very good handle on anatomy and whats important and where it is.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Maybe have her do some like weightlifting to build her back muscles up as well. Probably already doing some sort of program from physical therapy, but that is what my Old Man did after one of his neck surgeries so he could better pull back his bow. He did overdo it though and now he can maybe shoot one or two arrows a week. Anything more hurts him too much. He got the note from a Doctor and went with a crossbow. He has killed some deer with it, but doesn't care to hunt with it anymore.

So its a good idea to keep a close eye on her. Tell her to slow down a bit if you notice shes struggling too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts