Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the second deer my buddy has taken with his bow and this is his second season......This deer was taken on the eastern shore of va......Did we put him in the right spot opening morning or what?180lb 10 points :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Did he shoot it in the neck? Whats that hole?

Great Buck!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what's that hole?

Yes it whas shot in the neck...... Not the shot of choice but it did one heck of a job on him......

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I hope that shot wasn't intentional.
Either way, lady luck shined down on him. THat's a really nice buck.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Nice Deer

Nice deer, but I hope you talked with your buddy about shot placement after the high fives were given, don't need deer running around with arrows in their necks.

When my neighbors noticed me shooting my bow they asked me about that goose they saw with the arrow sticking thru it. Nice way to be viewed.

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,897 Posts
I killed a nice 8 point in Ohio about 4 years ago one afternoon. He was chasing does like crazy. After we had him in camp and hanging we noticed he had been shot clean through the middle of the neck. Another hunter in our same camp had shot a deer the day before I killed this one, about a half a mile away and he had said he thought he had hit it in the neck. When he came and looked at it he said it was definitely the same deer. He never knew he had been shot from the way he was chasing the ladies! Pretty amazing critters!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
neck shot

It was the only shot he had.... said the buck winded him and was getting ready to bolt.....this is his second season bow hunting....so I guess he didnt know better..... I know it is not the preferable shot but it worked.... Just dont think it should become a habit though.....

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Doesn't Matter

I don't like to jump on somebody, but I'm sorry the "it was the only shot he had" bs will cause a lot of wounded deer this year, and you shouldn't have to worry about this becoming a habit, this should be his ONLY neck shot deer, straighten your friend out NOW. :mad: :mad:

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Hey Double lung em ,cool down! I really don't think thunderhead posted to get attacked ! Every one makes mistakes I'm sure he will make a better choice next time. NICE BUCK !! Glad he was recovered:)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
teaching

A new archer needs to be tought...... the shot did not have to be taken but it was and there is not much we can do about it .......except to remind every one how important good shot placement is.......

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Sorry

It was a long day at work, didn't mean to vent/attack t-head.

I feel this post is glorifying the neck shot based on someone's success and trying to point out that his buddy may need someone to point out proper shot placement since this is his second season, even in his replies he doesn't mention that he said anything to him, "just don't think it should become a habit though" was his reply.

Everyone jumps on the guys who post lost deer threads, here is good example of a newbie getting lucky with poor shot placement, 1" left or right maybe he doesn't find this deer and we got another "thought my shot was good" thread. As it is now t-head's buddy thinks "hey I made this shot I can make it again", even though it is a really low percentage shot and could end up worse next time or maybe another newbie sees this posts and thinks "neck shots are okay and wounds one", if we don't police our own and educate fellow bowhunters who's going to do it, the anti's?

If t-head doesn't want to talk to his buddy about this maybe he'll read my replies and learn hey I got lucky, next time I won't take this shot even if the deer is going to wind me. It doesn't help when we got a-holes pumping up shots like this either Mr. Jones.

Believe me I'm happy for t-head's buddy and the success, just needs to work with his buddy on shot placement.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
shot placement

In no way am I glorifying the neck shot and yes we did discuss it.... but that is between me and him..... what I dont understand is if a neck shot is so bad why do we see so many neck shots..... I know some old timers that dont shoot deer any were but the neck......(who do we learn so much from...The old timers) right.... So is that fact or fiction....... I was tought by old timers and experiance... So who realy are the teachers and students?????

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
thunderhead, thank`s for the picture! Tell your buddy congratulations!:D

As some others have pointed out...a neck shot with a bow is not a high percentage shot. It sure worked this time, but still not a good one to take. I have no doubt you will calmly explain it to your buddy. That is the way new bowhunters learn.

Thank`s again for the pictue, and if you can put your friend on bucks like that, we expect to see your deer next!:D

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Good Job

T-head-

Glad to hear that you discussed with your buddy and you're right you don't need to get into details but it probably makes a lot of people on here happy to read that.

IMO, the neck shot is a poor shot because there are no vital organs in the neck, the only thing you can hope for is that you hit the aorta artery, everything else is muscle.

These old timers you mention are they old timer bowhunters or gunhunters? Any of the old timer bowhunters that I talk to would never recommend taking a neck shot, a gunhunter on the other hand would recommend a neck shot because with a slug it inflicts a crap load tramau and they usually go down in there tracks and might not be aware of the limitations of a bow and arrow.

Where are you seeing all of these neck shots?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
neck shots

I have seen several neck shots on deer with bow and gun.... some on tv and some in person bow and gun..... I allways put guy's on great deer but just cant get one in range for my self.... I guess I stink right through my scent lock I dont know:D I was telling my friend tonight that out of all the trophy size bucks we see the one he got was probably the smallest rack that we have seen.... Just cant seem to get them in range... hopfully my day will come soon:D

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Double Lung did you forget about the esophgus (or how ever you spell it). He could have also broke his neck. I am not saying he should have taken the shot. I have passed on a couple of P & Y bucks because all I had was a neck shot. But like thunder head said you have to learn form your mistakes. If nobody told him from the get go "don't shot them in the neck" he may not have known better. Either way there is no reason to go off on TH for posting a pic of his friends great buck. I know that you appoligized so I am not attacking you. Just making a point.

Thunderhead tell your friend congrates. That is a very nice buck.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts