Archery Talk Forum banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
What exactly about these specs and design do you like? I don’t see anything to be excited about here in the least.

D
As an old elite guy like the 3 track cam paired with 33ata and 6.5 brace of the v 33. simple elegant. I don't mind shiming. the lines are clean.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! Not surprised the draw cycle feels a bit easier on the Hoyt given performance diff. 2 pounds is about 4 fps and the Enkore is outperforming by 6+ fps so that makes sense.

How did the grips compare in your opinion? When I shot the Enkore it was clear to me elite has the best grip on the market - but I obviously haven't handled the new Hoyts so don't know how they compare.

As you say, certain tuning isn't a strong point on the new Hoyts. The Elite and Bowtech tuning options are heads above everyone else without question. And I agree and have commented on the terrible approach Hoyt took on the rear stab mount. To not have a normal bushing and instead be required to buy some Hoyt mount (which may not even be great quality but in any case doesn't fit my preference) is almost criminal IMO.

But otherwise sounds like a decent shooting rig. Interested in checking it out at some point.
have you shot any hoyt the past couple years? looks like the same grip, same name i think. i like their grips, but that doesn't mean they are any more repeatable than some others, but they feel really good in the hand and seem to orient well in the hand naturally

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,343 Posts
have you shot any hoyt the past couple years? looks like the same grip, same name i think. i like their grips, but that doesn't mean they are any more repeatable than some others, but they feel really good in the hand and seem to orient well in the hand naturally
No I haven't. The only nearby Hoyt dealer is an old guy who literally won't let you shoot any of hit Hoyts. Has no demo bows - only way you can shoot one is to buy one. And I've had zero interest in what Hoyt has had to offer in years so the grip was sort of irrelevant. These new bows are a decent shift in the direction of what others (with superior options over a number of years) are doing so they could get themselves back in the game from my perspective....we'll see.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Well I will say both of those bows are awesome. The Hoyt ventum 33 was drawing 71lbs and the Elite Enkore was at 70.5. Both at 29.5 inches. Draw cycle is good on both but the Hoyt feels a decent bit lighter. Like at least 2lbs lighter.
Vibration again Hoyt wins this. I really couldn’t tell much difference with or without Hoyts little chub stabilizer. It’s just dead in the hand. The Elite is also pretty shock free but not as shock free as the Hoyt. As far as noise goes they are both really quiet and I couldn’t tell much of a difference.
Speed we shot a 427 grain Carbon Express Maxima 350 through the Pro Chrono chronograph. We shot three arrows out of each bow. Both bows had a whisker biscuit and a loop. The Elite was 297,298,297 and the Hoyt was 291,290,292.
Weight, we weighed each bow with the whisker biscuit. The Elite was 4.9lbs and the Hoyt was 5lbs with out the little chub stabilizer. I believe the tech said the little stabilizer weighed 3.5 ounces.
Before I went to the shop I really thought I would be ordering a new Elite Enkore. But I’m really liking the new Hoyt Ventum 33. I have to go back to the shop Friday night to get new cams for my Ritual 35 and will probably be ordering a Ventum 33 in Buckskin.
Disclaimer these are my findings and opinions. I’m sure some others opinions will vary. But Hoyt did a heck of a job on their new Aluminum bows. Their Carbon bows don’t do it for me so I didn’t even bother to shot them even though the tech asked me 2-3 times if I wanted to. I know they won’t be as easy/fast to tune as the new Elites. But they are really nice and I bet they sell a lot of them. Also one thing I don’t care for is the lack of a bushing for a rear bar in the Hoyt. You have to buy their rear bar mount.
So ventum 33 is about a real number 323ibo bow?
I hate to ruffle your feathers again but come on Hoyt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Kind of a lurker here but I work in a shop and shot the ventum 30 tonight. I currently have a carbon spyder 30 and have shot the nexus 2,4, and new Mathews this year. The ventum was at 29 inch and 70lbs. The cams remind me a lot of bowtechs and how they adjust.
With nothing on it but the factory stabilizer it weighed 5lbs even. The grip is a lot like the prior year if not the same. The draw was very even and smooth all the way. The valley was also very nice, felt like the revolt to me. Also a very solid back wall which I really liked.
It is a tad top heavy but there is very little vibration and it is very solid in the hand.
overall a solid offering I would say and I’d like to see what they do with it going forward.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I just watched the Lancaster Video review, and maybe I will SMH for now.
I have been pretty critical of Hoyt, but I feel like they have done as much (or more in some cases)as other manufacturers to improve this years line-up. I am going to be quiet until I shoot the V33.

·
Registered
66 Posts
just shot the Ventum 33, RX5 and RX5 Ultra and Axius Ultra. the Carbon bows are not light, noticed that immediately. The RX5 Ultra had very minimal vibration for a carbon bow! I was blown away, couldn't stop shooting it, the draw is sooooo smooth. the Ventum 33 on the other hand had the same smooth draw but so much vibration and no difference with the dampener. we added a 8in stabilizer and the vibrations got worse! reduced the poundage and still had the same amount of vibration. the Axius Ultra is the way to go if you want aluminum smooth draw cycle and no vibration when the stabilizer was added. the new bows were quiet, esp the RX5 Ultra. Draw cycle on both longer bows felt the same, very comfortable. the same poundage on the shorter RX5 felt heavier/stiffer to pull and it had more vibration than the RX5 Ultra. Shot the bows with and without the dampener, there was some reduction in vibration with it added and the balance was better but throwing on the 8in stabilizer did the same thing and looked better. the back wall on the Hoyts, loved it no play. could tell a huge difference between the back wall of the Axius compared to all the new Hoyts. the Ventum 33 has larger shock pods than the Axius and RX5 but those didn't look like they helped it. we checked the Ventum 33 to make sure everything was tight and in spec and string stop was in the same spot as the others and still had a lot of post shot vibration. I'll visit another pro shop this weekend to see if it was just a fluke with this Ventum 33. grip on all bows was great no complaints there. never found any RX4 Alphas or Ultras locally to shoot and compare between em so cant speak to that. overall not a bad way to spend the night. loved the finish of the RX5 with Wilderness color! with a whisker biscuit and dampener the RX5 Ultra came in around 5lbs the Ventum 33 was just a bit more with the same setup. I ordered a Axius Ultra yesterday without shooting one but after today I'm happy with my decision!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
So ventum 33 is about a real number 323ibo bow?
I hate to ruffle your feathers again but come on Hoyt

These were straight out of the box. Threw a biscuit on them and shot through a pro chrono. I guess the Elite is running about 330 then? Seems like every review I’ve read on the new Elites is they’re hitting their numbers.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As an old elite guy like the 3 track cam paired with 33ata and 6.5 brace of the v 33. simple elegant. I don't mind shiming. the lines are clean.
If those are the specs you’re interested in I’d think you could find them at a lot less weight and expense. Whatever floats your boat though...

D

·
Registered
742 Posts
Great question.
Mount the quiver into the original sight holes. Brings it tighter to the riser.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hoyt built a 33” VXR clone riser!!!
With a better draw cycle (sorry had to stir the pot) lol

·
Registered
742 Posts
As mentioned earlier - they are clearly trying to push their Fuse (junk) accessories in concert with this bow release.
Axcel, HHA, and spot hog are coming out with compatible sights. Those are junk too

Reactions: lee31

·
Registered
284 Posts
It seems like Hoyt laid back in the cut with the same design for a couple years, then they come out with this bow and borrowed ideas from all the other companies that have been taking chances with innovation.

Matthews style “top hat” shims

Pse cable stops

Matthews front lower dampener

Pse low stabilizer mount

Pse winged string tracks.

Looks like a great bow, but a mishmash of other companies ideas.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It seems like Hoyt laid back in the cut with the same design for a couple years, then they come out with this bow and borrowed ideas from all the other companies that have been taking chances with innovation.

Matthews style “top hat” shims

Pse cable stops

Matthews front lower dampener

Pse low stabilizer mount

Pse winged string tracks.

Looks like a great bow, but a mishmash of other companies ideas.

Well the evolve cam is dartons cam. All companies do that.

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
Priced me right out of it. Probably have to learn to use a release... Anything else that DOES have your interest?
Not really. Bow specs haven't changed in several years so my several year old bows are going to stay. Changing brace height and ATA lengths by fractions here or there and IBO speeds by 2-3fps each year isn't really worth getting excited about. The gimmicky sight and rest mounts out now are worthless to 95% of people. Cam systems have gotten more and more complicated and now are going back to more simple again. It's all just different shades of lipstick on the same old pigs. We're just nearing the end of the engineering and technology boom in the sport.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Everyone here saying shimming ain’t that bad. Your right it no biggy deal for 90% of us who are on here cause we all have our own little bow shops. But for every shop around shims are a pain in the ass. Just dumb

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Remember those fighting headlines, lead or get out of the way, or catch us if you can ??? Hoyt should use the phrase,,,following the pack.

I simply cannot reason to myself why I would buy a Hoyt's entry year of a new cam system. Last time I did that I ended up with a abortion from K&K bows.

If I buy a new bow this year, it will be a PSE being they have been using this system for several years and have it far more advanced than Hoyt does for sure.

Whoever is leading Hoyt today should just turn in your resignation papers, you are STUPID !
why are they stupid? building a new cam? expecting people to buy them? they are doing what every company is doing, building bows that people will like (of course nobody is going to all like the same bow) if people didn't buy a company's entry year of a new cam, there would be no bows, we would all have to shoot 15yr old compounds and trad bows.

they release a similar bow 2 yrs in a row (rx3-4) and people complain they are too similar, they build a new cam system and people say they're dumb..... i see a trend

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think they're both ugly. Maybe the computer images aren’t too good but I’m not blown away.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Buckskins back - nice! Wish they'd have kept that in the standard line up for the 2019/2020 bows.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,261 Posts
I looked at the bows and then went back to the thread and started scrolling and that's exactly what I thought........it made me laugh, thanks.

I'm NOT even close to being brand loyal but so far Mathews and Hoyt just have nothing that interests me and what I'm looking for........and honestly I hate that.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts