Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to bow hunting. When I bought my new bow in December, it came with free lessons. The instructor is teaching me back tension shooting. I'm not sure if this is the way I should be learning. I've heard back tension is more for target shooting, not hunting. Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I originally thought so too, but I later learned that it is a style of shooting. I started out with just punching the trigger on a wrist release. Later, (read 10 years later) I learned how to shoot with back tension. Any release can be shot with back tension. It really is the best way to learn. If I had started out learning back tension, my shooting would have progressed much faster.

Once I learned how to shoot with back tension, my groupings went from 4-5 inches at 30 yards to <4 inches at 60 yards. This is all done with a wrist release.

My opinion - Learn to shoot back tension and you will shoot better than many, sooner. Your coach sounds like he knows what he is doing.

·
<---Ride the Lightning
2,031 Posts
Listen to your coach.
Learning to do it correctly from the start will keep you from having problems down the road.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
What he is teaching you is the proper way a release should be shot, no matter what style. Listen to him and learn and you will probably not be facing the dreaded target panic from punching the release after a few years.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You are being taught the correct way from the start. Many archers do not get the privilege to learn back tension from the start. Listen to your coach bud.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Be sure to thank him the next time you see him. :nod: I wish I had a coach teach me back tension when I started compound shooting, it would have saved me a lot of worry, headaches and depression.

Don't worry, what you're learning will translate to any type of shooting. I've killed several critters since going to back tension, and with a hinge release no less.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
shot for 20 +yrs and just learned back tension 2 yrs ago. I'm a way better shooter now because of back tension. I had target panic and had to learn back tension to save my archery. Once you get target panic its always their and never really goes away. So I say learn backtension and your good to go. Best thing to happen to me in archery in shooting skills especially in long distance. www.robinhoodvideos.com archery has some great dvds to help in this. shooter series #1-#6. The first dvd is the best. its all about the basics and I have wore this dvd out and need a new one. The first 3 are the best in archery form issues. hope this helps and catch you later. was asked what is the best archey product I've ever bought? I told them these shooter series dvd's from coach bernie. I bow hunt and target and 3d shoot. I'm not the best shot but my name is usually up their in the mix on a normal day due to back tension shooting.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
He is teaching you proper shot execution.Basically,in a hunting situation,he is teaching you to aim through the release and imo,this is the main reason many of us have and still experience target panic.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I don't want this to come of the wrong way....but there is a reason you are the student and he is the techer. Listen to your teacher. By learning BT from the start you have no bad habits to unlearn later on down the road. Be very very thankful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts