Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my son is 5 will be 6 in October and I want to take him with me this year. Do any of you guys have little ones that you started this young? I want him to shoot, but should I just let him tag along? thanks again

·
Registered
PSE Evoke 35 EC
1,285 Posts
definitely let him tag along at least, i wish my dad had taken me when i was younger

·
Registered
14 Posts
My personal opinion is that they are too young to shoot until they can hunt and not just kill. Once a child is old enough to do some of the work and scouting that goes into the hunting, then I don't think they should shoot, other wise it is just killing. I would absolutely let him tag along and learn, that is the best way.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah, let him tag along. I take the grand kids with me. I even put a loc-on type stand next to mine. Dress them warm and be prepared for a short day in the stand, they get bored pretty quick. I've had more luck in the blind during turkey season with the movement being more concealed and it being warmer they will be more comfortable. Unless he's a big 6yr old I dont think he'll be able to pull the minimum weight res. on a bow yet though LOL. My 7 yr old grandson gets to pull the trigger this year in deer season with the muzzleloader. The hardest thing I found to taken the little ones is finding camo for the smaller sizes. Good Luck Noc

·
Registered
518 Posts
I was sitting under my dads deer stand at the age of 4, he let me take my game boy in case i got board. so he plenty old enough to get let em tag along

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I say let him hunt. I have six soon to be seven year old daughter that is gonna hunt this year. She can't wait. I am more excited about her hunting than myself.

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
well i dont know i am torn a lil. my dad didnt let me go till i was 12 (i was a large 12 year old and had an adult bow on 57lbs) i could climb into stands myself and drag and gut em myself. (i killed 2 that year with a bow too and was hooked) i was always taggin along when i was younger during scouting trips and stand set ups. but wasnt allowed to hunt till i could do it by myself. looking back maybe he was just selfish and didnt want to give up his time till he could stick me in a stand by myself lol. i feel it taught me alot waiting till i was older and had to learn alot before he would let me go. i think i will hold my kids back a lil bit too. to me it is a matter of life and death literally and i dont know that lil kids understand the magnitude of what putting the bullet or arrow into the deer means. i do believe its our resposibility as hunters to kill as quickly and efficiently as possible.

edit* if your just talking about taggin along to watch by all means enjoy. and my post should no way be taken as someone else's moral compass just sharing my experience and views from the way i was brought up. i think we all need to make these decisions for ourself.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies guys..I wasnt raised by a hunter so thats why I asked...I really appreciate your views..... and was planning on getting a blnd for me and him just so he could watch......I do think its important to get him envolved though because I know I wish I had that when I was young..... just wasnt sure about letting him pull the trigger yet...thanks again

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
In my opinion squirrel hunting is the best way to teach kids to hunt. Plenty of action, you can move around, you aren't going to want to put him up for adoption when he blurts something out and spooks everything within a mile... Seriously 5 is pretty young for deer hunting. Kids attention spans are pretty short and the last thing you want to do is make it a bad experience for him. You have to realize that if he is with you the day is about him and not about you hunting. That means if it's prime time and he's bored you are done. If he would rather wander around and hit trees with a stick then let him. Make it fun for him. Take him scouting, take him when you put up stands, take him on a recovery but if you want to hunt grab the .22 and a pocket full of snacks and chase some bushytails. Even then you are more likely to spend a day plinking pine cones for the fun of it. In the end you will be more likely to plant the seed and have a hunting buddy for life.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think 6 is too young to shoot but that's just my opinion. It depends on the kid. My little nieces are much older than my daughter who is 4 and I dont think they can understand the entire situation of a dead animal. However, my daughter can and has since she was 2. Now my son is 2 and I dont think he could cope with a dead animal. But my daughter is extremely mature for her age. Best of luck to you. I CANT wait to take my kids out with me. My best memories come from hunting with my dad when i was young.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My dad started taking me rabbit and squirrel hunting when i was 6. Get him out there even if he cant shoot he will love the experience and the time with his dad. I know i did

1 - 12 of 12 Posts