Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First pics of the new Merlin Hunter's Quest 35 with Omega hybrid system!

35" ATA
8" brace

28.5" AMO drawlength with a 320 grain arrow at 60lbs right around 270fps, 425 grain arrow around 240fps, Dead quiet, little vibration or handshock, perfectly straight and level nock travel at all drawlengths. Customers are loving them. ;) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

pic--

Attachments

·
74,535 Posts
I remember her.

Pinwheel your were not suppose to be looking. Got to love the trade show.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
good advertising

Yowsa!!! I gotta get me to those trade shows...

Monster Racks.....ya gotta love em

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
:D :) :p :D Buying what ever she was selling???? Almost forgot, nice, nice bow that is!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'll try to respond to the photo of the bow. :eek: :D

I went to a shop the other day that just started carrying the Merlins. A bunch of us went and I was surprised by the number of negative comments. No one even shot the bow, just commented that they didn't care to because of the looks. Personally, I thought it looked great, but I question the usefulness of the finish on some of the parts, for hunting purposes. By the way, your photos are way too dark and do not show the true colors of the bow.

I loved the light colored camo, but everyone else in the group hated it. I hope Merlin leaves it the way it is, but overall the hunting clientel of this area doesn't seem too impressed by it's looks. A couple quys mentioned that it looked like an "old style" bow. I think they've been influenced by long risers, parallel limbs and strait limbs.

Here's what we all didn't like: The finish on the cams and arrow shelf is a bright shiney orange. On a hunting bow, why wouldn't they use a matte finish? This doesn't make any sense to me. No hunter would ever purposely choose a shiney finish on any bow part, even if it has no effect on the game. The fact that it might, rules it out. The next problem was even worse. The limb bolt looks like it has a stainless steel outer rim. Looks like a big eyeball - shiney as can be. Think predator! No way am I pointing that at a game animal.

Merlin really needs to reconsider these last two points, on the hunting bows. The current design just isn't going to cut it, in this area. Just an opinion...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pin,Whats the A.M.O. speed with this Bow,and the 8"Brace?Look's like a fine piece of equipment.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
when i saw the color of the limb pockets i thought of hoyt , but after looking at the close up...... where are these made? :confused:

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Steve-

The "orange" finish is supposed to be copper-colored. I recently received a couple of the bows with the brighter color anodize and this is being corrected. Subcontractors....;)

And the shiny limb bolt washer will be corrected, it will be black. ;) That was my first peeve also.

Sorry for the darker pics, yes, I also think the camo is great, but yes, some guys do not like anything that isn't Mossy Oak or Realtree. Oh well, cannot please everyone. One good thing is that Merlin will listen to suggestions and do try their best. If your group shoots them, they will buy them. Best hybrid on the planet, and yes, I've shot them all.

Highstander--

I don't have the true AMO speed on the bow, and for that matter I don't have the actual IBO speed either!:eek: I suppose more testing is warranted in the days to come! ;) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
431 Posts
Too many good American bows for me to buy an overseas product. I like to buy American.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Flyby-

They are retailing in the $650 range, same as everyone else. Actual price is determined by the individual dealerships.

bbarnett51--

I'm also a proud and loyal American, but realistically, look around you. There ain't hardly a product anywhere that is completely built in the USA anymore--- even the beloved Ford or Chevy or Dodge all have pre assembly in distant lands. So that arguement really holds little water nowadays to be honest. Most of the major bow manufacturers purchase some of their materials/parts from outside of the country, you just don't know it.;) And, much like other products that are built in Europe---Ferrari, Porche, BMW, Mercedes, Land rover, etc. etc. they are built with higher quality, too. (even if the limb bolt is silver!:D ---just 'cause they don't hunt doesn't mean they don't know how to build fine equipment--their target bows have won many World Championships and set many World records---the little cosmetic things we are getting straightened out by giving true bowhunter input to the factory)

These bows have it all, bottom line-- I haven't found a better built bow in the 35 years that I've invested into this sport and industry, and you'll be seeing alot more of them around in the future, mark my words. ;) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
984 Posts
Pinwheel,

Thanks for the explanation. Copper will definitely look better than orange, especially if it isn't shiney.

I have another question. The limb pocket looks very similar to the one I've seen on the Hoyts. It's possible they may be completely different. I don't really know how the Hoyts work, but the design appeared similar. I noticed what looked like about 8 or 10 set screws that had to be loosened to move the limb pockets with the limb bolts. I'm guessing you have to retighten them, with this same procedure occuring each time you want to adjust the draw weight. Seems like a lot of work, and I'm wondering what the purpose is. What advantage is there in this tedious system over a more standard limb pocket's adjustments?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve--

The movable limb pockets are a superior design over the cheaper "standard" limb pockets because the limb is always firmly seated into the pocket, tightly against the dampening material. On the cheaper standard pockets, the limb rides up off any dampening material, causes undue "slap", and can much more easily shift when external force is applied. (drawing) Merlin has two limb-bolt locking grub screws, much like any other top-quality bow on the market, and two different "pocket lock systems" (depending upon model)where you lock two other screws after adjusting draw weight. That's it. Besides, how many times are you going to be adjusting draw weight realistically? This design keeps everything tight, quiet, and where it should be, not floating around or sticking up off the bottom of the pocket and creating undue slap and noise at the shot. MOST top companies know/care about this, and offer locking pockets on their bows. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
984 Posts
If it's a superior design, then that is good. Unfortunately, I am one who always changes draw weight. I have tendonitis in both shoulders and some days, it hurts too much and I practice with a lower weight. If the tendonitis isn't acting up, I can easily pull a much higher weight. I hate not practicing, so I've been doing this to keep the shoulders from hurting.

I a bit familiar with the Martin limb pockets and they have a couple steel rockers that fit in the limb pockets. the rockers are pressed into the bow limb and cannot move. It seems like a good design with no chance of the limb moving that I can see.

·
CottonHeadedNinnyMuggins
1,243 Posts
My dad just got his Quest 35 Omega cam bow. We set it up and shot it a couple of times. I was very impressed with how smooth the bow draws!!! It was also very quiet.

I was very impressed with how Merlin had updated the Quest riser. The grip is awsome, Camo color is great, and the stainless stabilizer bushing was much appreciated.

Only two negatives to mention and that was the cam color (to orange, need to match the limbpockets) and the silver limb bolt washer. Not that big of a deal, I'm sure the deer and turkeys will not mind :D .

ps. Of the fullsize trucks sold in the US, last I heard there was only one that was complety built in the US. Toyota Tundra.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts