Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about constructing a small hunting cabin, just big enough for two people. I want it small in size maybe 12' x 16' or so, maybe even a bit smaller. Gonna put a set of bunk beds in it for my son and I. Then add a small woodstove.

I was just wondering what is the smallest hunting cabin/shack that you guys have? I'm not talking camping for a week... just for an overnighter, or maybe two nights at best....with my boy

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
I'm thinking about constructing a small hunting cabin, just big enough for two people. I want it small in size maybe 12' x 16' or so, maybe even a bit smaller. Gonna put a set of bunk beds in it for my son and I. Then add a small woodstove.

I was just wondering what is the smallest hunting cabin/shack that you guys have? I'm not talking camping for a week... just for an overnighter, or maybe two nights at best....with my boy
Good thread!

I just purchased a small farm in Tennessee and was considering the EXACT same thing! Looking forward to reading everyone's responses...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone?? :shade:

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
Ken - my grandfather put up a good sized shed in the woods, and it is OK..but there are no beds, just an easy chari, a stove, a table, and some shelving..if thwe work filter allows photobucket tonight - I will post them

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Myself and two freinds did just that. We built a 8 X 12 to get out of the weather. But, wanting to stay overnight at times, we added another 8 X 12 to it and added two bunkbeds. But we've since added a 12 X 16 room as well. So now it's three rooms and small, but I could live there if I had to....I kinda' want to actually. :lol:

No running water, but there's a spring nearby and we keep barrels filled. We have a woodstove for warmth and cooking and a camp stove to cook, too. We have electricity via batteries and a 2000W AC inverter instead of noisy, smelly, expensive to run generators....pair of golf cart 6 volts batteries work great! But we usually just use lamps and candles for lights. And a good, ol' outhouse for the dirty business. We even have a meatpole out back to hang our critters.

We didn't spend much as lots of the lumber was from demo projects and we looked for deals on what we bought.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Mine is 10x14. I wouldn't put a woodstove in it. I have a small gas heater with a thermastat. Even in winter once it's warm inside it barely come on. I also have a 3 burner stove from a popup camper. The front is 10 ft high with a queen bunk , so you can walk under it. Giving u the entire floor space. Works great for a weekend hunting trip.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,368 Posts
No spare bunk for Lou? Some friend you are Ken! :grin:

What about keeping a travel trailer up there Ken? You can find some great deals on them probably cheaper than building a cabin from scratch.

This way you have a furnace, a bathroom, bunks, sink, etc. The property next to where I hunt, they have an old mobile home on it, that works for them.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Have good ventilation for your heat source. Maybe even crack a window if needed. Build as big as you can within your limits. That size cabin is almost like a shed. Oh, ...and have a great time! SRM

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No spare bunk for Lou? Some friend you are Ken
Lou, anytime youw ant to come to Northern NY from Michigan, you are welcome to hunt with me!

The reason I am staying away from a travel trailer is they cost about the same, but where I want to put the cabin, I would have to cut a big road almost 1/2 mile long, where I can have a small storage building built in sections by the amish, and haul it in by ATV, then assemble it without much cutting or road building. :shade:

·
Registered
236 Posts
my old camp in the adirondacks started out as a basic lean too and over time it grew into a 500 square foot cape style camp with bunkroom, kitchen, 2 closets, restroom type area, and lighted with gas lanterns, heated with wood stove, and food kept cold with gas refridge. If I can locate the pics, I will post.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Good for you, but I agree with someone else here about the wood stove. A heater would be much better as far as room and heat regulation go. When I was younger, my best friend had a 10x16 "cabin". we cooked and slept in there, but some of the most memorable times of my life are the time we sat outside by a big fire just hanging out and planning the next day or reliving old hunts etc. You gotta have a fire outside.

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
Dont let Lou kid ya - I've seen pics on his Facebook....he rides in style!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Have good ventilation for your heat source. Maybe even crack a window if needed. Build as big as you can within your limits. That size cabin is almost like a shed. Oh, ...and have a great time! SRM
My cabin is taxed as a storage shed. It really helps with the taxes. we only go up in the summer & a few weekends for hunting. In the summer when alot of people come, we just pitch tents.

·
Registered
76 Posts
treestand.jpg i am in the process of building one , it is on 4x4 post 13'6" to the floor from the ground . it is 8'x8'x8' tall has a trap door in the floor 3'x2', and has a 18" tall by 6' wide window in each side.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I built a 14x28 camp with a porch on the front. Now I kinda wish I had went bigger but I can sleep 4 comfortably. I would look into a blue flame heater from Northern Tool. Good luck CASH

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
At my duck club, we bought a used construction trailer for $400. It is 30' long, has two rooms, one on each end that holds two single bunk beds each. There is about a 12' living space in the middle where we can hang out. Best thing about it is that it has wiring for lighting and outlets that we just plug our generator into outside. It's well insulated, clean, and fairly new. The bummer was that it cost $600 to have it delivered to our club (sketchy levee road), but all in all, sleep 8 comfortably and has all the amenities of home, except bathroom. Way cheaper than pouring a pad and framing up something comparable.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Think about this Find an old 500$ pull camper with all the stuff in it you already need that you can leave in the woods as your cabin .Then hand drive your own well and put a hand pump head on it for fresh water Then hand dig a small sissturn and one line sub septic about 25 ft long and just hook up .We did that about 25 years ago and it was the bees knees !!

Those old hunting campers are everywhere.:)

That is my suggestion.

·
Registered
825 Posts
+1 on a cheap-ass camper. We did the build-a-shed thing on the cheap a couple of years ago...it was a build-a-shed cheap :) Roof leaked, floor was garbage, no toilet, etc. Spent close to a grand on material too.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Old camper, way cheaper than building.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts