Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched their video last night and to be honest I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the bow and if I was in the market for a new hunting bow I'd have no qualms giving it a test run. What struck me odd was Warb's choice of arrows. I know in the past he was shooting 70# and has at least a 30" draw but it's a single cam bow with an IBO of 320.

So let's make the assumption it actually hits IBO. This is not a knock against Bear, it seems very few if any manufs actually hit IBO. He was shooting a 700g+ arrow for pigs, midwest and north east deer and I think a 565g arrow for out west.

I haven't run any numbers thru software - my server at the office actually crashed Monday and we barely got all my backup for tax software loaded into the new server to hit this 7/31 deadline so my fun personal stuff hasn't been put into the new server yet. So I'm doing the math in my head, but I'm guessing a 750g arrow with his setup will shoot 190ish fps and the 565g maybe 240ish fps.

I know people still shoot trad bows and Native Americans used a sharp rock for broadheads, etc, but when Native Americans hunted they got in groups riding horses and put multiple arrows into game.

I'll go ahead and put my flamesuit on 'cause I know someone will chime in with a, "learn to hunt, get'em 15 yds and in." Well where I live we can't bait and if I waited until a deer got within 15 yds or tried to stalk a deer in a wide open CRP field I'd just be hungry. If I was in one of those elevated blinds, in the dark, with a spot light and a feeder 20yds and in I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not allowed to hunt like that.

With a 430g arrow he'd be 290ish fps and 80ft KE and golden in my mind.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
6,188 Posts
I started with a 70lb compound bow shooting 195 fps with a 30 inch 2117 and 125 broadhead, kilt elk and deers with that set up and a bear with a 2219 with a 160 gr Thunderhead

Went to a 2115 and hit 205fps woo hoo

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
6,188 Posts
Okay I had to google this as the headline and first comment was confusing

The Hunting Public debuted a New Bear bow named the ADAPT

Evansville, IN (July 18, 2022) Bear Archery in collaboration with The Hunting Public, is proud to announce the all-new ADAPT. The 2023 ADAPT is a solo-cam hunting bow designed to deliver best-in-class performance, comfort, and durability.

The Bear ADAPT was strategically developed in partnership with The Hunting Public to bring bowhunters the most premium and best performing single cam bow on the market. The ADAPT encompasses everything The Hunting Public has liked most from other Bear Archery bows in the recent years. From the tuneability to the smooth and forgiving draw cycle, the ADAPT was built to perform at its peak regardless of the hunting scenario.

“Bear Archery and The Hunting Public are two industry leaders that complement each other in so many ways.” Said Alec Wyman, Bear Archery Marketing Manager. “The Hunting Public’s idea to develop a Bear bow that suits their widely accepted and growing public land hunting style was one our team wasted no time bringing to life.”

The Hunting Public deliberately chose a 32” axle-to-axle and 6.5” brace height as middle ground for ease of handling in tight spaces. The single cam design features an 80% let off and ships with an optional limb stop for a rock-hard back wall. The ADAPT offers a very comfortable draw cycle and can accommodate draw lengths from 24”-31”. To further deliver upon its claim of superior comfort and durability, the ADAPT comes with an all-new molded, soft-touch, low wrist grip labeled the Bear Paw – a nod to Bear Archery’s famed bow grip from the 1970’s. The ADAPT’s easy to tune cam system sacrifices little on the speed front and brings arrow speeds up to 320 FPS IBO.

“First - we wanted a bow that was easy to tune. Bowhunters like shooting a variety of broadhead and arrow combinations and the ADAPT was designed to easily tune with most of them.” Said Aaron Warbritton, Host of the Hunting Public. “Second – the bow needed to be accurate and forgiving to shoot. The average whitetail hunter is taking close range shots in dynamic hunting situations. We wanted the bow to be dependable and forgiving in these ever-changing scenarios. These two points in turn lead us to the name, "ADAPT". The ADAPT draws easily with a solid back wall making it perfect for unpredictable hunting positions like crouching on the ground or hanging from a saddle. This bow was made to hunt and that's exactly what we intend to do with it."

The 2023 ADAPT will initially be available at Bear Archery authorized dealers and online as a bow-only option in both 45-60lb and 55-70lb limb weights. Ready to Hunt (RTH) variants will be offered later this fall for those looking to add a Trophy Ridge sight, rest, stabilizer, quiver, no-tie tube peep, and D-loop to the bow. The bow only version will be available solely in a Throwback Tan finish which is composed of a dessert tan riser and Fred Bear camo limbs. The Ready to Hunt models will be available in TrueTimber Strata, Throwback Tan, Veil Whitetail, and solid Olive. The bow only model comes in at the incredible price of $479.99 and the RTH models start at $559.99.

“We've worked with the guys at Bear for over a year developing this bow and are beyond thrilled at how it turned out.” Said the Hunting Public. “The ADAPT was a full team effort and the end result is truly something special that we believe everyone will enjoy.”

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I watched their video last night and to be honest I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the bow and if I was in the market for a new hunting bow I'd have no qualms giving it a test run. What struck me odd was Warb's choice of arrows. I know in the past he was shooting 70# and has at least a 30" draw but it's a single cam bow with an IBO of 320.

So let's make the assumption it actually hits IBO. This is not a knock against Bear, it seems very few if any manufs actually hit IBO. He was shooting a 700g+ arrow for pigs, midwest and north east deer and I think a 565g arrow for out west.

I haven't run any numbers thru software - my server at the office actually crashed Monday and we barely got all my backup for tax software loaded into the new server to hit this 7/31 deadline so my fun personal stuff hasn't been put into the new server yet. So I'm doing the math in my head, but I'm guessing a 750g arrow with his setup will shoot 190ish fps and the 565g maybe 240ish fps.

I know people still shoot trad bows and Native Americans used a sharp rock for broadheads, etc, but when Native Americans hunted they got in groups riding horses and put multiple arrows into game.

I'll go ahead and put my flamesuit on 'cause I know someone will chime in with a, "learn to hunt, get'em 15 yds and in." Well where I live we can't bait and if I waited until a deer got within 15 yds or tried to stalk a deer in a wide open CRP field I'd just be hungry. If I was in one of those elevated blinds, in the dark, with a spot light and a feeder 20yds and in I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not allowed to hunt like that.

He will kill lots of deer with the set up I’m guessing. Why do you care? Am I messing up by shooting a 672 gr arrow? Please tell me so I can change my set up to meet your specs.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
He will kill lots of deer with the set up I’m guessing. Why do you care? Am I messing up by shooting a 672 gr arrow? Please tell me so I can change my set up to meet your specs.
Cause this is archery talk and its what people do.

I think its comical that HP has jumped onto this heavy duty stuff. These guys are better hunters than I, probably kill more than I, etc.

When it comes to archery and bows and lethality there are 5-10 public figures that I would listen to over these guys.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Cause this is archery talk and its what people do.

I think its comical that HP has jumped onto this heavy duty stuff. These guys are better hunters than I, probably kill more than I, etc.

When it comes to archery and bows and lethality there are 5-10 public figures that I would listen to over these guys.
People spend time evaluating other people’s setups to the point of figuring out their fps without even knowing them? Knowing full while they don’t care to hear your opinion? Interesting…

·
Registered
488 Posts
We really can't be too hard on this bow. It's a new offering from bear in collaboration with THP. At $429 it is an awesome bow and will serve your average bowhunter very well. The Diamond Liberty was one of my favorite hunting bows of all time. It had a very smooth draw, was lightweight, easy to shoot, all at a blistering IBO of 294-302 fps.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Think of it this way: Fred Bear wanted to make archery accessible to everyone. Regardless of wealth status.

THP’s goal is to show that the average Joe can be successful on public, regardless of wealth.

Bear probably came to THP saying something along the lines of, “we’re making a killing with you guys by sponsoring us! Let’s try to make a budget bow with your input and THP logo to sell even more!”

It’s really just about two visions aligning for the good ‘ole dollar. I wouldn’t read too much into it. I mean, it’s not like they’re sporting the newest $1300 Mathews hunting on baited/food plot private land from box blinds and such.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just because of Zach I'll never buy anything THP related
I mean, yeah, he's goofy. The spot & stalk archery whitetail thing is pretty impressive, though. And besides, Ted kinda makes up for him.

Think of it this way: Fred Bear wanted to make archery accessible to everyone. Regardless of wealth status.

THP’s goal is to show that the average Joe can be successful on public, regardless of wealth.
Common goals between the two groups.

I walked into an archery shop last year with a budget, and they steered me towards their "budget" rack- modestly priced, starting at $797, for a bow I didn't even want. Ouch. I bought a used bow here instead, for less than half of what they were asking for the same model.

If you want the sport to grow, then you have to lower the barriers to entry- and price is one hell of a barrier to entry. I'm glad somebody is focused on affordability and expanding accessibility instead of maximizing profits. I would seriously consider buying one of the Adapts, or at least trying one out, if I didn't have two bows already (well, one is waiting on parts). Who knows? Maybe I'll get a used Adapt off from somebody on here in February, just for fun. :D

·
Registered
5,777 Posts

I enjoy watching the HP. To my mind they have one of the best shows out there.
Extremely heavy arrows are a current fad. Like most fads in archery it will fade with time. There will always be a few die hards but most will transition back to weights that fly flatter and faster. Just give it time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the bow is excellent. Especially considering that price point. I’d assume it performs as well or better than a 2005-2010-era Hoyt or Matthews, and still cost less new than those this back then. But that’s all subjective guesswork to say, it’ll kill a critter just fine. I spent more on a bow this year, but to me it was worth waiting until it made sense. Some guys buy a new $1500+ setup every year. That’s also cool. No sweat off of my back.

As far as Rab’s setups, I’m guessing he isn’t scouring the internet scoffing yours? That’s not a flame, more of a question of why you care so much? To the specifics, you left out a couple of his specific notes. Yep, 700gr arrow to shoot Midwest and northern whitetail - also mentioning that shots are 15-30 yards. What he didn’t mention is assumed, in that a 30 yard whitetail shot is well longer than average. The record book average is under 20. I’m pretty sure he put some thought into it, and can fling it fine to that range. 550 for western hunting is well within the bell curve of “normal.” Certainly as much as your recommended 430, maybe more so?

Bottom line - your insistence that 430 is “golden” might be true. If your shot is good and it doesn’t move. But he’s no less golden with 700+ at 20 yards. Sub-$500 bows get people hunting, and 700 grain arrows at short range will kill anything. What’s the issue?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I enjoy watching the HP. To my mind they have one of the best shows out there.
Extremely heavy arrows are a current fad. Like most fads in archery it will fade with time. There will always be a few die hards but most will transition back to weights that fly flatter and faster. Just give it time.
Liked your post, this is just a genuine question. How much flatter, really, does a 450 arrow fly than a 550? I’m starting to see, if ballistic calculators are anywhere close, that it doesn’t much matter. (340gr or 780gr are much different stories. I don’t shoot either of those.) My arrow builds are centered around tune and flight. If that’s 490 I’ll shoot it. If it’s 560, I’ll shoot it. They’re just easier to shoot consistently and tune. (IMO)

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Liked your post, this is just a genuine question. How much flatter, really, does a 450 arrow fly than a 550? I’m starting to see, if ballistic calculators are anywhere close, that it doesn’t much matter. (340gr or 780gr are much different stories. I don’t shoot either of those.) My arrow builds are centered around tune and flight. If that’s 490 I’ll shoot it. If it’s 560, I’ll shoot it. They’re just easier to shoot consistently and tune. (IMO)
Not a lot of difference in those two arrows in trajectory at practical hunting distances. Say 30 yards and in. Past that the 30 fps difference in speed will start to show up. I personally like a 12 yard shot from about 15 feet up. I can shoot any combination I want. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ahhh, agreed. But which one slows down faster? 😉 Admittedly, my calculus isn’t the same as everyone. I don’t shoot at critters beyond 50, and only then if a perfect shot with no wind, etc. My go-to is 40 and in. Unfortunately, I had to prove it two years ago. Watched the biggest bull I’ve ever seen during hunting season walk away at 62 yards. I still have nightmares.

Agreed on 12 yards. Even I can make that shot!! 😂

1 - 20 of 139 Posts