Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been brainstorming alot lately about spot and stalk hunting. I love to do it but I hate wearing just my socks. How good would it work to take some sort of fabric (fleece?) and basically make a boot out of it? It would be high enough to go over your calf so there can be an elastic band which would hold it tight on your leg so it wont just bunch up around your ankles. Then put some sort of material on the bottom for grips? Just thinking alot lately.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Aside from all else; there is something to be said about how you carry yourself.
Slip your foot forward, feel the ground beneath your foot, and then, begin shifting your weight forward.
If you are moving forward before you touch the ground, then you are a bull in a china shop.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Aside from all else; there is something to be said about how you carry yourself.
Slip your foot forward, feel the ground beneath your foot, and then, begin shifting your weight forward.
If you are moving forward before you touch the ground, then you are a bull in a china shop.
BINGO!!!!! I have some friends that would make noise walking on carpet in socks. I can't stand walking in the woods with them. Take a step if you feel something under your foot shift the weight on your foot away from the object. I have walked up on some mule deer in really thick stuff in september and they had no idea I was there.

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,984 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I have been brainstorming alot lately about spot and stalk hunting. I love to do it but I hate wearing just my socks. How good would it work to take some sort of fabric (fleece?) and basically make a boot out of it? It would be high enough to go over your calf so there can be an elastic band which would hold it tight on your leg so it wont just bunch up around your ankles. Then put some sort of material on the bottom for grips? Just thinking alot lately.
maybe something with a cavlar (sp?) bottom so you would never have anything puncture it?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if an animal can see your feet, it can see the rest of you as well.
I was at a shooting event this past weekend and there was a participant wearing them. I could not help but strike up a conversation about them. He told me he loved them. He could get very good grip during his 3-gun courses. he could also feel the ground very well. My thoughts, cuz I think these are pretty cool...not good for cactus, black locust or crabapples as the Vibram sole is pretty thin...OUCH!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’ve used something similar to the bears feet, but they don’t wrap around the boot like the bear feet do, they strap around the boot like a sandal. I still found that thick wool socks work the best; you can feel the ground a lot better and you can tell if you’re on an unstable/noise surface. You also if you are just wearing heavy socks you have a smaller contact area with the ground, this IMO is better than a heavy boot with some fabric wrapped around them.

Like some have said it doesn’t matter what you put on the bottom of your foot if you are heavy footed.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
As long as you can feel the ground under your feet and your foot wear don't add extra noise (I have had boots that squeak when they got wet) they will work. In my opinion it is more about learning how to place your feet and where. I use hiking boots that have some flex to the soul because I did not like pulling thorns out of my feet and the feel of sharp rocks when I use moccasins. If you can get away with thin foot wear in the terrain you hunt go for it but if it causes you a lot of discomfort it is pointless.

When you drive a thorn or a cactus spike into your foot odds are you are not going to be very quiet when it happens.

·
Registered
253 Posts
PSE's Kings accessories line has been making fleece bottomed boot covers called Sneaky Petes. I've been using them for many years and swear by them.

On the perks of them over the others is they do not use Velcro. Instead they have an elastic band. My friends have the ones with velcro and the problem is that if you are really close and need to put them on you are going to struggle trying not to scare the game animal when you tear open the velcro to get your feet in. That and they've found the velcro over time gets full of junk, mud and vegetation to where it doesn't seem to work. All the while my Sneaky Petes hold up for many seasons.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.