Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one I finished a week ago. Thought you might like to see it.
It's about 8 inches long made of 5/32 O1 carbon steel. It has walnut scales with nickle silver retention pins and thong tube.

Thanks for looking.
Eric

·
Registered
108 Posts
beautiful finish on that one. 5/32 o1 is same steel im using on a folder ive been working on. any tips for a good heat treat hardness
using just a torch for heat?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"any tips for a good heat treat hardness using just a torch for heat?"

O1 needs between 1450 and 1500 degrees of heat. I like to soak for about 15 minutes or so. When O1 gets to 1500 degrees it is glowing red, it is also non magnetic. Check it with a magnet and when the magnet does not stick, it has reached it's "critical temperature". Immerse in oil that is at least 70 degrees ferenheit. Heat treating with a torch can be tricky, but with practice it gets fairly easy.

That's about it...there are numerous sources for heat treat information on the web.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Do you sell ur knifes and if so can u pm price and how would it compare to d2 steel I have a knifes of Alaska and I love it "

So far I havent sold any of the knives I've made. This fall I am having some of my knives field tested to see how they perform. I plan to offer some knives for sale beginning next spring and sumer in my area. I am building up a display and I also have some knives promised to friends and relatives who have helped me get started. I dont know what I am going to be able to sell them for, but probably not enough to recoup the amount of work that goes into them.
O1 holds a nice sharp edge and is a steel that can be worked relatively easy. D2 is a tough steel and less prone to rust and stain than O1. Which one you go with is a matter of preference once you understand the material properties.
I've not had any experience with knives of Alaska so I cant comment.

I would like to thank you all for your kind words and compliments...it means a lot to me.

Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts