Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to the Kuiu scene and am just trying to make heads n tails of everything before placing orders. As far as the general thickness of the clothing goes, from lightest to heaviest, it goes tiburon, attack, chinook, guide, then yukon correct? If thats the case, where would the new alpine set fall(I say "set" assuming they'll be coming out with an alpine top)? Super thin and technical for really covering some ground? Thicker/warmer for still hunting & glassing? Just wanted to make sure before I pre-order. Thanks all

I posted this question on the Kuiu forum several days ago and no one seems to know anything. Figured I'd try here to see if anyone has any info, then email Kuiu directly if that fails

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Call Kuiu and ask before you send an email.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
The "alpine" series is about the same as the Attack but just a bit lighter at 1.5oz lighter per their catalog info.
Attack will be a warmer pant/top combo. Apline has built in knee pads which may flop around some on a skinnier dude like me. 5'9" 145#.

Me, I would go for the attack in your situation. Unless you want something really light and padded knees go Apline.
FIT: as far as the tops go I would suggest if you have any kind of "meat in the middle or barrel chest" go with one size larger than you think. I got medium and it will work for me as im a skinny dude but I would not be able to wear a puffy or bulky hoody or sweater under it. I believe they cut their arm area a little tight, but that is good for a bow hunter.

Whatever you choose, get your order in asap cuz it will probably be a while before your gunne get anything anyways as just about everything is backordered from them now.

I just got a Guide DCS jacket 2 weeks ago and hunted in the rain and wind with it here in oregon in about 45-50 degree temps. I did not get cold per say but I could tell that I did not want to be sitting on a ridge or open area without an insulating layer added. All I had was a merino blend base layer then, a really thin top and the jacket.
hope this helps.
Kevin

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "alpine" series is about the same as the Attack but just a bit lighter at 1.5oz lighter per their catalog info.
Attack will be a warmer pant/top combo. Apline has built in knee pads which may flop around some on a skinnier dude like me. 5'9" 145#.

Me, I would go for the attack in your situation. Unless you want something really light and padded knees go Apline.
FIT: as far as the tops go I would suggest if you have any kind of "meat in the middle or barrel chest" go with one size larger than you think. I got medium and it will work for me as im a skinny dude but I would not be able to wear a puffy or bulky hoody or sweater under it. I believe they cut their arm area a little tight, but that is good for a bow hunter.

Whatever you choose, get your order in asap cuz it will probably be a while before your gunne get anything anyways as just about everything is backordered from them now.

I just got a Guide DCS jacket 2 weeks ago and hunted in the rain and wind with it here in oregon in about 45-50 degree temps. I did not get cold per say but I could tell that I did not want to be sitting on a ridge or open area without an insulating layer added. All I had was a merino blend base layer then, a really thin top and the jacket.
hope this helps.
Kevin
Yes it does. I think I'll go with the attack set as u suggested, since I already have a merino layer and a super down layer if needed. From what I've read, the guide set may be a bit too warm to move around in. Thanks!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a guide set since I mostly hunt in November, hoping for snow. This year was a crap shoot (warm, 15" back to hot) I set up when we had good snow without my layers under and thought I was going to die! I was so cold I shook my arrow off when I moved to look at some elk moving in. Layering is a must! I've never had an issue getting wet in rain, with my set.

The guide is the only pieces I have and even when the temps climbed, the the leg and pit zips worked amazing while I was moving. If not hunting in cooler temps the attacks as mentioned would be my pick, They'll be my next purchase. They have the same leg zips and the guide I believe also?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The Attack is considered an all around mid weight pant and I have personally used them in a variety of temps from 25-90 degrees. They are very versatile.

From what I understand the Alpine is very similar in weight to the Attack but they have knee pads and a few extra features. Not a big difference though.
They won't be out till some time in 2015 so you probably won't hear too much from people with first hand experience.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You have the Yukon as the warmest...
The Yukon is a heavy duty breathable rain pant. No insulation.
The attack pant are fantastic. Have not put my hands on the Alpine yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts