Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Minnesota we have a new law for this hunting season......we can no longer bring the spine or the brains of any big game animal shot in another state back to Minnesota. We must now cape and de-bone the animal before we can bring it back across the border.
How many other states have this law??????

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
That is such a bogus law. It has no scientific basis at all. It would do these fish and game departments some good to find out the facts about CWD before they pass moronic laws to look like they are addressing issues that they don't understand.:(

·
Registered
293 Posts
At least Biggame have the damn facts.........We just wish the Game boys were informed.....don't let up Biggame I guess it is left up to us to show them the light.........lol.;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lucky for you hdhunter, this law shouldn't affect you too much, because you have to kill something before you have to worry about it:D :D :D :D

I sent you a couple of logo's. Let me know what everyone thinks about them.:cool:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hunt more out of state than I do in Minnesota so this will be a huge pain in the butt for us. Any idea's on where to leave my boned out animal??? I would hate to leave it on the landowners property.

Dete.....Maybe I will slip across the border and leave it in your back yard.....hehehehe - The logo's are great!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
FYI, this law is to help curb the spread of CWD (chronic wasting disease). Most states either have or are considering regulations of this nature, including my state, NY.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wisconsin

Here in Wisconsin we have what they call the Red Zone. Bucther shops will not touch the deer from that area because of the CWD. Anywhere else in the state they require you to have the deer deboned. I hunt in Upper Michigan and bring them down here to Appleton so no laws on that yet. I also have to go by Wisconsins requirement of deboning even though no CWD is in my hunting area.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
This is my point. The disease is a prion based disease. I don't see how taxidermists or butcher shops have anything to do with prion disease spreading into a region. They have no clue at all how this disease is being spread. Mad cow disease the closest relative occurs at a basal level all the time. Everything is fine becuase the infected animal dies and that is the end. If on the other hand if you instead of disposing of the infected dead animal decide in your wisdon to grind it up and feed it to the entire herd you cause an explosion of the disease. Now with deer species I am unaware of canableism so how is this prion disease spreading? It doesn't make good sence to me. There must be something going on that people are unaware of. It would be a good idea to find out how this disease is spread before you make a lot of jump through hoops laws that do nothing to address the problem.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree with biggame. Good move by the state

The prion is a not a living organism. It is actually a protein found in the diseased animal. They are not sure if the prion is causing the disease of merely a result of the disease. The mode of transmission is also unknown.

I believe the game department is trying to stop the spread. There is not arguement that the disease is being spread. We just don't know how. This is a new category of disease and needs to be understand and controlled

Here is a link to a textbook from a molecular biology class. It is very indepth and technical.
http://www-micro.msb.le.ac.uk/3035/prions.html

Here is a less technical reference from our government.
http://cdmrp.army.mil/pubs/factsheets/nprpfactsheet.htm

·
Registered
309 Posts
hd, You don't have your story totally correct. The law states you can also bring back quarters with NO spine or brains attached.
What bothers me is if I get a nice bull in Co. do I have to de-brain the skull if I'd like to do a european mount?

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Chances are you bet ya you do. The main concentrations of the prion are in the brain and spinal column. You could be bringing in enough prions to infect every deer in the state by their reasoning.
Of course they have to somehow come in to contact with that nice trophy of yours. That is the laughable part of it. Didn't people walk around with flowers in their pockets to avoid getting the plague. That is about as sound as some of these stunning new policies. Long live the polititions and the better lives they bring us all. Where do we find these guys? Oh yeah Hollywood:p

·
Registered
477 Posts
Fxxx, the law says no brain matter on the skull plate. I'm guessing you'll have to do like the Egyptians did to their mummies. Get a wire and put it in the hole at the back of the skull where the spinal column goes in and liquefy the brain material then rinse out the brain cavity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We are just outside the CWD zone in wisconsin. The last I heard about how it may have gotten here is that mineral blocks were being used to strengthen the herd. Of couse these blocks are made up of deceased animals. Easy way to spread prion disease.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
That is exactly what I figured. It isn't a hunter issue it is a good old feeding issue. The issue of breeding to spread bad genes could be an issue too. Imagine that. deer feed and stump products from manufacturers. Sounds like the old mad cow to me.
Why are obvious sources overlooked in favor of banning things for butchers and taxidermists which will have no influence on its spread.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hope everyone realizes that there are human forms of these prions. Any mutation, be it spontaneous or induced, could cause a serious problem (namely human infection). I think these laws are good ideas. Until we are sure of the cause and affect we need to take every measure possible to stop the spread.

If this continues it could seriously affect deer populations. AGAIN.....WE DON'T KNOW HOW THIS IS SPREAD!!!!!

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Want to take measures to stop it. Don't eat any more deer period in case it mutates to infect humans. How many hamburgers sold in england during mad cow disease?
two stop all and I mean all ranching of wild game such as deer elk and exotics in the united states. In case no one knows it this disease is much more comon on game ranches than it is in the wild kind of makes you go HMMMMMM. Although those things are not at all palatable to anyone who hunts they would both do a thousand times more to protect humans and other deer from this disease than the law spoken of above. Just doing something to be doing it without any sound scientific evidence supporting it is as I said pockets full of poseys.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So are we to do nothing? We don't know what actually causes spongiform encephalitis (we only know that these prions are involved in the disease process) or how it spreads. So just bring diseases animal carcasses to other states?

What about greenhouse gases, depleting ozone, shrinking natural aquifers? All environment results from complex situations for which we have no "scientific solution". Again, are we to do nothing?

Here is the bottom line. These prions are very resistant to chemical destruction. Unlike other typical pathogens such as bacteria or virus, these structurally atypical proteins do not respond to historically usefull disinfectants. The transfers of these prions could be by many means : Humans not washing theirs hands well enough after handling infected game and cantral nervous system tissue being introduced into the envrionment. I won't go into the potential for viral mutation causing new forms of these diseases. All these factors cause great concern. So something must be done. Uncontrolled this could destroy a healthy and expanding deer population.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
They recently discovered that CWD can be passed from one deer to another if the deer ingests the brain tissue of an infected deer. I suppose that's the reason for the new law. As others have mentioned, deer aren't carnivorous, so that seems kinda silly to me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Deer Texas,

You are right. One means of disease transfer is by ingestion of brain material. This was first discovered in the 50's. The Kuru, a tribe in Africa, practiced a form a cannibalism as a religious ritual which caused a form of Creutzfeld-Jacob disease (I hope I spelled that right). Why deer are not carnivores they could ingest the disease causing protein from contaminated vegetation or feed.

Just think how fast this thing could get out of control.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts