Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Incureable tinkerer
Joined
·
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my practice targets was getting pretty ratty, after two years of taking hits arrows were sinking to fetches at times. Used canned insulating foam to bring em back to life. Inserted extended nozzle into holes in shot out areas and injected liquid foam until they filled. It expanded to fill the voids. Let it set for several days; good as new.-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,519 Posts
I tried ... that once with a Rhinehart vitals and it was a disaster. My317fps vertical was fusing the arrows in the stuff. I had to scrape molten foam off every arrow after nearly busting a gut getting them out. I've read of other guys successfully foaming their targets, but I had no luck with it. Maybe I had the wrong density foam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
I put an old blanket, folded in a fabric bag and put it in front of my target that was getting alot of use. It worked good. I'll probably use this system for as long as I shoot. Just take the target in when it rains. I fitted it with hooks and ropes to make removal easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,519 Posts
I put an old blanket, folded in a fabric bag and put it in front of my target that was getting alot of use. It worked good. I'll probably use this system for as long as I shoot. Just take the target in when it rains. I fitted it with hooks and ropes to make removal easy.
Before ... I sprung for new Rhinehart vitals I cut the 3" center section out that had the foam in it. I put a Morrell BEHIND the Rhinehart and just shot through the hole. LOL I used to practice every other day with both a 3 spot Vegas spot target and the Rhinehart. The spots to record score and see if I was improving or regressing over time ... and to be sure I didn't develop TP. (Target Panic) And about another 24 to 36 arrows into the Rhinehart. It was always about performance under pressure. I tried to build pressure into my practice sessions.
 

·
Incureable tinkerer
Joined
·
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried ... that once with a Rhinehart vitals and it was a disaster. My317fps vertical was fusing the arrows in the stuff. I had to scrape molten foam off every arrow after nearly busting a gut getting them out. I've read of other guys successfully foaming their targets, but I had no luck with it. Maybe I had the wrong density foam.
Could be you didn't let it cure long enough. When wet it's like reg Gorilla brand glue.
 

·
Incureable tinkerer
Joined
·
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put an old blanket, folded in a fabric bag and put it in front of my target that was getting alot of use. It worked good. I'll probably use this system for as long as I shoot. Just take the target in when it rains. I fitted it with hooks and ropes to make removal easy.
Mine stay out year around, rains sun or snow. Sun is hardest on the cover. I just slip a new rag bag cover from Third Hand Archery on em every three yrs or so. PS 60 yarder is a feed sack filled with plastic shopping bags.

2011_04_10_14_17_36_rs.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
I put an old blanket, folded in a fabric bag and put it in front of my target that was getting alot of use. It worked good. I'll probably use this system for as long as I shoot. Just take the target in when it rains. I fitted it with hooks and ropes to make removal easy.
I did the same thing and it worked fine for a while. Since then I found that a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet works even better.
 

·
Waiting for opening day
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
I used the foam on a beat up Block target. It allowed me to get another season out of it. But it was never as good as new. The foam is just not as tough as the original material.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top