Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Still pretty new to the forum, and archery in general. Recently picked up a used Bear Strike on the forum here. Well, a few nights ago, a buddy and I were target shooting in the backyard. I had shot about 6 arrows, then upon pickin' my bow up to go another round I noticed some cracking on the lower limb. Looking closer, a pretty good size chunk was peeling away.

It's kind of strange though. Its about 1/4" wide and has a flat end to it, and looks like its fiberglass. Underneath you can see the carbon limb, but it almost looks like a fiberglass wrapping around it with the camo that has somehow cracked and is peeling back. I immediately stopped and put the bow away. Waiting to take it up to cabella's (nearest bear dealer) to have them take a look at it.

I was mainly curious if anyone else had seen a similar failure. I'll try and post a pic later tonight as i'm sure that'd be helpful.

Also - curious if anyone has a spare set of limbs that would work on the bow, or could point me in the right direction on what i need to look for. I'm pretty sure Cabela's will be able to help me get it sorted out, but would be nice if i could find a set of limbs not brand new retail... this was a somehwhat "budget" purchase, and would be nice to not have to drop another 150-200$ after only having the bow for 2 months.

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
931 Posts
Contact bear customer service they may be able to help you out. They have done this before for people that arent the original owner. Worst they can say is no. Goodluck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So brought the bow into cabela's, hoping for a call back today on it. However while i was down there I realized that the Strike is the predecessor model to the encounter, and if you compare the limbs, they look almost identical. I'm gonna guess that it might be possible that the encounter limbs would be the replacement for my strike... but we'll see. They're going to contact Bear for me today and the whole scoop.

I"m still very confused on how the cracking even happened. 2 of the "know-it-all" type employees kept insisting that I dry fired it, because that's the ONLY way this could happen... but i've been so paranoid about it, that I've been incredibly careful not to... and when the crack actually happened, we were shooting in the backyard... my buddy was even confused. My only thought is that maybe it had been dry fired before I got it, and didn't fail at that point, but maybe just cracked under the surface, and it finally just went...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts