Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, been a minute since last i've posted but I've decided its time for a new bow. I currently own A 2011 Elite Pure I got from Ebay (the whole G5 Ebay scam deal). Been a great bow thats taken a few deer and prolly keep for a backup since not worth much.

I have always shot a 32" DL ( measured myself last night and come to 30.8 but been measured by a few different shops always to come in at 32") Heading to a local shop today to shoot a BT Mag X, PSE Evo NTN 33, Evo NXT 33 and maybe a Hoyt Axius Ultra. He can also order me a traverse but doesn't have one to shoot. This is why i felt I needed to ask advice. From everything I'm reading, couple utube vids comparing and such, the Traverse is hard to beat and has as good a price point as any. Would like some objective thoughts from those who have these or compared them. Bow will be used primarily for hunting...thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have experience shooting most of those models except for the PSE's at longer draw lengths. I have a 31.5-32" draw length depending on the bow.

Are you going to be able to shoot all models at your draw length or shorter settings? In my experience, bows at 28-29" draw lengths rarely if ever feel the same when you get them out to 31"- 32". It's been nearly impossible for me to shoot bows before I buy them at my correct draw length if they utilize a mod system. With that said, I think you are looking at a great range of models. In my opinion, for a bow used primarily for hunting at long draw, I think a 33"-34" axel to axel is nearly perfect. Short enough for stand hunting and string angle is usually manageable. From the above bow models you mentioned, most of them fit into that category. I have shot all but the PSE's.

BT Mag: I loved the BT Mag but it was a little to big and bulky for my taste. If 36" axel to axel fits your style it is definitely worth taking a hard look at. Designed for long draws. Awesome bow but just a bit to big for me when taking into account past experience in a whitetail stand.

Hoyt: The Hoyts are good bows. Great draw, string angle, etc. I owned at least one for the past 10 years up until last year. I would make sure you shoot them at the shop at your draw length because they do act and shoot different once you get past 31". Great bow and if I didn't travel to another shop to try the Traverse when I was buying a new bow, I would have walked out with the Hoyt.

Mathews: I own a Traverse and always will. My first Mathews. In my opinion, it is the best hunting bow I have ever used. Perfect combination of brace height, string angle, axel to axel, smooth draw, etc. Draw comes in a little long on mine and with 31.5" mods it's just under 32". String angle is damn near perfect. Draw weight is maxed out at around 74lbs and even at long draw/high draw weight it is extremely quiet and launches 530 grain arrows with very little hand shock. No hand shock doesn't seem possible at long draw/high weight combo. A lot of energy being thrown through that sucker. I think you would be cutting yourself short if you didn't give it a chance. I also have a VXR 31.5 I tried to fit myself into and it just isn't working out. Will be getting rid of it soon.

Either way, us long draw shooters finally have a few different models to choose from now a days. They are all great bows. My advice would be to take the time and travel to other shops if needed to shoot them at the draw you plan on using. Harder said than done. The children here with 28" draws have it made in that aspect. Hopefully this helps out.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,599 Posts
There is a reason not many bows are 32 inches......not many people need em. I'm not saying many people aren't shooting them......just they don't need them. How tall are you......really? Without the extra exaggerated inch or 2 people like to add?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts