Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the new Mathews bows such as the Reezen, Monster, etc. run a little long on the draw length?? I am asking this because I shoot a 28 inch draw on a Alphamax, but a 28 inch draw on the Monster feels just a touch long... Like I need to go to a 27.5! Am I right about this or is it just all in my head? Help! :confused:

·
Relocated Cajun
10,973 Posts
I under-rotate my Mathews cams b/c they tend to run a little long, and they seem to tune up a little better...

norb mullany tested the reezen and it came out to be 3/8" long, you could twist up the string, but then the timing marks would not be parallel...so he left it as is....

out of Hoyt, Bowtech and Mathews, Hoyt would run the shortest out of those three....

·
Registered
49,774 Posts
Do they run long=========== I don't think so. But depending on which bow----any bow can feel different in draw length. For example I can shoot a 27 to 28 inch draw DEPENDING on which bow I pick up. Each bow company has it's own feel and a true draw length for you can vary according to what bow your shooting. Bottom line pick the bow you want then set the draw length that is comfortable to you.:)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Put the bow in a draw board and measure it. My friends Reezen is a 27" dl and measures 28" dl on the draw board. He is a 28" dl that is why we ordered him a 27" dl. Most Matthews I have seen run long. Not bashing ... that is just what my buddy's Matthews are measuring.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I have a Monster and I 28.5" mods put on....I normally shoot 29". Also, I found out that if you crank the weight down on the Monster the draw increases quite a bit. I cranked it down two turns and the distance between the string stopper and the string grew almost 1/4".

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I have a Monster and I 28.5" mods put on....I normally shoot 29". Also, I found out that if you crank the weight down on the Monster the draw increases quite a bit. I cranked it down two turns and the distance between the string stopper and the string grew almost 1/4".
Its just the opposite. Maxed out, the DL is right on; as you back the Monster out, the DL increases. If you don't believe me, ask Crackers!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
You got that backwards my friend. With the pre loaded limbs as you back them off the brace height and draw changes same as on your x-forces. That is just a characteristic of those type of limbs systems.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I just got an Reezen 7.0 in 27.5 draw, I normally draw 27" even thought I measure out at 28 1/4". I like the shorter draw lenght due to hunting the cold weather with all the clothes on up here.

The 27.5" draw feels great to me. Still have alittle room to play.

Matt

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
You got that backwards my friend. With the pre loaded limbs as you back them off the brace height and draw changes same as on your x-forces. That is just a characteristic of those type of limbs systems.
i think he meant "down" as in lowering the pounds......he worded it different...but you are correct on the preloaded limbs...as you back it off the BH increases...

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
i think he meant "down" as in lowering the pounds......he worded it different...but you are correct on the preloaded limbs...as you back it off the BH increases...
Yep....crank down might not have been the correct choice of words. I meant crank down from max poundage to 65 lbs....crank down the weight...not the limb bolts. It may be that way with other bows but to be honest I've never had to lower the draw weight on a bow until I bought the Monster. I'm hoping to start shooting it at 65lbs and gradually work my way up to 70 lbs. It's not the weight itself that's the problem, it's the abrupt hump at the end of the draw that I need to get used to. At 65 lbs it's not as bad. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I was wondering if the new Mathews bows such as the Reezen, Monster, etc. run a little long on the draw length?? I am asking this because I shoot a 28 inch draw on a Alphamax, but a 28 inch draw on the Monster feels just a touch long... Like I need to go to a 27.5! Am I right about this or is it just all in my head? Help! :confused:

If you shoot a 28" draw on an Alphamax, you'll shoot a 28" draw on a Reezen or Monster as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I originally ordered my Monster the dealer said they ran 3/4 of an inch long and ordered my bow short to compensate. By the time my bow came in Mathews had changed the cam somewhat from the early production Monsters and the cams were much closer to true DL. The dealer was smart enough to have longer mods on hand so my bow was set up corectly.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Dont know about the Monster but with my DXT i shoot 27.5. When i had my AM32 it was 28draw.

·
Registered
49,774 Posts
Dont know about the Monster but with my DXT i shoot 27.5. When i had my AM32 it was 28draw.
Like I said each bow is different, find the one you like then set the draw length accordingly.:)

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
I hear from alot of mat/mission shooters, theyre solocam is longer draw than what they were shooting previously when ordering the same draw spec.

·
Registered
18,400 Posts
I measure the amo draw on all bows, or make sure they have modules so you can adjust! Measure the amo draw length and forget about what the sticker says plain and simple. The perfect draw length is crucial in maximizing your shooting ability. I have found most Mathews bows generally run longer than their stated draw length. AMO is the measurement from the string or nock groove of your arrow at full draw to the deepest part of the grip + 1.75".

·
Pick a spot, Don't punch
1,822 Posts
I had a reezen 29" on the draw board and it ran close to 1/2" over pulled to the stops.

Remember that factory draw length is measured to the center of the valley and not pulled hard into the stops.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts