Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Matthews Switchback XT. This bow will replace my old PSE for hunting next year, wlthough for this year it's too late and I will hunt with the PSE.

I plan to move my Tru-Glo 5 pin sight over to the Matthews, but I need some recommendations on some things:

The shop said witht he string dampers I don't need any string leeches or other silencers...is this true? Is there any harm to having them in addition to the dampers that are built in?

I want to install a drop-away rest. What works well on a Matthews Switchback XT? I'm not interested in any of the full-capture drop aways, as I don't like the stationary upper bar being a possible interference with the arrow. I want the rest to drop away FAST for this fast bow. I currently have a QuickTune.

I currently have a peep with three anchor points on the string, and would like to go the same route, without any tubing. Anyone have any trouble with this kind of setup on the Switchback? Anyone using a different peep?

Is anyone using any counterweights, such as the Doinker to balance out the fitted bow and decrease vibration? There's not much in the Switchback to begin with.

·
Lou & Jode
10,782 Posts
A friend of mine shoots an XT,it's quiet without any silencers on the string to slow you down.He uses a Trophy Taker drop away rest,a 10" A-bomb Doinker stabilizer,and a Meta peep with a loop-it's a great shooting bow.IMO you should shoot that bow with a loop because of the decreased angle of the string with that short ATA design.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
the SB XT is very quiet, and i dont see the need for extra silencers.
I mounted a STS on my SB XT and honestly didnt notidce any differense in either sound or vibrations.
i use a standrad trupeep and a trophyridge dropzone.
do you a loop on the string, ti´s a short ATA bow and the angle will be very steep.
I have a Doinker 10" with a weight to balance the bow, i found it a little topheavy without the stab.

·
Registered
50,366 Posts
All the extras are just icing on the cake to me. I've got the sims modular stabilizer(one weight on the front of the riser and the other 2 off the back side), limb savers and beaver balls on the string. I also use the Drop Zone drop away rest and love it. This bow shoots even sweeter than right off the shelf and is rock steady on the shot.:wink: :) :darkbeer:

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
JASpillane said:
I just bought a new Matthews Switchback XT. This bow will replace my old PSE for hunting next year, wlthough for this year it's too late and I will hunt with the PSE.

Why not use this bow this year! You could have it hunt ready in no time! Why take an old beast up in the tree, when you have this honey just waiting to stick some venny?? Don't short-change yourself...getter dun!

The shop said witht he string dampers I don't need any string leeches or other silencers...is this true? Is there any harm to having them in addition to the dampers that are built in?

Sounds like good advice to me! The bow bare is plenty quiet for hunting!!

Enjoy the XT...she rocks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
mathews does not recommend you add weight to the strings such as leaches and beaver balls also because it will eat up the string suppressors. i shoot mathews hd and had the nap with the ball on my old mathews bow. they work great and go with what works for you!

·
Registered
810 Posts
If the Switchback XT is set to exact spec and with the string tracking off the idler wheel straight at full draw--NOT at brace--you do NOT need anything on the string to silence it down. If you want to make it quieter than quiet or a deader feel than dead, try a single or double STS.

If you have any feeling in your hands, you will notice a definite difference in how the bow feels and sounds after the shot with an STS on it.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
On my XT I've added Sims limbsaver's, a Sims modular stabilizer with an extra module, a CHL STS (which I took off once, and noticed a difference is string noise) Copper John dead nuts sight, and a Trophy taker original drop away rest.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
On my XT ...

no leeches

no STS,

no noise,

no Problem. :thumb:

·
Registered
18,473 Posts
My XT is sweet. Dead in the hand, and quiet as they come. Have a STS on it and a custom Hydrapress grip. My only concern was my Mathews emblem on the lower limb wearing off from putting in my bow holder in the ground blind. Still does not hurt the performance thou.:)

·
Registered
841 Posts
sagecreek said:
On my XT ...

no leeches

no STS,

no noise,

no Problem. :thumb:
Same with my Switchback. I shoot a Schaffer rest, fit and finish are great on the SB, it looks like it was made along with the bow. If I swapped it would be to a Muzzy, Trophy Taker, or Drop Zone, in that order. I shoot a 1/4 inch peep that splite the string two ways. No tubing. You will have to adjust it a time or two, but once you get the string shot in it stays put.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No silencers on my XT. I do have an sts, but I am still undecided if I will leave it on.

I agree with the above post, the new Shaffer Mat-1 is an awesome rest. I love mine.

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
Shoot the Switchback here, same as everyone else, was told we didn't need additional silencers and have not seen the need to use them.

·
Registered
50,366 Posts
aitpointer2 said:
mathews does not recommend you add weight to the strings such as leaches and beaver balls also because it will eat up the string suppressors. i shoot mathews hd and had the nap with the ball on my old mathews bow. they work great and go with what works for you!
Don't where you heard that but it is a false statement:wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK...So far...

I installed a QuickTune drop away rest, and a G5 1/4" peep with no tubing. I have a string loop for the release, and it aligns the peep fine after some adjustment, every time. I popped my old three-pin sight on the bow as well. I have not bought the new arrows I'll need, and have not paper tuned the bow, but we did some basic tuning at the shop when we installed the rest. I had to drop the draw weight down to 60 pounds so I could repeatedly draw the bow back comfortably at this point. I don't know what my speed will be that way, but I killed my shoulder after 5 draws at 70 pounds. I'll work up to the 70 pounds by next fall, after having the summer to shoot.

I tried shooting with a stabilizer and without. I didn't notice a single thing as far as vibration went, or noise, so I opted not to buy the stabilizer last night. I did notice it was better balanced with the stabilizer, but if I put one on I want a very light one, as I want to keep the bow nice and light after shooting a 7-8 pound PSE for three years. We didn't add any string silencers either, as they really weren't needed after all.

When I get the arrows I'll be buying the same brand I use in my PSE -- Carbon Radial Weave with vanes. I was amazed how fast these arrows are compared to the aluminum I used to shoot. Can't wait to fire some through my Mathews. I use 100 grain broadheads, mechanical and fixed. I have to say I LOVE the new Crimson Raptors. I am hunting with them this year primarily. They are the only broadhead I've ever shot that spiraled into a deer target like they do, or shot straight through the plastic leg of the deer - in one side and out the other.

Am I missing anything? Oh, and no wrist sling for me...I've never used one and don't see the need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, and...

I'm going to use the detachable quiver from my PSe (Apline softlock 5 arrow) and I'm curious...what is an STS?

·
Registered
341 Posts
My notes in blue.

The shop said witht he string dampers I don't need any string leeches or other silencers...is this true? Is there any harm to having them in addition to the dampers that are built in? No harm by using leeches or whiskers. They will make an improvement.

I want to install a drop-away rest. What works well on a Matthews Switchback XT? I use the TT Shakey Hunter. Works great.

I currently have a peep with three anchor points on the string, and would like to go the same route, without any tubing. Anyone have any trouble with this kind of setup on the Switchback? Anyone using a different peep? No problems with my fletcher tru peep.

Is anyone using any counterweights, such as the Doinker to balance out the fitted bow and decrease vibration? There's not much in the Switchback to begin with. I don't use counter weights...don't need them.

I have an '05 Switchback and an '04 Outback both are great bows out of the box but you will find ways to tinker with them and make them quieter and perhaps a little more enjoyable.

·
Registered
446 Posts
JASpillane said:
............I had to drop the draw weight down to 60 pounds so I could repeatedly draw the bow back comfortably at this point. I don't know what my speed will be that way, but I killed my shoulder after 5 draws at 70 pounds. I'll work up to the 70 pounds by next fall.............When I get the arrows I'll be buying the same brand I use in my PSE............
Don't be too concerned with the 70lb thing, however keep your arrow selection in mind if you plan on up-ing your poundage. The main thing is not to be over or under splined. IMHO, the only thing different between 60lb and 70lb limbs is kinitic energy not speed. (properly tuned)

My XT is excellent, I think you'll enjoy yours. :cocktail:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts