Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

dugabob
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Glad to be here, have been bow hunting for about 35 years. Became interested when on a spring bear hunt in northern Maine. It was a long ride, and my new partner told me of the various aspects of bow hunting. I was a poor gun hunter who didn't really understand the whitetail. He made it sound so interesting, and I've discovered that it truely is a lifetime interest and adventure.

I'm currently 66 and still get out all I can. Starting with spring scouting, placing cameras to see how the herd is doing. By fall I have a good idea of what is available. I've only started using cameras seriously over the past 3 years. I was amazed at what I've learned just by placing cameras and seeing what the deer are doing. I like to start placement in locations where I find big tracks, as well as scrapes. I'm always shocked at how little sign big deer leave. The camera doesn't lie, often see multiple deer, but no visible sign on the ground, just how does a large animal do that. ?

I'm still hunting out of tree stands, but have been slowly learning how to hunt from a chair. At some point I may not be able to climb, so I want to still be able to bow hunt for as long as I can. I have 3 spots chosed for a chair stand this fall, depending upon the deer of course. I'm using a very short chair known to me as a turkey hunting chair. It sets only 3-4 inches up off of the ground. I find I can get a shot off from it without a problem from the ground and it keeps my profile very low. My bow is 35" A to A, I'm 6'-2", so it works. Finding a slight dip in the ground also helps to reduce my profile.

Looking forward to talking with you fellows about all of the aspects of whitetail hunting. I'm going to try turkey hunting this spring too,

Thanks for letting me join!

Bob

Registered
Welcome to the forum from Arizona.

Registered
Welcome to AT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts