Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have come across this forum in my quest to locate more information before purchasing my son a Bow for his 12th birthday. Which is at the end of this month.
My only experience with bows was during the 2years I spent in boy scouts as a child.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge with any lingo that may be used so please consider that in your response to the following questions.
If you could also point me to any forums where my questions have already been asked that works great too.
He is 5'11" 150lbs slender build, most folks confuse him for a 15 or 16 yr old.

What bow type is best for a child to learn on? (Recurve or compound) or maybe something else?
For my own knowledge what's the difference other than cost?
Because he is so tall does that play part in the selection process?
Is there anything that stands out as something I should consider that I haven't asked?

Thank you for whatever help you can provide.

Registered
Welcome. First of all. What are you feeding him? 5'11" at 12 years old. Wow! You have a different situation on your hands. I would say the best thing you could do is take him to a local pro shop and let him get a feel of each to see what he is comfortable with. He's obviously going to get taller and his draw length will increase as well so it is best to find something with an adjustable draw mod that goes to 31" at least.

Registered
Welcome to the forum from AZ.

THE BAR Bartender
Welcome!

Registered

Before purchasing a bow, you should know the suitable draw length and draw weight for your son.
To measure your draw length, determine the length of your arm-span in inches. Stand with your arms out and palms facing forward. Don鈥檛 stretch when measuring. Just stand naturally. Have someone else help you, and measure from the tip of one middle finger to the other. Then simply divide that number by 2.5. The quotient is your approximate draw length (in inches) for your body size.

Registered

1 - 10 of 10 Posts