Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just signed up. I take up archery every couple years and then quit when I get no better. I used to shoot an 1950s Ben Pearson 304, but now I have a better bow and I can already see much progress. I just found a nearly perfect 50# 1964 Bear Kodiak at a garage sale ($70) and am really excited about setting it up for hunting.

I got a new Flemish twist string, Dacron I presume. I've shot hundreds of arrows by now but it stretches all the time. I can't get a consistent brace height over a shooting period. Is this normal? Will the string eventually settle down or will it always be different between my 1st and 100th shot? I have heard that I should not use a light string on an old bow, but are there better strings out there in a standard weight?

I have the brace height at 7 3/4", but this seems low compared to modern recurves (from what I've read). I put several arrows through my rifle chrono and the shots were really consistent at this brace height. Above and below this height the bow showed more deviation. At 7 3/4" it shoots 175fps with my heavy-ish arrows.

I'm using Easton 2117 arrows, full length, with 125 gr tips. I calculated the weight at about 550 grains. Is there any sense in going lighter? I have a long draw and could cut maybe an inch off of them, but it hardly seems worth the effort. I was looking at 2215 arrows w/ 100 gr points as an alternative, but maybe I should just get used to what I've got?

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
Retro -

A properly made dacron string, even a flemish splice, should "settle down" after one shooting session. If it doesn't something is amiss.

A 7.75" brace height should be fine for that bow (your sweet spot can be anywhere between 7.5 and 8.5").

While a full length (34") 2117 might work from a 50# bow, it's not optimal. The "optimal" arrow will depend on your draw length. If your draw length will allow a 29" arrow, for example, a 1916 would be about right. (Most charts are WAY over spined.)

As long as the arrows don't leave the bow sideways, they are fine for now. Wait till your form and draw length settle, before you start changing things.

BTW - 50# is a little high or a new or retuning shooter, regardless of how you "think" it feels.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put over 200 arrows through the bow in my first session, since then at least another 600. I have a 35 yd range in my back yard, so I shoot regularly. Something must be amiss because the brace height changes by .5" over the course of a day.

I thought my arrows were full length because the archery shop didn't cut them, but I'm wrong. I just measured them, the shaft measures 31". From the end of the nock to the point they are 32.75" overall. The shop measured my draw length at 30.5", so I'm assuming this is about right (or they are lazy).

I weighed my arrows on my powder scale and they are 433gr + 125gr tip = 558 gr.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
retrosub, You want to get better? Get Viper's book 'Shooting the Stickbow' (17.95 from Amazon) and a low draw weight (30# or less) cheap recurve and some matched arrows. If you do what is outlined in the book, take your time with the light drawing bow you will be amazed a how well you will be able to shoot in several months.

·
Registered
576 Posts
First off congrats on finding that bow. It's worth about $450.

The string is still settling, just keep an eye on the BH.

You should have someone measure your draw length. My guess is that those arrows are too stiff...and IMO are too heavy. 1916s or 2016s might be a better choice.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
Retro -

If the string ALWAYS lengthens by .5" and shrinks when unstrung, you might be able to fix the problem by waxing and burnishing in the wax with a piece of leather or cloth. If it just keeps getting longer, then the braids might be slipping and that's not a good sign.

Right now, your draw length might be changing, so keeping your arrow long isn't a bad idea. Assuming the shop used a draw check arrow and not a "chart" to determine your dl, you have a working number to play with.

Yeah, a 50# bow drawn to 30.5" will be over 55#. Sorry, you're really stacking the deck against yourself.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have both 1916 and 2016 arrows I shoot out of my older Ben Pearson 45# and my buddies 39# Cougar. I tried both arrows in the Bear Kodiak and they are like spaghetti coming off the bow. The Bear pulls 54# at my draw length according to my fishing scale. I shoot much better with it than either the 39# or 45# bows I have here.

Viper, yes they used a marked arrow to check my draw. As for stacking the deck, well, I couldn't pass up on this bow for $70, it is what it is. I just have to learn to shoot it well.

Oh, and I'm ordering the stickbow book, thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
The shop measured my draw length at 30.5", so I'm assuming this is about right (or they are lazy).
Whoops I missed that tidbit before. You may indeed be in the ballpark with those arrows.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
That's an awesome buy, by all means keep that bow! You should now keep your eyes open for a low draw weight bow for form and practice. Something in the 25-30# range at your draw length will be very helpful (and fun).

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
All good advice above.. you can't go wrong with Viper's book. Best archery money you can spend.

Other then that... Welcome to AT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts