Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a few other threads on this but they are older. I'm feeling kind of lucky, it was my first time applying in New Mexico and was able to draw the tag. Once in a lifetime for me. I really am having a hard time deciding if I want to hire a guide .....as I have never done this and always DIY my own hunts. With that said never setting foot in this area has me wondering if it worth the money or not?

If you have any advice I would appreciate it, If you send me a PM to keep your info off the thread I would respect that 100%.

Im set up with a camper if needed, I have a Wall Tent, Atv, Spike Camp. My Elk calling is average if not a bit above. I have my little brother who is also going to help with calling on this hunt.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I drew that tag 20 years ago. My outfitter was a disaster. But I don't think you will have any problems finding elk. They were everywhere. I personally wasn't impressed with how NM handled the tag allocations. They had cow tag archers on the same hunt. There are so many elk in the unit, those cow tag archers were being real aggressive and didn't seem to care if the blew the herd into the next canyon. Made keeping tabs on bulls from day to day a real problem. However, if you can get away from that rat race, it should be real good hunting. I unfortunately had an incompetent guide that didn't know any more about elk hunting than I did. Neither of us had ever killed an elk, neither of us had ever been in the Gila, and neither of us had ever guided an elk hunt. Needless to say, it was a disaster thru and thru. I certainly would have been better off to go it alone and sit water holes. Probably could have killed a bull sitting water. Had an opportunity at a couple bulls like that, but they weren't big enough for a guided hunt on that tag IMO.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drew that tag 20 years ago. My outfitter was a disaster. But I don't think you will have any problems finding elk. They were everywhere. I personally wasn't impressed with how NM handled the tag allocations. They had cow tag archers on the same hunt. There are so many elk in the unit, those cow tag archers were being real aggressive and didn't seem to care if the blew the herd into the next canyon. Made keeping tabs on bulls from day to day a real problem. However, if you can get away from that rat race, it should be real good hunting. I unfortunately had an incompetent guide that didn't know any more about elk hunting than I did. Neither of us had ever killed an elk, neither of us had ever been in the Gila, and neither of us had ever guided an elk hunt. Needless to say, it was a disaster thru and thru. I certainly would have been better off to go it alone and sit water holes. Probably could have killed a bull sitting water. Had an opportunity at a couple bulls like that, but they weren't big enough for a guided hunt on that tag IMO.

I have learned a few things. The total number of tags for this season is 250. I hope that is the true number? Its hot and not alot of water so spiking in will be tuff. If I go with a guide service I need to make that decision fast cause the good ones are going to be booked up sooner than later.

Sorry you had a bad experience and thanks for positng

·
Registered
26 Posts
Consider the amount of time you can put in scouting. The past two years we've had success in 2 different NM units going it alone but I attribute that to familiarizing with the area and scouting.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,273 Posts
Drew 16A...bummer, that tag will wreck you for Co OTC units....grin

My advice...find Sonny Tapia.....

______

·
can I shoot it?
16,893 Posts
I drew the same tag this year. I have a few threads on here chronicling the gear I am taking and the training I am doing. What an awesome unit 16A is!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts