• No - But I personally wouldnt take it

Votes: 24 21.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This poll has proved rather amusing so I figured can'twait couldn't wait for it, so here it is.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh boy, the votes are racking up and we've got some close running! This might be better than a Horse Race!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I'm pretty adamant on my own ethics in this regard...but that is all I am going to say. I gave up on the other thread, I said my peace as I am here.

Based on my ethics I would never take a neck shot at any animal with a bow, nor do I think anyone else should...again per my ethics. Note that because I THINK no one else should take this shot does not mean I am saying YOU CAN'T. Obviously it is a legal shot, and you have a right to take such a shot.

If you choose to do so, that is entirely up to you...as you are the only one that has to respect your own decisions...but you certainly won't gain mine as a hunter, nor as a conservationist for taking a neck shot with a bow.

Again, I think we owe it to the animals we hunt and to ourselves to only take high percentage lethal shots. I don't NEED to take an animal that bad to take a neck shot with a bow, regardless of distance. Maybe some of you do?!?! There will be plenty of opportunities in the future that will offer better shots.

I mentioned on another thread that I am still in pursuit of my first P&Y, and after 6+ years with that goal and still no P&Y...these type of shots still do not "appeal" to me. I've had shots at P&Y bucks, neck shots included, and I just was not confident in the angle and/or shot...so I passed. Imagine how much discipline that takes and to go as long as I have and put as much time as I have into the pursuit...to respect the animal that much to let it go in hopes of another shot, another time....and to not have the shot or time come (yet). And still, I maintain that discipline and will wait for a shot I am confident in and consider to be a high percentage, lethal shot. Hopefully, some day it will come...and until then I value my time afield despite the frustration and hard work! :)

We all have different ethics and different goals when it comes to hunting. I am not trying to disrespect or devalue anyone else's ethics and/or goals in hunting, the above is entirely my opinion and reflects how I was brought up as a hunter and conservationist. It's the path I've chosen to follow when it comes to hunting, and although I'd like others to follow the same path, I also realize it is not the only one. Ultimately in respect to all forms of hunting, do as you so please, as long as you are following the laws...that is the most important part. (all IMO)

Good Hunting All, Shoot Straight and Short BloodTrails! :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
BowhunterNJ, I agree with all you said and I wish more people felt the way we do. Recently we found a large racked 10 point and I wish the SOB that but an arrow in it would have aimed at the neck, but no, this moron shot this deer right up the butt. Talk about an unethical shot. Then to boot the deer passed away in the back yard of our neighbor. This is why bow hunters get a bad rap because of sh--t like this.:mad:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Obviously, everyone has to evaluate their own shooting skills and from there be able to clearly judge a good shot from a marginal one. Here again....the "good shot/ marginal shot" could be broadly discussed and defined, by many. :rolleyes:

The only way I would even consider a neck shot would be if the deer was close (inside 20 yards), and unsuspecting of my presence and facing me. At that point I feel a shot just below the white throat patch would be lethal, as there is a wind pipe, major arteries on either side of it and the spine in the middle. However, I was hunting on the ground one year, was faced with this situation and I passed on the shot.

Even with the previous scenario layed out anything could go wrong after the shot has been made and we all know the arrow can't be recalled once it's been released.

To this day I wonder if I'd taken the shot if I'd lived to regret it. Just the same, I didn't and I feel the best thing was done in that hunting situation. :cool:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
545 Posts
BowhunterNJ

That is my way of thought exactly. Even the part about the P&Y. I to am still looking for one. If a P&Y buck, or for that matter any buck offers me a shot this season and it happens to be a neck shot I still won't take it. If some of you guys want to hunt like that then by all means go for it. This is still America and you have rights. I am going to use my right and disagree with you for taking it.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
As with BowhunterNJ, thank you MQ1 & Bowhunter57 for reconizing that others have rights. It would be much simpler if everyone would just see that hunting is all about personal choice.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
MQ1 and bowhunter57

Thank you....I don't know that I would take that shot....I have never b een faced with it....but I might!!!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I will say I chose the last response on the poll. I wouldn't take it again because of my skill/confidence level as a bowhunter at this point. That may change with more experience or it may not but I won't tell someone that has the skill they are unethical for taking that kind of shot.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have and will again take a neck shot!

Looks like a close poll!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
TexHunter said:
I will say I chose the last response on the poll. I wouldn't take it again because of my skill/confidence level as a bowhunter at this point. That may change with more experience or it may not but I won't tell someone that has the skill they are unethical for taking that kind of shot.
That's what it is all about; you have to make your own choices and live with the outcome.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
MKD said:
BowhunterNJ, I agree with all you said and I wish more people felt the way we do. Recently we found a large racked 10 point and I wish the SOB that but an arrow in it would have aimed at the neck, but no, this moron shot this deer right up the butt. Talk about an unethical shot. Then to boot the deer passed away in the back yard of our neighbor. This is why bow hunters get a bad rap because of sh--t like this.:mad:
I disagree.

Anti hunters are giving us a bad wrap. The others that give bowhunters a bad wrap are those that believe that 2 weeks of practice before the season starts is enough to make them sufficient predators.

Neck shots and rump shots have proven to kill animals. They may not be the most ethical shot for people. I myself may not take that shot personally. But it can and will kill a deer.
Dylan

1 - 20 of 55 Posts