Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
i see no reason to change from my non swarovision el 8.5x42, they have some age on them, but are still all i need.
my wife has some newer leica ultravid hd's, but i still prefer my el's to those.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
i see no reason to change from my non swarovision el 8.5x42, they have some age on them, but are still all i need.
my wife has some newer leica ultravid hd's, but i still prefer my el's to those.
the 8.5x42 EL (I have the swarovision version with the normal strap loops, not the proprietary knobs they have now) is about the perfect all around Binocular set. I have struggled to buy anything else since I got mine. maybe one day I'll get some 12 or 15x56 but not for a while.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
the 8.5x42 EL (I have the swarovision version with the normal strap loops, not the proprietary knobs they have now) is about the perfect all around Binocular set. I have struggled to buy anything else since I got mine. maybe one day I'll get some 12 or 15x56 but not for a while.
Those are literally the best field glasses that you can buy, in my opinion. Friend of mine scored some for $950. Brought a tear of jealousy to my eye.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Those are literally the best field glasses that you can buy, in my opinion. Friend of mine scored some for $950. Brought a tear of jealousy to my eye.

i have seen the non swaro version ones go in the $700 range. i remember when they came out i thought about selling my el's for some, but i talked to rep and he said that they were about 2%-3% brighter than the non swaro ones like i have.
it was just not worth it to me to change.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
it looks like there are several typos in their add.
usually a 8x has more field of view than a 10x, and a 10x should have more than a 12x if it is a 42 also.
their add says the 10x has more than the 8x, then states the number and it is less than the 8x.
field of view stated below 8x42 159 meters, 10x42 112 meters, 12x42 130 meters.
something seems off to me.

per their add:
The 8×42 NL Pure field of view is 159 metres at 1,000 metres. The 10×42 offers 20% more field of view that the Swarovski EL 8×42. And, for the first time, Swarovski is offering a 12×42, an NL Pure that has a field of view with 130 metres at 1,000 metres that beats the EL 10×42’s 112 metres at 1,000 metres.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
They probably mean the new 10x have a better FOV than the EL’s 8x...

Lost in translation I guess.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

I got lucky on a new old stock pair at about a 20% discount... definitely not $950 though...

I was able to go outside and mess with about 12 different pair looking at cars in the shade at about 80 yards all the way out to power towers at 1100 yards. This pair was by far the brightest and clearest of all the ones they had in stock. Even the 10x50 models...

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
They probably mean the new 10x have a better FOV than the EL’s 8x...

Lost in translation I guess.
according to the data they posted for field of view that is not the case, they say it is then the numbers don't support it.

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the best reviews....go to the birding forums....those dudes are serious about their glass!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I bought a new swarovision EL 10x42 two years ago. This binos are better the everything else out there (@ 10x42). I don´t think, that the new NL would be that much better than EL that the extra cost for a new pair would be that worth...

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I have talked to 3 different experts here in the Phoenix area and all state that the NL is every bit as good as the EL's and even......wait for it....BETTER!

The FOV is clear and 20 percent larger, lighter weight, and better ergonomically in hand, has a removeable forehead rest... AND can be drilled and tapped for an Outdoorsman stud for tripod attachment.....

I am ordering the 12X42's tomorrow.....bye bye to my 12X50 EL's.:mg:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts