Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started set up on a Polaris today. 66" bow 24# at 28" marked (26# at 30" measured). Tried the new
string that came with the bow, even though I had to redo the center serve to fit the 600s I have.
Shot the bow with the re-served string (62 3/4" long) given with a Brace Height (BH) of 7 7/16".
Not happy with the stock string after shooting un-tuned arrows, so decided to make a new B50 string.

Room Chair Table Metal

Went 12 strand and as I have not dacron serving used spectra. Went .019 Halo for the loops.
Then switched to .014 Halo. New string gave a BH of 7 15/16" after shooting a few ends. Shooting
the same un-tuned arrows the bow shot better.

Room Technology Table Furniture Electronics

Rim Architecture Automotive exterior Fender Bumper

Ordered 700s with the bow and they would not fit the re-served given string. The 12 strand
with .014 Halo for center serving still required the nocks on the new 700s to be filed lightly.
The nocks had a pair of small chevrons inside each nock tang, so removed the chevrons, then went
20 more small/fine file strokes to get a good nock to string fit. The un-tuned 700s (only got
three fletched) shot good enough. This rig may be going to someone with a 24" pull and although
lighter spline arrows may be better, I want to try the 600s and 700s first. When I pulled so my
wrist anchored on my chin (approx. 24") the 700s flew good enough.

I really like this bow. Used a large Velco shelf and side plate. When you consider it is just
over 100 bucks it is impressive. Got the bow shooting decent with a un-tuned rigging. Looking
forward to getting this rig dialed in.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Excellent. You are right ... that bow is a bargain that does boggle the mind at just over one hundred dollars. I concur that lighter-spined arrows may be useful, though if the bow is for a beginner, the arrows on hand are certainly not a deal-breaker to get started with.

I'm sure the recipient of your time-consuming setup work will have lots of fun.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Those Polaris are good shooters. I think they're good lookin bows too.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the comments guys. It is always fun to set up a new rig. This one sat for a while due to the string to nock fit. When I finally got around to start set up it was a good time.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Although it's not "FF Compatible" we've been running HPME strings on a few lower-powered Polaris limb sets, doing just fine.
With a 24" DL I'd be looking at around a 1500 spine or so.

-Grant

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx guys. Will try a 12 strand D-75 with the two tone loops and pull 24" to see how the rig shoots. Nocks may end up a little loose, so may need to go .015 center serving

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Musical instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument Guitar

Have three strings for this bow now:

Stock string (Large stretchy rope that nocks are not close to fitting). 62 3/4" for a 7 7/16" Brace Height (BH).
B50 string (12 strand and the nocks fit). 62 1/2+ with no twists and running a 8 1/8" BH (with ? twists).
D75 string (12 strand and the nocks fit). 62 3/8- with no twists and running a 8 1/8" BH (with approx. 13 twists).

Eyewear Automotive exterior Material property Bumper Glasses

The stock string I have not shot.
The B50 shoots the Carbon Express Preditor II 700s with a 200g tip ok from 12 yards pulling 30" and the same arrow corkscrews pulling 24" from 8 yards.
The D75 shoots the Carbon Express Preditor II 700s with a 200g tip corkscrewing from 12 yards pulling 30" and the same arrow shoots ok pulling 24" from 8 yards.

So it will be the D75 string pulling 24" that is a keeper. Next need to get some bare shaft testing goin' on. Thus need to buy two bare shafts.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 30# Samick Journey limbs for my Polaris rig showed up today. They are looking real good and produce a 68" shelf shooter. Limbs look straight enough. The limb nocks may benefit form a little work. Will make a 12 strand D-75 string perhaps 1/8" longer than the one I whipped up after a long break from string making. Although after sitting strung and then shooting the string length may end up perfect? I think I made the string 64 5/8+"...not sure. And can not believe I forgot to write down the string length.

Furniture Table Room Chair Property

31#s at 30" draw
Brace Height: 8 5/16-"
Nock Point: 7/16"

Chair Furniture Room Tree Table

Have yet to check tiller...although I think I will shoot the bow a bit first.

This will be another "non camo crowd" bow. The 27#s on the fingers, at 30"s, (of the 24# stock Polaris limbs) and the BOING of the B50 will have to wait for later.
Very happy with the limbs (both sets) and looking forward to shooting the bow soon.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yea...two other things. I wanted to keep the load on this inexpensive low cost wood riser in the low 30s so as not to over load (shock load does interesting things) the design. And I may try twisting the next string the other way to see if it solves the small issue of possibly slightly offset limb nocks? Need to give these both closer inspection.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shot the bow today with a 8 strand D-75 string (I forgot to go around the double-post end of the jig and thus lost 4 strands...opps) and thick center serving to get a good nock fit. Used Vforce 600s with 100g tips and it appears they show just weak. More testing/shooting tomorrow. Really like this 68" shelf shooter. The Brace Height ended up at 8 1/16" after sitting strung 24 hours and shooting several ends of 7 fletched and 2 bare shafts. Bow is very loud and I think a higher BH is next. Adding 6 twists got it up to 8 1/4". More like 8 1/2" may be correct?

First end ever at 12 yards:

Wood

Second:

Fictional character Family car Longboard

And Third:

Archery Parakeet Parrot Budgie Fictional character

The standing arrow is a center target bounce out. I will try 500 spine arrows and heaver tips soon as well.

So $135 for the limbs and riser. Great backyard plinking rig. Much fun.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Wse,

Glad you're liking the bow.

600's on a 30# bow should be fairly stiff. I'd think that your bow would be more mated down within the .900-ish spine family. You can get false weak readings on an overly stiff arrow. Plus, as you increase the point weight to weaken the spine, you end up slowing the arrow down for the aiming processes. Thirty pounds with the right arrow can spit that sucker downrange 'bout like the big boys.

Nothing wrong with trying the .500's if you already got some ready to go. But if you become dissatisfied, you might want to swing down weaker later on and see if a more bendy shaft with a light point floats yer boat.

After you've got your brace height set, if you're still getting noise (and I'm guessing you will - I've got several Polaris bows, and I think that lighter draw weight recurve limbs are prone to a slapping, plate-like sound) you can make a pair of yarn silencers to stick between the string bundles top and bottom. This was all I needed to do to mine to get them reasonably quiet.

Have fun.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thin man, thanx for your comments. I think you are right about the slapping noise. The Polaris and its derivatives are nice bows...especially for the money. Just need to avoid overloading the riser and yanking the inserts, etc. ;-) I am happy with the performance at 30#s on the fingers.

I got curious and just checked the 3rivers "Spine Selection Charts". It specs a recurve with a low stretch string (add 5#s for low stretch string) that pulls 32-36#s at my 30" pull, tables out to a 500 spine arrow with a 100g tip. Another AT member mentioned that Victory 600s sometimes seem a little stiff for a 600 and this is what I have observed. As it is only a 8 strand D-75 string these 600s are getting launched. I use these same arrows with my left hand 66" recurve, with a 12 strand D-75 string, sporting low end carbon foam limbs that scale out to 32#s at 30"s. Soon I will try lighter points on the 600 until I get a stiff reading. Always interesting to tune a new rig.

So I am quite impressed with the Journey limbs that scale out to 31#s at 30". I think the longer riser and shorter limbs might have some thing to due with this bows performance. It probably is mainly the very light 8 strand string (sans nocking points). Also the very low Brace Height gives a still longer power stroke? It kinda sounds like my 70" Horizon when I shoot well tuned yet light arrows...noisy!

I was going to start the 500s out at 145g tips and go from there. I would guess that the 600s will shoot better tomorrow with 75-85g tips. The cool thing is that the "angle on" POA of the 30# Polaris at 12 yards is similar to the sight picture of my 40# bow at 20 yards...I think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have a polaris :) My first and only bow and I am a noob in every aspect. I would like to ask a noobish question and I am sorry if I am out of line with this, but, what kind of paint did you use to camo the limbs? I would love something like that.

/Mark

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These make a very rough camo paint job possible. Sometimes I sand with 220 or 400 after it dries real good. If the limbs are black I just cover the Marketing Hype and sand the black tips with 400 to remove the gloss. Purchased at an Ace Hardware store. Not sure if there are Ace Hardware stores in Sweden. ;-)

Cosmetics Material property

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Started today with 600/100 and 500/175. The rough tune appears to be 600/85 and 500/225. Brace Height at 8 1/16...again. Took 12 twists to get it back up to 8 1/4". The Polaris still sounds like my 70" Hoyt Horizon with the 600s, perhaps that rig needs a lot more tuning also? With the 500s (heavy whipping on the fletching) and the 225s the bow is better and quiet. The heavy arrows really lumber on over to the target though...kid of fun to watch.

Today's end 1 with the incorrect tune (600s upper and 500s lower):

Tree Art

And last end with the Rough Tune:

Green Art Furniture Chair Compact car

All arrow shafts to be left Full Length (I need these arrows to work with other bows, ya know). Now to work the Brace Height in. Then a 12 strand D-75 string and re-tune. Was just curious about the 8 strander. Notice that the "stooping crow's" stance is not so good. ;-)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
scout4, I am really happy with this bow with long light weight limbs. Surely a good deal.

Nice thing is that, with the heavy arrows, my POA (12 yards) does not appear to be that different than the 40# bow, with light arrows, I plan to use for 300s (20 yards).

For recurves the Sage/Journey/Polaris line would make a good One Design Class. For longbows an Omega Imperial would make a good One Design Class.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts