Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes another out of the box invention! A simple delay device to allow a drop rest to stay up longer without effecting cam timing or excessive pressure on down bus cable. For use with vanes or FOBs.

Problem:

Over the years as bow speeds have increased we have noticed rest timing is more critical but the thought process may be back wards (IMHO). If the rest drops to quickly, the front of the arrow dips before the arrow leaves the bow. The FOB is very sensitive to initial arrow position and I have learned over the years one reason some folks say the FOBs are dropping out compared to vanes is that the rest is dropping to quickly (assuming no rest contact and broadhead tuning performed). While many other folks using FOBs were hitting as flat or flatter so a solution was needed. I have also been hearing a lot of folks shooting vanes here out west and longer ranges are going back to biscuit style rest because they are getting less drop out passed 40+ yards. (higher speed bows).

In my humble opinion I think problems with arrow drop out and rest contact (vanes or FOBs) with higher speed bows is the rest is dropping to quick causing excessive arrow drop at launch and/or bounce up issues. A vane is not as sensitive to initial arrow position which is why this effect is more pronounced with FOBs.

The problem is that if you try and keep a rest up more than a few inches, the end result is excessive pressure on your down bus cable. Imagine how out of what your cam time would be if your rest was in the full up 4-5 inches before full draw :eek:

Long story short, I have been working with my good friend Kenny Parson from Bowtuningtips on the idea. I explained the problem with Kenny and he also found that when the rest stays up longer, the arrow performance is greatly improved.

Kenny and I figured out how to make a simple add on rest delay that will work on just about any drop rest out there using a pull cord. (Limb Drivers, Whammy and Mathews downforce excluded). Very simple....Take the slack out of the cord and allow the rest to be held up with an elastomeric piece greatly reducing downcable bus pressure. The design had to be fail safe and easy to install. Because we both have companies, we figured it would be best to start a separate Rest Rocket division within both StarrFlight and Bowtuningtips.

The test:

We both shoot the same basic bows and the same rest (Ripcord). The rest set to recommended specs (full up position 1-2 inches before full draw)

Without Rest Rocket......Bulls eye 20, 30 etc....yards

With Rest Rocket.......Average of about 3-5 inches higher across the board indicating a flatter launch. Same thing with vanes. Some bow/rest combinations did not as much trajectory improvement but did show improved grouping past 40 yards.

So....In a nut shell......It will allow any rest to operate similar in concept as a limbdriver type rest which the arrow rest stays up much longer than a convention rest and acts like a lizard tongue until the rest drops helping with spine deflection.

Here is what it looks like:

Electrical wiring Wire Auto part Technology Cable

Compound bow Archery Technology Bow and arrow Bow

We are just starting up and this is the Gen one Rest Rocket. We have NOT tested on all bow/rest combinations so Kenny and I thought it would be best to start slow with a post on AT. You Guys/Gals will be our testers and be sure and give feedback.

Recommended set up:

Check current set up: Your rest should be at the full up position about 1-2 inches before full draw.
Install Rest Rocket and adjust length of tube and spread of nock set to get 3.5-4.5 inches of travel before the rest starts to drop. This should be measured from full draw, SLOWLY let down until the rest starts to move, then draw back again to see you are in the 3.5 to 4.5 ball park. Testing indicates that anything over about 4 inches is not needed.

And here is how to get it and a video So far we have tested to speeds above 320 fps and the following rests: Ripcord, Mathews convertible II, Limbsaver, Trophy Taker, and G5. Kenny and I will be testing other rests soon and we will be sure to test drive any rest we can with the Rest Rocket. So far the Rest Rocket is NOT for use with NAP Sizzor, or Tri-Vane rest.

www.rest-rocket.com ($9.95 + $2.95 Shipping.) You will receive the same customer service StarrFlight and Bowtuningtips.com has provided in the past. We stand behind what we are doing and are always here to help.

·
Vendor
84,996 Posts
How does it work for the Limbdriver ? is it the same ?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
U's a smart man Paul. Great idea. I may have to try one of these.
Thanks! But I could not have done it without Kenny Parson. He made this happen and perfected the design.

How does it work for the Limbdriver ? is it the same ?
(Limb Drivers, Whammy and Mathews downforce excluded). These rests operate in a different manner and have the delay incorporated in the design.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For you guys/gals with dual cams, you can back the rest to come up just the last 3/4-1 inch (adjust without Rest Rocket), reduce the rest cable pull to almost nothing on the down bus cable and still get a full 4 inches with Rest Rocket installed.

I would NOT recommend less than 3/4 inch. Just in case worse case happens.....The Rest Rocket breaks (Not-likely) and you are holding back on a critter so long you "creep" enough to have the rest move, changing the point of impact. I always like having a little "creep" room in my set up. But reducing pressure on the down bus cable is a very good thing on dual cam bows as well as single cams.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Question. How does it "close the gap" on your pins? (longer the arrow set's on the rest is better and makes speed faster?)

By having it "delay" the fall away, this is good, how?

Does it prevent bounce back somehow?

Sorry I'm just :confused: I watched the video also.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
:doh: :confused: It just clicked :grin: I understand how it works now!! The rubber stretches during draw back, when the arrow is released the momentum has to wait until it catches up to the front of the rubber and then it pulls the back of the rubber causing a delay in the drop which adds to accuracy!

Great idea guys!! :thumbs_up:darkbeer:

But "if" for some reason it breaks then the rest still functions properly, correct?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:doh: :confused: It just clicked :grin: I understand how it works now!! The rubber stretches during draw back, when the arrow is released the momentum has to wait until it catches up to the front of the rubber and then it pulls the back of the rubber causing a delay in the drop which adds to accuracy!

Great idea guys!! :thumbs_up:darkbeer:

But "if" for some reason it breaks then the rest still functions properly, correct?
Fail safe for sure. If it breaks, the rest pull cord is still attached.

I would say it is the same basics of the spring that pse supplies in the Phantom drop away. or am I wrong?
Yep...Same basic concept although ours is fail safe, easy add on and looks cool :cool:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks!

Keep the innovations coming. I just ordered one. I'm converting a few more people over to FOBs also Paul. It is pretty easy to convince them once they shoot them. I expect the rocket rest will be the same.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.