Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planning on making a new product that is being used in other industries but nothing has been developed/introduced and sold for production into the hunting world. I would class it as an accessory much like a bowhanger or stabilizer. No real special tools to make this product but just the selection of materials. Once I submit this product to the world anyone could propably reproduce it with some effort.

Say for example, you thought of the idea for the "Summit" treestand foot Sterrups. Wedding sterrups have been around for years but the new Summit sterrups for climbers really revolutionized the accessory and the ease of climbing. Would you get a patent and sell them yourself or sell the idea to Summit.?

I am not trying to become wealthy off this venture but just trying to introduce a new product that would definetly help alot of people out.

So my question to you is would you think I would need to get a patent?:darkbeer:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have been through this several times and it it not an easy process. Your patent submission has to be presented for evaluation following a very strict series of guidlines and dimensional drawings. One mistake and it will be thrown out. Also this process costs money. If you really think you have something hire an expert in Patent application. If you talk to anybody reguarding your ideas you will have to have them sign a confidentiality agreement to keep your idea from being stolen. Remember also your idea has to meet a certain percentage of non-compete attributes as compared to like products. And last of all....if it can be "copied" overseas your patents will not protect you from imitations (Knock-offs). Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Have you looked into the patenting process at all yet? is this an original idea or an improvement on another product?. If it is an original idea then you need to state what it is and it function. Name all the parts that go to it and how it is assembled. You will need to give a very explicit description of said items functions and what it is used for. Then once that is done then you will submit it for a Utility patent, that is patenting the idea of said item. Then it will be looked at to see if there are any other petents out there for it. If there are none then the patenting process will begin. It is really a quite pain in the rump, I am currenlty filed for a Utility patent myself. Waiting on the return info. Good Luck, hope this helps you out. When I learn more about what happens next I will let you know.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you looked into the patenting process at all yet? is this an original idea or an improvement on another product?. If it is an original idea then you need to state what it is and it function. Name all the parts that go to it and how it is assembled. You will need to give a very explicit description of said items functions and what it is used for. Then once that is done then you will submit it for a Utility patent, that is patenting the idea of said item. Then it will be looked at to see if there are any other petents out there for it. If there are none then the patenting process will begin. It is really a quite pain in the rump, I am currenlty filed for a Utility patent myself. Waiting on the return info. Good Luck, hope this helps you out. When I learn more about what happens next I will let you know.
I did not even look into the patent process yet. My idea is simple but effective. It is used in other industries but with some modifications it can be used in the hunting world. There was never a need for it before because hunting strategies are diffent now from back then. As new products surfaced in the market this tool would become useful with today's technolgy.

Here is a perfect example: Cam cleats were around forever they were used mostly on boats to hold ropes using a cam action. Muddy came out with their climbing sticks and have the cam cleat on them to lock down the tie rope that holds the stick to the tree. This is an example of bringing over an existing product over from one application to another.

I will read up more on patents as I put the final touches on the final product.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
When I do expert-witness patent/infringement work, I use google patent search

http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en

You can find out if anyone has a patent on your idea or something similar - but for free and in the privacy of your own home.

Ray

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If I were you, I would submit your idea to an existing hunting related manufacturer because patenting is a long and expensive process. First, get them to sign a nondisclosure agreement so they can't take your idea. Then submit your idea and if is worth pursuing, they will take care of the patent costs. You will receive a % of the royalties from the product.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Patents

If I were you, I would submit your idea to an existing hunting related manufacturer because patenting is a long and expensive process. First, get them to sign a nondisclosure agreement so they can't take your idea. Then submit your idea and if is worth pursuing, they will take care of the patent costs. You will receive a % of the royalties from the product.
I have 6 patents and several pending....this is the way to go. It's not cheap, and the best you can hope for is some of the royalties. This will take 3 years or so to go through "the system"

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
If it's used in another industry, it can't be patented b/c it's an existing product. If it's some other product that you are improving on or substantially modifying for a certain application in teh hunting industry, then maybe.

I've been mulling the idea of submitting a utility patent for my climbing sticks that I designed.... but the cost and aggravation have kept me from doing it until I have some spare cash to throw at the project.:set1_thinking:

-ZA

I did not even look into the patent process yet. My idea is simple but effective. It is used in other industries but with some modifications it can be used in the hunting world. There was never a need for it before because hunting strategies are diffent now from back then. As new products surfaced in the market this tool would become useful with today's technolgy.

Here is a perfect example: Cam cleats were around forever they were used mostly on boats to hold ropes using a cam action. Muddy came out with their climbing sticks and have the cam cleat on them to lock down the tie rope that holds the stick to the tree. This is an example of bringing over an existing product over from one application to another.

I will read up more on patents as I put the final touches on the final product.

thanks!

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is a lower cost way to get money from your idea. You do need a nondisclosure agreement, but I can tell you from experience most will be quicker to try and find a way to just use you for your info and not pay you a penny. If you are serious, get a Lawyer. Most will consult with you at little to no cost for your first visit. Just do some research on who you use.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,689 Posts
Trust me

pitch your idea to a company - the patent process is a pain - you said it yourself - "not trying to get rich" - hopefully if the idea is solid an established co. will adopt your idea - pay you outright for it and then make thier money selling it under their label.

Even if you can sustain the patent process you would most likely sell it to a co. anyway - the financial benefit would likely not be much different, but you would have the confidence that someone won't "rip you off". You could be in a position to bargain for royalties, but likley won't get that offer from the big co.'s - it really is a daunting task, that most get frustrated with......

Maybe you could get lucky and get on the TV reality show "Sharks" been waiting to see a hunting/outdoor product getting pitched there

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lots of caveats for patents. My brother is a patent lawyer, and I could probably get you some time to talk with him for no charge. Shoot me a PM if interested. I will tell you that I would not submit any idea to ANYONE or any company without a fully executed NDA that meets all requirements for your state...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts