Archery Talk Forum banner

New rangefinder - Vortex vs. Leupold

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Huntin Hard 
#1 ·
Been thinking about getting a rangefinder and have narrowed it down to the Leupold RX-1000i with DNA/TBR and the Vortex Ranger 1000 with HCD.
Had read about the Vortex warranty so I checked it out on their site - very impressive, and being waterproof (which the Leupold is not) is also a plus.

I've checked out the Leupold and Vortex at the local Bass Pro - liked the brightness and clarity of the optics on both. You can see the difference vs the cheaper Leupold units - 600i, etc.
I haven't found any negative reviews on either but the warranty and waterproof feature of the Vortex has got me leaning.
Any Vortex owners want to chime in?

From the Vortex site:

Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all riflescopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes and monoculars.

Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
Fully transferable
No warranty card to fill out
No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

See less See more
#3 ·
I ended up getting a leica 1000r after researching all 3. Just a little higher price but glass alone is worth the difference. Don't think you can go wrong with those 2 tho. Seen a few bad reviews on both but I believe some of the earlier vortex had some problems but supposed to have been fixed

#4 ·
I had it narrowed down to both same models from Vortex and Leupold. It was a very tough choice between the 2 but I decided to go with the Leuopold because I felt the optics and speed of ranging was slightly better on the Leupold. I love the warranty aspect of the Vortex and I suspect if your stuff gets banged around a lot or if you are out in the elements then I would go with the Vortex. I tend to treat my equipment with kid gloves so the warranty was as big of a factor, knowing that Leupold also has an excellent warranty, just not lifetime. You won't go wrong with either.

#9 ·
Both are good choices... I like the vortex lifetime warranty.... if you need pricing let us know

#10 ·
I just went through this last week. I was stuck on the Vortex or Leupold DNA 1000 and wanted the Vortex because I have their Viper HD's (awesome nocs btw). When I tested them side by side the Leupold was better in everyway possible with the exception of the warranty.

The DNA 1000 had way better glass and was so crisp and clear it was better than real life. The speed of the DNA was lightning fast where the Vortex was not. The readout was also nicer on the DNA....like I said I wanted the Vortex and went in with all intentions to buy it but the Leupold just blew it away IMO. The decision was easy when compared side by side.

#11 ·
A little heads up on the waterproofness of leupold. They classify their rangefinder as weatherproof. This is because they put their scopes in the waterproof category. Their definition of waterproof is, drop it in a lake....come back 10 years from now and fish it out-dry it off-and mount it to your rifle. Weatherproof, by leupold 's definition, is anything your body can withstand. I purchased the zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, leupold 1000 tbr/DNA. Swarovski was slooooow, zeiss waaaay to bulky and the leupold and Leica were perfect. Edge to Leica for clarity. You CAN most certainly get your leupold 1000 wet. Soaking wet. They (leupold) just said don't count on it functioning at their higher standard of waterproofness. This information is on their website, brochure and customer service. Just call and ask. Buy the way, buddy of mine bought the 1000 tbr/DNA and the illumination gave out at the bottom. You could still read the yardage just not the battery indicator ect... He called leupold and said he was in the middle of his season. Leupold told him to drop in in @ ups and email the shipping confirmation. Leupold overnighted his replacement and emailed a tracking # before he got home. Got to love the service of higher quality manufacturers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.