Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I purchased an inexpensive bow (Bear Firebird) as a pandemic hobby, and I'm debating whether to upgrade to a better bow. Trouble is I'm not sure if I'm ready for it.

My issues with the Firebird are
  • Past 25 yards, the arrow just drops. If I aim at the sky, it might hit a 4x4 target.
  • The arrow pulls to the left. I typically aim 3-4 feet to the right of what I want to hit.
  • The arrow wobbles quite a bit coming off the string. Could be a mismatched arrow, but doesn't feel like it.
I can hit the center semi-consistently with this bow, but I'll be damned if I can tell what I'm doing right when that happens and what I'm doing wrong the rest of the time. That's the frustrating part. It's hard to practice that way, especially without someone with more experience to give me some tips.

I'm not one to blame the equipment, but I have a kid's fiberglass bow that's probably older than I am that shoots straighter and farther. That makes me think the issue isn't entirely me being a novice.

Will I find it easier to learn on a slightly better bow, or should I keep plugging away with what I have? If the latter, what the heck am I doing that has the arrow flying so far to the left of where I point it?

And if folks think a slightly better bow would make it easier to learn, any opinions on these? I'm thinking a 40-45#.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
No, you find it easier to learn if someone tells you what your doing wrong.

Google "USA Archery coach locator'. Most likely will have equipment to try so you can make an educated purchase. Look for a Level 4 coach, if there's none near you Level 3 would surely be OK.

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have shot the pse snake bow enough to know those youth bows will.pur an arrow in the right place if your alignment is good and you have a reasonably spine arrow. Find a coach to watch you shoot first. What arrows are you shooting, it sounds like they are eat too stiff.

·
Registered
21,368 Posts
Ryan -

Read these:

and

While it might seem that you have an equipment mismatch, we can't see what you're doing. Finding an instructor or making an effort to find a local club or range would be in your best interest.

BTW - I and my students have sub-30# bows that will reach 70 meters without breaking a sweat.

Viper1 out.

Reactions: BarneySlayer
1 - 4 of 4 Posts