Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just going to start shooting recurve. I have been shooting compound for about two years now.

In terms of setting up the recurve:

what rest would you recommend. Is a simple stationary fork o.k. to use?

Any help is much appreciated
Can I use a d loop and release?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If your going to use a release,,and there's absolutely no reason out side of competition rules that you can't,,then yes a fork type rest will work fine.
If your going to be shooting fingers you really want a rest with a side plate or plunger,or shoot off the shelf.
The amount of paradox changes from shooting with a release to shooting with your fingers.
The release imparts less paradox due to it's releasing in pretty much a straight line,so the fork will work.
A finger release results in the string rolling off/around your fingers and imparts more paradox,so for the best results you really want a side plate for the arrow to ride against during that part of the arrows travel.
I shot a compound with fingers and a fork style rest for years,but I did have to compensate for it with my tuning,and both arms of my rest were not even,,,it was a real compromise,but at the time I didn't realise there was a difference,,,,,pre internet and self taught:eek:

If I was going to shoot recurve with a release I wouldn't bother with a loop.
I'd just use an alloy jawed model an keep it polished,which is exactly what I've done in the past with compounds once I got around to trying a release.
I never had any undue wear on my serving doing this,and as far as I know niether did anybody else before the loop idea came along.

The only issue I'd have with shooting a release is that you would be forced to shoot in an open or compound class if you wanted to shoot competitions.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts