Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Times are hard over here due to economy... I haven't gotten a raise in 2 years and this year they are going to start furloughs...
I wanted to buy a new bow but I think I will settle on accessorizing up my little pink parker sidekick:star:

Was hoping u ladies(and eavesdropping guys:rolleyes:) could give me some tips and ideas to get me started on quality things that will help but not break the bank. cause I need opinions...

the major first 3 things I need

:star:New sight that are not made of plastic ...5 pins ?(I hate the pos plastic cobra sight that came with the package) somewhere last year I read a thread on quality sights that won't break the bank but I can't seem to find it anymore)

:star:new peep... I hate the tubing I have now http://www.stringsplitter.net/ think these will work and what size?

:star:New release... I have tiny wrists and tiny hands and I've been using a hand me down release that I pad to keep on my wrist and have to stretch my fingers

I have a hostage rest that is still in excelent condition but I've also been curious about these FOBs http://www.starrflight.com/ and I would have to get a drop away for that... so would a drop away rest work better on my bow even if I decide against FOBs... or should I just chunk the whole FOB/dropaway rest idea?

saw these... http://bowrattler.com/ they look nice...

I saw those torqueless hand grips but don't think they make any for my bow.

My hunting buddy and archery mentor(and u do not want to get me started on why I'm not asking him for ideas:thumbs_do) told me I should have my arrows cut longer than I have them now cause that would make them heavier and help me in target and hunting... is he right on this?

he also disses my using feathers... told me I should be shooting blazer vanes.... should I?

I'm not trying to make up for anything with all the new gizmos but don't want to stubbornly stick to using old stuff when something else might work better

oh and if I have a little extra spending money I would like to get a pink hand sling thingy... and maybe swap my stabilizer for a pink one too... ya now... to keep things looking coordinated:shade:

·
Registered
18,299 Posts
So Ease dropping guy here, it is typically more civil over here.

Sight- tru glo extreme or maybe an Extreme archery both for 40-70, Trophy ridge makes the punisher it is ok, but have heard somethings about the mounting bracket.

Peep- Girlfriend (anathema2208) had string splitter mini on her bow and loved it, she is more accurate with the super peep she put on but the string splitter is nice rather expensive though. I like my Tru-peep

release- a hand release is nice but you can get the scott little goose for a decent price and it will fit you. or the Tru-fire patriot JR

Rest- if you like the fobs your going to have to get a a decent one with a quick drop away, I was shooting my TT shakey hunter messing with fobs and gander had it for 49.99 when I bought it.

Blazers are ok but I am going to feathers I like how they fly better.

Heavier arrow, its all about front of center weight. I know I am shooting a 500 graing arrow and Anathema just had her arrows cut down to 23 inches to get more speed out of her bow. You will have to find a happy medium with weight and speed to get your engergy up for hunting but for 3-d and target in an open class she wanted more speed to make up for yardage miscalculations.

As far as the other stuff I am not sure on any of it.

Sorry for jumping in and good look finding every thing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
FOB's

Re: FOB's.. yes, they can fly AWESOME! However, they are NOT nearly as "forgiving" as feathers or vanes! Unlike with feathers/vanes, which have some "give" when brushing up against something, if the FOB encounters the TINIEST obstruction.. twig so small you can't see it, some leaves, blades of grass.. any little thing... the arrow will veer way off, totally miss the target, and chances are you'll never find that arrow! That's happened to some VERY good archers, so I know it's not just cuz of "iffy" shooting! :D I definitely wouldn't recommend them for hunting, or the type of 3-D courses we have in our area.

Hope you find a comfy well-fitting release, a sight you like, and/or other goodies to help you enjoy your bow! :D Happy shooting! :D

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
i agree w/ what docmort put up there..as for fobs, i shot them for a few months(made the switch to vanes cuz we cant shoot them for ASA), but they do shoot very good, dont get thrown off track on those windy days, tested that shooting at 70 yards on a windy day, hit right where my pin was everytime, but i wouldnt shoot groups w/ the fobs as they will break if your arrow hits them..they are really nice tho, when you shoot an animal and get a pass thru the fob pops off and marks your shot(nice if you have to give the animal any amount of time to expire)

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I am in process of building a box to put your stuff in, should ship it today, enjoy and if you ever get ready to get rid if the sights just send them back as they do have some sentimental value to me!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in process of building a box to put your stuff in, should ship it today, enjoy and if you ever get ready to get rid if the sights just send them back as they do have some sentimental value to me!!
will do! thank you sooooo much!!!

and thank you everyone else for all the good advice and tips!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts