Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello at! I am new to the archerytalk community and to the sporting goods world! I recently opened a small sporting goods store the small town of enterprise, ms. I am slowing accumulating inventory for our store and just have a couple of questions...

Without spending a million dollars (hahaha) what equipment do i need to be able to service the archery customers in the community?

And are what brand products would you recommend (as far as equipment goes)... Press, bow vice, arrow saw, fletching jig, etc???

·
Registered
671 Posts
Definately those you just listed...I dont own a store but just speaking from a customer stand point. When I go in, I want the dealer to have everything needed to fullfil my needs ( I know I sound like a woman, lol).

Anything for arrows is a necessity ie: jig, saw, glue, extra fletching in different sizes and colors.
Bow Press, a scale of some sort to see what their poundage is, maybe a practice target to take a shot at (if room is available), the tools needed to set nocks, peeps, and rests.

As I stated, i'm not a business owner nor do I know A LOT about what you need. Just from what I see whenever I show up. Hope this somewhat helps.

·
Lowered expectations
18,518 Posts
Having the tools is one thing, knowing how to use them properly and safely is just as important.

Since you don't know what tools you need, obviously you don't know much about the technical side of archerty equipment. I hope you have someone on staff who's experienced in servicing bows - otherwise I'd respectfully suggest you get yourself or a staff member trained before attempting to work on customers' equipment.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i agree, and we do have people available for that. But we are also learning as well. Thanks for the input.
ut

Sorry but this sounds a little fishy? If you had locals that are experienced and have the knowledge to service bows, how come you don't just ask them? Anyway, not saying you're not being sincere but this just doesn't sound right? Nonetheless, good luck in your new endeavor.

·
Registered
52,314 Posts
ut

Sorry but this sounds a little fishy? If you had locals that are experienced and have the knowledge to service bows, how come you don't just ask them? Anyway, not saying you're not being sincere but this just doesn't sound right? Nonetheless, good luck in your new endeavor.
Exactly my thoughts---------sorry but this guy is doomed in the archery business before he even invests----unless he gets someone that knows what they are doing. I don't understand if he has experienced people what is he doing on here asking these questions. Getting started in a business you need to know more than your customer before you get started.

·
Registered
63 Posts
well to be honest with you, we know what we are buying and what we are doing and we know that you can always learn more from others, especially outside of our usual network of friends. we are new to this archery talk and we are just trying to be friendly and ask easy questions just to get started and established on here without sounding like we know everything. we dont know everything and we are learning new stuff all the time. We thought just friendly conversation on here would be a good start but obviously we are getting shot down and rejected anyway. My friend told us that this site was a good way to get involved with the bow hunting community and we thought that you guys would give info on things that help you in the woods and at tournaments. We love learning whats new and what you as a bow hunter find helpful. Yes, we are new to having a bow shop, Yes we have a lot more to learn.

·
Vendor
84,694 Posts
Well first off Welcome To A.T . I understand your question and Im not sure why people want to try to nock you when they dont know anything about you and your future business and yes asking questions for suggestions is a great way to learn some new things to help you in your new business. You will get some good advise and you will get some that is not so good . There are some great people on this site and some that think they know everything and think there way is the only way . Well for starters do a search for bow press and archery tools in the search section and that will help you out some and there are also threads started that will help you try different methods of working on bows and the basic tuning questions. Just remember there have been alot of shops have to shut the doors because they went crazy on wanting to fill there shop full of inventory. God bless.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Boarman to the rescue. Nice job Terry.

To the OP. Good luck to you, tough to start up a new business in this economy. I wish you well. From a customer standpoint. Knowledgeable employees with a smile and good attitude are paramount. I don't expect a huge inventory, but as much as possible to get a feel for a product is always nice.

If you are going to be an "archery shop", someone with real knowledge about setting up a bow, and tuning one, is going to be key. I would do all I could to find and retain someone with those skills.

The rest you can work into over time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Thanks to Boarman and Bess227! I appreciate your "positive" input! The guys who started this thread are personal friends of mine and they are great guys! There store has been open for a few months now and THEY ARE DOING WELL I might add! I dont see anything "fishy" about asking a couple questions. There desire is not necessarily to be an "archery shop" as they clarified the fact that both of them have a lot to learn! They carry hunting apparell of all kinds and fishing as well. I recommended them to the ARCHERYTALK family because thats what this place has been for me in the short time that I have been a member. Ask questions, learn, talk about everything archery under the sun, and have fun! Thanks for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
These guys are in my area and hope they do well. Decent techs are nearly extinct around here.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Hello at! I am new to the archerytalk community and to the sporting goods world! I recently opened a small sporting goods store the small town of enterprise, ms. I am slowing accumulating inventory for our store and just have a couple of questions...

Without spending a million dollars (hahaha) what equipment do i need to be able to service the archery customers in the community?

And are what brand products would you recommend (as far as equipment goes)... Press, bow vice, arrow saw, fletching jig, etc???
I would try to become a Mathew's, Hoyt, and Bowtech dealer if possible. I'm not saying these three are the best but they are the best known and asked for.

·
Registered
800 Posts
To the OP... Welcome to AT.. There's a wealth of knowledge on this site.. You will, no doubt, have to do some filtering to find some of it.. As far as equipment goes, this is a good place to find feedback on what works and what doesn't.. I suspect that you already have a handle on some of that.. If there's anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to fire off a PM...... Maxx.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,589 Posts
you need to learn to service bows the right way. learn the ins and outs of tuning such as adding knock points to strings where needed for speed.

you also need a draw board, not just a peg on the wall. learn to put a peep in the right way instead of cheating it and selling everyone a tube peep.

usually a shop wont stock the clothing line i want anyhow or the sizes so i wouldnt bother there. keep a variety of sights, parts, quivers, strings and every day things someone might want like tips for different arrows, a selection of broadheads.

i go to my shop when they have something i needed yesterday. ive learned to do my own bow work so i just use the vice at my local club. its not about what you carry its about the service. if im coming to buy something for my bow or to have something fixed you better have a place to shoot it or i wont be back. i dont care if its five feet.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
First off,before spending alot of unessesary money,hire a good tech that knows what he is doing!He can help you in the buying of the tools you really need and for go any usless items.If your new to the sport then his advice will be invaluable.Make sure that he knows the job.Get references as to what former Pro shops hes worked at etc.Joe blow can talk a good story,but a great one will have the paperwork to back it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.